Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Stand back

New Shop in Golden

As of a week ago last Friday, Golden was officially a 4 bike shop town.
    Pedal Pushers relocated to the old Big Ring location on the east end of town.

I stopped in and talked to the owner a bit. Nice guy, and he plans to cater to whatever the locals want/ need. I mentioned that the gravity side is neglected on this side of town.

He also employs a former Push tech, so probably where I'll go for fork service after tax returns come back...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Thread Terrorist
    Ditto. Eric know's suspension and understand shocks / forks. I hope they bust a move on the gravity side of things. At least they're open on Saturdays!

BTW, Big Ring doesn't count as a bike shop. That's not a shop but rather a black hole of customers pissed off.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Ditto. Eric know's suspension and understand shocks / forks. I hope they bust a move on the gravity side of things. At least they're open on Saturdays!

BTW, Big Ring doesn't count as a bike shop. That's not a shop but rather a black hole of customers pissed off.
    What customers? Roadies? Does that count?

mtbr member
    Big Ring... as in resembles zero... as in how much they care about you if you don't drop $15K on a road bike there?

mtbr member
    I saw that Pedal Pushers was going in when I was driving by a couple of weeks ago. I say, welcome to Golden. It's not bad living in a place where there are so many bike shops. It shows what a great cycling community Golden is and is becoming. I'd guess there are more riders per capita in Golden than there are in any other Front Range community, Boulder included. I personally like all the shops in town and, though I don't know Pedal Pushers, each shop seems to have a decent niche, which is cool.

I'll just take a minute to defend Big Ring's honor. They've been really good to me and I think they are much better shop than people give them credit for. First, I'll acknowledge that right up front that they, in the past, really haven't catered to the mtb community and I know I initially wasn't a big fan when I first went in back when they were in the old location. But they've been working with my XC race team for the last few years and BR is a much different place than it was four or five years ago. To be frank, they carry some of the coolest bikes around -- and I'm talking about their mtbs, not their road bikes. They're really aren't that many shops that are focused on the high-end, but BR is, which is pretty cool. The wrenches are good guys who race XC and CX and do a very good job. If your opinion is set, then so it goes, but Big Ring is a really good shop that is increasingly focused on some killer mountain bikes.

Thread Terrorist
    Kyle,
    I know they've been working hard to repair their tarnished image. My first experience was them throwing (yep, throwing) a tool at me because I wanted to pull my own cranks instead of letting them do it for a fee. They ensured me that the crank puller was the right one. It wasn't. I went to return it and they claimed I had already used it and couldn't take it back. whatever. They're stock sucks in my opinion.

When I've done bike repair day's in my neighborhood to raise money for the MS150, every shop in town was behind me except them. Not only that, my neighbors came out of the wood work complaining about their service (or lack thereof)... I ended up repairing 5 bikes that day due to their issues. Above that, all had some story about how horrible they were treated. The customers were literally ripped off (claimed to have changed out cables when they didn't). Seems that if you don't show up with a wad of cash and an elitist attitude, they turn you away (When I inquired about buying an 8 inch rotor and a Maxxis 2.35 tire, the said "We don't stock parts for those types of people".... WTF?)

One of the repair guys kept trying to hit on my wife when at the brewery. Thankfully he's no longer there.

My hood has a lot of riders, and a huge network beyond that. Mtn, road, etc. They've latched on to Green Mountain Sports, Golden Bike Shop and Peak Cycles... All purposely avoiding BR as a passion. They have bigger issues with them than I did.

I would like to see BR change their attitude and be part of the community. And from what I understand, they have been. I'm glad to see that you've had a great experience with them, I hope they continue the good work for others. I enjoy having 4 shops to shop around at.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Kyle,
    I know they've been working hard to repair their tarnished image. My first experience was them throwing (yep, throwing) a tool at me because I wanted to pull my own cranks instead of letting them do it for a fee. They ensured me that the crank puller was the right one. It wasn't. I went to return it and they claimed I had already used it and couldn't take it back. whatever. They're stock sucks in my opinion.

When I've done bike repair day's in my neighborhood to raise money for the MS150, every shop in town was behind me except them. Not only that, my neighbors came out of the wood work complaining about their service (or lack thereof)... I ended up repairing 5 bikes that day due to their issues. Above that, all had some story about how horrible they were treated. The customers were literally ripped off (claimed to have changed out cables when they didn't). Seems that if you don't show up with a wad of cash and an elitist attitude, they turn you away (When I inquired about buying an 8 inch rotor and a Maxxis 2.35 tire, the said "We don't stock parts for those types of people".... WTF?)

One of the repair guys kept trying to hit on my wife when at the brewery. Thankfully he's no longer there.

My hood has a lot of riders, and a huge network beyond that. Mtn, road, etc. They've latched on to Green Mountain Sports, Golden Bike Shop and Peak Cycles... All purposely avoiding BR as a passion. They have bigger issues with them than I did.

I would like to see BR change their attitude and be part of the community. And from what I understand, they have been. I'm glad to see that you've had a great experience with them, I hope they continue the good work for others. I enjoy having 4 shops to shop around at.

Yup. My experiences sound very similar, well minus the slobbering bike tech.

I went in for a multi-tool. Is that asking for too much? There were four guys behind the register and not one acknowledged my request. What I found hanging on the wall was a $45 2 gram tool that had about four hex wrenches and nothing else. When I asked again if there were others, I got "what do you need it for?". Mountain Bike is a dirty word in there. They smirked and said they don't have that kind of stuff.

