The 5th knuckle

Nice customer service - Crankbrothers

I lost the end cap to my Candy 3's and needed a replacement. I called customer service expecting the 3rd degree and got the exact opposite. The guy was super nice, said send him an email and they will send a set of caps out. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I like simple and nice. Simple and nice is good. Kind of like me, simple. Nice, not everyone agrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    I lost the end cap to my Candy 3's and needed a replacement. I called customer service expecting the 3rd degree and got the exact opposite. The guy was super nice, said send him an email and they will send a set of caps out. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I like simple and nice. Simple and nice is good. Kind of like me, simple. Nice, not everyone agrees.
    I have a feeling they're used to it having heard of the dependability reputation they've built over the years. Not so good..
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've had similar good service from them. And the dependability of my pedals has been fine, despite my best efforts to bash them on rocks as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm kind of curious if all the people that complain about their products actually use them. I've used CB pedals for ~15 years and only switched to new ones because I wanted a slightly bigger platforms. First pair lasted me 10 years and I didn't actually take care of them or rebuild them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah, mine have been great. I had a pair of SL's break a spring, and CB could no longer repair that model so they sold me a new pair of 3's for dealer cost. That pair is still going strong. No other pair has broken on me.

They are also pretty easy to self service.

The 5th knuckle
    I'm pretty harsh on pedals. Trashed countless pairs of SP's. I switched to CB about 6 years ago and this was the first problem I've ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have had 3 pairs. Each one lasting about a year and then they fail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I know a lot of people that have had constant problems with everything crankbrothers. I, however, have had no problems except for the occasional 10 minute $10 rebuild.

I bought used 2Ti pedals back in 2009...who knows how old they were. I've been on them 90% of my biking since that time including MTB, commuting, and CX racing...swapping them around from bike to bike. No problems. I recently bought the new 3's as a 2nd pair...not much use yet, but I see no reason to doubt them if I take care of them.

If I have any complaint...the cleats needs to be of steel. The brass wears too quickly...and at $20+ a pair at your local shop...it gets frustrating. I suppose a steel cleat will prematurely wear the wings of the pedals though....who knows.

To stay on actual topic...glad they continue to have great/quick service for problems...maybe I'll need to use it one day.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They could save some $$ on the customer service department if they spent more on research and development.

I had one of their Cobalt seatposts. The thing had about a quarter inch hole in the top of it. Didn't seem like a problem at first until months later I took apart my bottom bracket for service and found what looked like a small sandbox around the bottom bracket shell. The damn hole in the seatpost was letting in all the pebbles and mud kicked up by my back tire. Sure, a dab of silicone would fix it but come on guys, design a better product. How do you miss a detail like this!?

Their wheels "look" cool, but good luck finding a spare spoke if you break one.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    Their wheels "look" cool, but good luck finding a spare spoke if you break one.
    Nah, its cool. You probably only need like half the spoke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Are you sure you are taking about the same company that makes the "joplin" post, because does guys suck goats..

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Are you sure you are taking about the same company that makes the "joplin" post, because does guys suck goats..
    Well I'm not a fan of CB due to their bad rep for dependability. But I can vouch for the first generation Joplin adjustable seat post w/ remote. The first generation was basically a Maverick Speedball re-badged. When Crank Brothers bought the design from Maverick it was a great post until the second year when Crank Brothers tweaked the design to make it better....NOT. Every generation since the first one has had problems. Mine in the first generation and has worked flawlessly since 2008'.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A