Kaj
    mtbr member

New Rock Shox Pike

Our Felt rep just stopped by and had a 650b Pike on his Felt Complusion. All black, 35mm stanchions (lighter than the 34mm stanchion fox), and freaking butter smooth.

I want one. It felt really plush. I'm going to put one on my next long travel 29er build. Which now that I just sold my Satori, is looking like only a few weeks away.

The rep said it was super/amazingly stiff. He's a bit of a gear head so he tries just about everything.

The name brings back some nostalgia too. Now if only they will bring back the Judy XL!

Anyway, that's my mini review on a fork that I haven't ridden yet. I wonder if this is how magazines write reviews... I figure there are more than a few of you who ride forks like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Rock Shox Pike-rock-shox-pike-2014-enduro-race-fork-suspension-enduro-mag-mountainbike-magazine-650b-29-26-fact.jpg  

Last edited by Kaj; 04-08-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I cringe at the 15mm, but everything else about that fork looks very sweet! I will own one at some point I'm sure.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I prefer 20mm always too. But I can justify this option to myself as my last fork was a 20mm axle/32mm stanchion Revelation. I was fine with the stiffness, although not blown away. It was definitely better than the 15mm axle/32mm stanchion fox F29 it replaced. That combo always felt like it was going to fold underneath me.

The 35mm stanchion/ 15mm axle on the Pike should be stiffer than my Revelation--which means I'll be happier ramming though the rough.

Now I just need to choose which bike I'm going to put it on.
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    The 35mm stanchion/ 15mm axle on the Pike should be stiffer than my Revelation--which means I'll be happier ramming though the rough.
    I spent a couple days riding the PIKE in Sedona. Even with the 15mm QR it is more Lyrik than Revelation. It rides higher it it's travel than a Fox 34, and is more progressive without feeling harsh. I'm looking forward to getting more time on it.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Here you go, a video and an in-depth look:

RockShox product manager Jeremiah Boobar explains the 2014 Pike. on Pinkbike

Riding RockShox's New 2014 Pike - First Look - Pinkbike

I am bummed about the 15mm axle but then, this is effectively a Fox 34 competitor. The axle is driven by the OEMs wanting to post lightest possible weight on the showroom floor. The fork posts just a hair over 4lbs with 35mm stanchions! and has rather impressive looking guts.
    Let's see what they do with the Lyrik/replacement.
    Lots of progress in the recent times on the suspension front both from RS and Fox (esp. the 40air).

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho