mtbr member
    Mar 2013

new rear tire for the rip 9

so I ride horsetooth 2 times a week I have about 150 miles on my maxxis icon 29er 2.20 rear tire ,and its time for a new tire I have had very good luck with my tire set up but I have to lower the air pressure to 18 19 psi for good traction,and I weigh 200 lbs with gear on bike. so I was thinking of getting the new maxxis icon 2.35 but not sure if it will fit on my 2011 niner rip 9 .

I was also thinking about getting the maxxis minion dhr 2 for the 29er in a 2.30 size that is new for 2013 according to maxxis web sight. some advice would be great and a good place to buy tires also thanks!
    Last edited by jasontech17; 08-11-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    also fyi when I run 18 or 19 psi in my rear tire I can feel the rim hit rocks some times and it worries me I do not want to buynew rims or get a flat this is the reason for a change in set up for my rear tire also I run the ardent 2.25 up front and it works very well at 22 to 25 psi

I'm with stupid
    I liked the racing ralph 2.25 on the back of my 29er. I think you should bet more then 150 miles out of a tire. If it was me I would not buy that ikon again, that is just too fast of wear. Hitting the rim is bad ju ju add moar air!!

Twin Six METAL Team

new rear tire for the rip 9

I'm running a 2.20 IKON on the rear of my Air 9 RDO, and a 2.35 IKON on the front. That setup is working really well.

I also have a 2011-12 RIP 9, and I think a 2.35 IKON would fit just fine. I'm currently running a 2.2 Fast Trak on the rear, and 2.2 Captain on the front...which works really well for this bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I ride in Horsetooth and Lory several times a week as well, and ride a 2014 RIP 9. I use te Continental Mountain King 2.2 in the rear and 2.4 up front with really good grip and reliable traction/cornering. I use substantailly more air than you mention though, 30-35 psi to avoid hitting and damaging my rims. Most often climbing and descending on the Sawmill, Mill Creek and Timber trails.
    I've used as large as a 2.25 Maxxis Ardent in the rear with no issues, and the 2013 RIP I demo'd before buying mine had 2.4's front and rear (but I don't remember what kind).

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontech17 View Post
    so I ride horsetooth 2 times a week I have about 150 miles on my maxxis icon 29er 2.20 rear tire ,and its time for a new tire ...
    Wow. That's pretty danged quick.

I have been using Specialized Captains with the Control Casing 2Bliss as rear tires for several seasons. I get over 800 miles out of them. I find the traction to be very good with 25-28 lbs pressure. Good balance between traction and fast-rolling.

YMMV.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Wow. That's pretty danged quick.

I have been using Specialized Captains with the Control Casing 2Bliss as rear tires for several seasons. I get over 800 miles out of them. I find the traction to be very good with 25-28 lbs pressure. Good balance between traction and fast-rolling.

YMMV.
    the icon on the rear still has tread left but I am worried about low psi to get it to hook up so this is main reason for a change in the rear tire

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    maybe I need to learn to ride my bike with less traction and more air pressure ? I also go up sawmill to herington and down going down I have good traction all the time its just going up at those 2 places on sawmill where the rock stairs are at when I loose traction with high air pressure with low pressure I can make it up both spots

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I second the Mountain King 2.2 for the rear. great traction and good cut protection on the sidewall. Waaay more traction than an Icon, but still rolls pretty well. We have them at the shop, stop in and we can show you other options too.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Third on the mountain king. Great tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    so I think I will go with the mountain king 2.2 for tubeless but do I ask for the mountain king 2 or the original mountain king ? and thanks for all the input !

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Make sure you run more than 18 pounds in it, though...

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontech17 View Post
    so I think I will go with the mountain king 2.2 for tubeless but do I ask for the mountain king 2 or the original mountain king ? and thanks for all the input !
    It's the mountain king 29x2.2 with Protection. It's a $65 tire. We don't stock the non-protection Mountain kings, except for wire bead.

ride
    Mountain Kings are great tires but a pain to set up tubeless unless you've got the RTR model. I haven't seen the tubeless ready version in 29 yet. I converted the non tubeless ready but it took a while. They are very porous.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Third on the mountain king. Did you get is on the amazon?*********************l/ii6iY[/img]

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Mountain Kings are great tires but a pain to set up tubeless unless you've got the RTR model. I haven't seen the tubeless ready version in 29 yet. I converted the non tubeless ready but it took a while. They are very porous.
    It's this one: Continental Mountain King 29x2.2 ProTection Folding. The protection versions tend to be easy to set up tubeless. Don't buy non-Protection. It says Protection on the packaging. It's Conti's word for re-enforced sidewall that is tubeless compatible.

I just read the packaging. It actually says "Pro Tection"

I've been running this on my Spot Honey Badger the past couple months, it's a fun tire. hooks up nice and has a consistent drift when it does break free and re-hook up.