I'll continue to give Peak my repair business, REI my clothing and accessories business, and probably Golden my next bike business (it's a long way off and they have lot's of expensive frames ). Why? Because at least the people working there have personalities (and don't shave their legs). I don't mind paying a little more for quality and service, but at least make an attempt at it.

simple
    On a side note Peak Cycles is moving down the street to a much larger and improved location at the old Foss building on Washington. I'm looking forward to the grand opening party.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    On a side note Peak Cycles is moving down the street to a much larger and improved location at the old Foss building on Washington. I'm looking forward to the grand opening party.
    Yeah!

Nice, though parking will be a little harder unless the door in the rear lot will be accessible.

How about expanding the product line? It looks they have been moving to one of those all "specialized" shops. Bring in the good stuff!

Thread Terrorist
    I like parties! They need a bigger space, and I hope they start stocking more items! For such a small place they actually have good inventory based on who rides in this area.

Thread Terrorist
    What the shops around here do lack (and can corner the market) is repair stuff. There is more of a concentration of self-wrenchers around here than in most places. So having access to tools, parts, etc is key. Our hood almost has its own bike swap going! So if your a shop in Golden, good accessories is key (light armor, bleed kits, components, parts to components, shock & fork repair, tires bigger than 2.1, multiple types of parts (Not just one chain brand, but numerous), chain rings, tools, tools and tools.

Hint: A bike wash would be a great way to attract riders!

Stand back
    I was wondering what was going to happen in the Foss building. Good to hear it's a bike shop. Now we just need a shop to buy a vacant piece of land for ahem, testing purposes...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    That Foss location is a great one for a bike shop. It's a WAY better location for Peak because their shop now is just too small. You guys hear that the book store might go out of business? I know he's looking for ways to keep it afloat. I hope he does. Go in there and buy a book. Now if we could just get a decent casual restaurant, Golden would be perfect.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    Me three! I'm psyched they are moving into that place. Their shop was kind of a liability for them being so small and crowded...

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    That Foss location is a great one for a bike shop. It's a WAY better location for Peak because their shop now is just too small. You guys hear that the book store might go out of business? I know he's looking for ways to keep it afloat. I hope he does. Go in there and buy a book. Now if we could just get a decent casual restaurant, Golden would be perfect.

I'll go check out the Book shop. I haven't been in there.... like ever.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Thumbs Down on th Big Ring

How does Big Ring stay in business? I suppose it's the elitist roadies. Where did Pedal Pushers move from? I am thinking Arvada?
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

Thread Terrorist
    They came in from the Lowry area in Aurora I thinks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveinsasquatch
    How does Big Ring stay in business? I suppose it's the elitist roadies. Where did Pedal Pushers move from? I am thinking Arvada?

I know nothing about Big Ring, but I do know that there are just as many elitist in every aspect of life. It's not just road bikers.

If they do cater to them, so be it. Those people have money, and they're going to buy from someplace.

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    Wasn't there a Pedal Pushers on Leetsdale in the late 80s that had an outdoor stand and free air? Is this the same place?

(where's the geezer emoticon?)

I was happy with the current Peak Cycles location because it's right next to Higher Grounds, and I tend to end up there pretty frequently...

mtbr member
    Isn't Pedal Pusher a chain? I remember working/hanging around a Pedal Pusher when I was in high school (Dallas)?

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    Isn't Pedal Pusher a chain? I remember working/hanging around a Pedal Pusher when I was in high school (Dallas)?
    I don't think its a chain, but I would venture to guess its a common name.

I think there's a "Bicycle Village" and a "Bicycle Pedler" in every city of america, and 90% of them aren't related.

Moosehead
    Pedal Pushers did indeed relo from Lowry out to Golden. They will be missed in the eastside Denver area, but I can understand them moving out to the west side to be in the mecca, and to get to better riding.

In Lowry, they did a good job of serving everyman road and mountain, including families, because that is the market down here. They were more than willing and able to handle both my bike geek mountain parts requests, and my 8-year old daughter's cruiser order. Despite that reality, they also have a cool custom bike build effort and custom fitting expertise. IMO, they will morph into a more serious core shop in Golden to serve the clientele appropriately.

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/pedal-pushers-cyclery-opens-golden-colorado-495535.html#post5424832

Note PP's lines aren't necessarily the boutique manufacturers, but they carry very solid gear, and have a tremendous customer service orientation. I would imagine they are stoked to be in Golden, and would be all ears to the good suggestions above. Hopefully they have the setup to add a bike wash, and to bring it with parts and tools for the core crowd. They quickly became a central part of the relatively new Lowry hood, so it would be a natural no brainer to jump into the Golden bike scene.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

and...

The shop is right next to the Golden Bowl!
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Big ring

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    Big Ring... as in resembles zero... as in how much they care about you if you don't drop $15K on a road bike there?
    Totally agree. The Big Ring jerk actually made derogatory remarks to me, a prospective customer, when I went in there after first moving to Colorado. I won't ever go there again and tell anyone who will listen.

So my question is, how does Big Ring big jag offs stay in business? I'm part roadie and I definitely got ticked off by his attitude. I've never heard anything good about them.

Ridesyeti

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I broke my chain once on South table mountain and I didn't have a chain tool so I coasted down to Big Ring. I rolled my MTB in there and the mechanic loaned me a chain tool and we had a little chat about how nice the trails on south table mountain are for short excursions while I fixed my chain
    I thought I would post my one and only experience with them since everyone else is bashing the crap out of them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast