Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    single track ****

night rides 2/1 & 2/3 invite

Meeting up at Mtn High Cyclery tonight about 7, and about 7:30-45 at Redstone Bike in Lyons on Thur. eve.

Stupid and Dangerous
    How long do the night rides usually take (the wife will ask)?

Also my lighting is primitive and poor (probably a headlamp and a oldschool cats eye bar light), would I be shunned if I showed up poorly equipped?

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mango
    How long do the night rides usually take (the wife will ask)?

Also my lighting is primitive and poor (probably a headlamp and a oldschool cats eye bar light), would I be shunned if I showed up poorly equipped?
    Last week, I got back to Lyons at 11pm. Bring whatever lights you've got. It'll just add to the challenge! We're not discriminating types, just out for fun riding.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Perpetually single track
    Hey Migz, my tues/thurs are booked for the time being...if you do a mon/wed ride, please let me know.

"All Hell Breaks Loose"
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by front range migz
    Meeting up at Mtn High Cyclery tonight about 7, and about 7:30-45 at Redstone Bike in Lyons on Thur. eve.
    What kind of shape are the trails in up there?

single track ****

typically great shape

Quote Originally Posted by miSSfit
    What kind of shape are the trails in up there?

Usually cold enough to ensure no mud, and trails vary from dry to snow packed to ice(usually a little of each). Rides are never boring, fun is had, all are welcome, light not necessary if your comfortable w/ sharing light(we'll squeeze ya in between 2 riders w/ lights) we can cut rides short or extend for whoever shows. Goal is fun, and all are welcome. ibmkid111- I'll holler at ya if I ride on mon or wed- I was planning on visiting buddy that just moved to Grn. Mtn area, and I've never riddin it, so maybe we'll hook up there. If not, I'll dream up a Saturday group ride sometime soon.

Bodhisattva
    How about this Saturday morning Migz?
    My Tues & Thurs have been jammed this winter, and this week is no exception.
    Life....the original terminal illness

jl
    climb
    Always an adventure ...

Migz, green mtn might be a little tame for you. Let me know if you want to do Dakota Ridge...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride On!

Perpetually single track
    Man...I'm very anti-nightriding Dakota...and even more anti posting about it if you do. People would/could see your light from quite a ways away...bad biking publicty/mojo if you're caught....

*shrug*....

My cup runneth over
    Seems like someone mentioned that GMtn is actually legal to ride at night - might have been Ignazjr... Not too many other spots

trail waggler

Go Bernie...

Sometime I'm going to make it over that darn rock. Bill did, I should give it a better try

Nice pic!

Fair amount of snow around Lyons, 5-6" up Blue Mtn. Rd. at the house I'm framing. We got about 12" up here near Allenspark.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Man...I'm very anti-nightriding Dakota...and even more anti posting about it if you do. People would/could see your light from quite a ways away...bad biking publicty/mojo if you're caught....

*shrug*....
    This is probably my misunderstanding I thought Migz was talking about green mountain on Saturday, not night riding
    Ride On!

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII

*shrug*....
    Well, let me know if you guys ever decide to ride Dakota at night - so that I can show up and shun you for it. I promise that I'll lecture both before and after the ride is complete - for good measure - maybe even mid ride, depending on the pace....

mtbr member

Not legal to night ride?

I know that some of the parks are "closed" between dusk/dawn but I have done a ton of night rides all over the front range without issue. My assumption is that all is good if you park outside of the lots and ride in, don't bring attention to self by acting dumb, and if you start at dusk before the park"closes" the rangers really could care less. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I live close to APEX and you all are welcome to park at my house and ride to the trails.(although parking is limited "

Perpetually single track
    Not just to marinjp, but to all...FWIW. Green Mtn. is open until 10pm for riding. All jeffco open space is open dawn/dusk. All national forest 24/7. Anything outside those hours would be a nice little poaching activity. I ain't gonna play dad to all you biking bums, but if ya do decide to poach, please do it an ethical and discrete way. Don't damage the trails, especially don't leave tire tracks on hiking only trails, and don't get caught.....not that I have ever poached any trails....it's all second hand knowledge, I swear.

And JL...my bad, with the night riding pics and all I thought you were talking about paoching Dakota.

Oh yeah, and some local folks HAVE been caught poaching...it can range from a warning to a fine.
    Last edited by ibmkidIII; 02-01-2005 at 08:08 PM.

mtbr member

Ahh! Be Discreet...

and you beat the heat! IBMKID, I appreciate the concern and wil head the warning, but...The idea that folks have been fined for "poaching" open space at night is a new concept for me. I would love to know who to and where this has occured in the FR. What about Golden trails, like Chimney Gulch? It's Not jeffco open space as far as I know. I know people who ride horses, hike and snowshoe and...at night in these parks. Do they get fines as well? If I backpack into national forest with a tent is that "poaching" if I am there after dark or ride in with a BOB trailer? I never poach land that is "hiking only", wilderness, bentonite or otherwise should not be ridden. My riding ONLY consists of legal MTB use trails. I don't mean to be a pest here, I am just mystified by the concept that fines are being doled out to folks for respectfully riding on legal trails, even at night. I have literally ridden hundreds of night miles here and elswhere, sometimes with people on BLM or Open Space payroll and I have never heard that this was an issue until now.

Perpetually single track
    Interesting...I'm not about to give names out, but I know theres a few people on this forum who have had negative interactions with rangers during "off hours". If they wish to pipe up, that's their choice. In particular, it's been in BCOS that I've heard of people getting tagged. Haven't heard any stories from JCOS honestly....but you're the first person I know of who openly rides them at night...

As to Chimney Gulch, I'm pretty sure it's on JCOS property, though I don't know that for sure:
    http://ci.golden.co.us/page.asp?navid=321

Sorry if you misread the post on National Forest, but what I meant is it's open 24/7/365 for riding...as to camping there are certian regulations you have to (should) abide by and depending on the national forest. When I've "broken" the camping laws before, all the rangers I've chatted with are cool about it...they'll either make you pay up what u owe, or ask you to move along...chances of running into a ranger in NF is damn low though.

Fines CAN be given to anyone who breaks any of the JCOS laws/rules, utilizing the trails after hours is just one of them. On the plus side it rarely(never?) happens, but a ranger is well within their right to ticket you for said offense.

My main point (along with all my other points), is if you're gonna do it, don't make a big deal of it on a public forum and certianly don't get caught.

mtbr member

BCOS-that makes more sense

It has been my experience and I can only speak of my experience that BCOS hands out more "warnings" or tickets in general. JCOS seems to be way more tolerant of us bikers, especially the ones that ride in control, stop to talk to them and yield trail, etc. I rarely have been out at night, especially during the warmer weather months, and been the only "nightrider" on the trails here in the FR. When it comes close to 24 hour race season, GM and other trails are as busy at night as they are during the day-talk about the obvious HID lite bop. And I have not known or heard of anyone in my group of riding friends that have been sanctioned for riding trails at night. If this is a more common occurance than I am aware of then I think a group of us should try to work with Open Space to negotiate for "legal" trail access at night. I mean, I usually ride at night anyway from June to October so that I can avoid the masses (and the heat) on the trail during daylight hours. Night riding is a great solution to overcrowding-which leads to user conflicts

Evil Lurks

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Last time I checked, Migz was still on the FBI's top 10 most wanted. Heinous crimes like riding his bike.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by marinjp
    JCOS seems to be way more tolerant of us bikers.
    A buddy of mine got fined for night riding Dakota Ridge last year. Fine was $60 or so.

I think a lot of it is up to the discretion of the Rangers. JCOS has more of it's own rangers and BCOS only has one. Because of that, most of Boulder County is patrolled by the Sheriff and they're a little harder nosed.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member

Wow, that's a steep ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    A buddy of mine got fined for night riding Dakota Ridge last year. Fine was $60 or so.

I think a lot of it is up to the discretion of the Rangers. JCOS has more of it's own rangers and BCOS only has one. Because of that, most of Boulder County is patrolled by the Sheriff and they're a little harder nosed.
    I wonder if other types of trail users are getting tickets as well. I realize that managers have the right to close parks at night and sanction violators, but this seems like an area where discussion with these land managers may be needed, although even bringing it up could make them aware that it is happening more than they think and skrew it up for all of us that have not been fined. If night mtb use is being targeted above other types of after hours use of these parks then there is a problem. I wonder if other communities have fogured out a nice way to aproach this issue. I will throw it out to the Passion group as well.
    -J

Obviously Single

If you want change, organize ...

Quote Originally Posted by marinjp
    I wonder if other types of trail users are getting tickets as well. I realize that managers have the right to close parks at night and sanction violators, but this seems like an area where discussion with these land managers may be needed, although even bringing it up could make them aware that it is happening more than they think and skrew it up for all of us that have not been fined. If night mtb use is being targeted above other types of after hours use of these parks then there is a problem. I wonder if other communities have fogured out a nice way to aproach this issue. I will throw it out to the Passion group as well.
    -J
    Hi JP:

I can't speak for JeffCo, but in Boulder Co, BCPOS does not allow night riding (or hiking, or riding on horses, etc.)

IMHO, this is really a resource issue. In other words, it costs money to allow folks at night.

You might ask why the USFS doesn't have this problem -- but don't ask me, ask a Lawyer.

Again, as far as BCPOS, they really really don't like it, but they don't have many folks to enforce this. (They actually have 3 rangers, Dave, two of which are bikers and one of which is a horse rider. But they *do* use the Sheriff a bunch.)

So if you don't park your car in the parking lot, it pretty much takes a 1-in-a-thousand coincidence, or it takes somebody complaining. Oh yeah, and leaving bike tracks on hiker-only trails is always bad, since it will likely generate complaints to the County.

Now City of Boulder, that's a whole 'nother beast -- and a very bike-unfriendly one, at that (again, IMHO).

If you want to change the hours of closure in the BCPOS parks, come join BOA with me and help us work with the County. I can introduce you to some of the folks that supervise the rangers (her name is Pascal, and she is very bike-friendly).

In the mean time, if you (or anybody else) rides at night, please keep in mind what will happen if you generate complaints or get caught.

Zen question: if you ride at night, in the middle of nowhere, and nobody else knows, does it make a sound? :-)
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Seems like someone mentioned that GMtn is actually legal to ride at night ...
    That's right, Green Mountain is in JeffCo, but it's a City of Lakewood park and it is open until 10:00pm every night, all year long.

Cheers,

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Dig it!

I think I briefly met you out at the IMBA/buff creek trail day/epic in Oct? I got someone's BOA card. I havn't had the opportunity to make a meeting but I am interested in organizing on this and other MTB issues. Do you have a schedule of BOA happenings?
    -J

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    In the mean time, if you (or anybody else) rides at night, please keep in mind what will happen if you generate complaints or get caught.

Zen question: if you ride at night, in the middle of nowhere, and nobody else knows, does it make a sound? :-)

One of these days i'm going to freak out and call and write and email everyone I can think of about the pesky pedestrians that keep getting in my way. That'll teach 'em!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast