Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New owner at Echo Park

Don't know what, if any impact this has on any possible summer use but as an old stick dodger, I think it's pretty cool.

Echo Mountain ski area bought to be converted into training facility - The Denver Post

Living the High Life
    Must be nice to have parents so supportive that they buy a ski hill for the kids.

DH bike racing took its roots from skiing. I wonder if the new owner would consider DH racers more and build allow trails because of that. I guess the rest of you could have a few trails too.

Only thing though, if a 1/2 dozen people approach them separately (*cough* Clear Creek County *cough*) we'll look like a bunch of confused silly nannies.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    Must be nice to have parents so supportive that they buy a ski hill for the kids.

DH bike racing took its roots from skiing. I wonder if the new owner would consider DH racers more and build allow trails because of that. I guess the rest of you could have a few trails too.

Only thing though, if a 1/2 dozen people approach them separately (*cough* Clear Creek County *cough*) we'll look like a bunch of confused silly nannies.
    Time for all you gravity guys to put together a professional proposal.

And yes, it struck me that it must be nice that someone's Mom is buying them a ski hill... (Actually it's great that a private citizen with the means is doing something significant to support youth ski racing. IMO it's a hell of a lot better than building a new third or fourth home in some ritzy subdivision.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    ...it's a hell of a lot better than building a new third or fourth home in some ritzy subdivision.
    The bought a ski resort/mountain! I'm pretty sure they can do that too
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Almost Human
    Sep 2007

Living the High Life
    Yeah right. I'll just stick to my totally awesome illegal trails that I don't post on the Internet.

Even if gravity had a non-profit organization for just us I'm sure we'd screw it up. We have individual teams; Neverest (mine), Mojo Wheels, aCOS, etc. I think it'd have to start there; but I have enough work running my team.

I don't want to be a pessimist; but I've just been around gravity long enough to be a realist. Hopefully someone will take the reigns and prove me wrong.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Pray for snow!

Thread Terrorist
    Get MT and the crew to man it up and you might have something. We approached the original owners a while back, they were interested but didn't have capitol, nor does any other mtn biker I know to pull off 100's of thousands to make that initial start.

Anything is possible. rally.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

old skool newbie
    I couldn't exactly tell if it is now a private resort or not. Do you have to be a kid training for races?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    You would be better off having COMBA take your membership fees and buy Lotto tickets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I couldn't exactly tell if it is now a private resort or not. Do you have to be a kid training for races?

Sounds private. From the article:

Ski clubs with adult skiers will have access to Echo Mountain terrain on a rental basis.

mtbr member
    If it is private, am I the only one that thinks this kind of sucks? I think the only way you would be able to get access to out there is if her kids take up mountain biking and then maybe.

Well it was nice having a lift less then 15 miles from the house.
    Last edited by MulletSlayer; 08-30-2012 at 07:32 AM.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sounds like initially the focus will be on ski racing for one club with other clubs on a fee basis. Later on who knows, the article does mention new terrain sometime in the future. I may have missed something but it doesn't sound like the park scene is going to be a part of it so if that's what you like you'll have to go elsewhere.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    FWIW if you read her LinkedIn page you'll get a better idea of what the motivation is. Front Range Ski Club.

I noticed she's also a distance runner so maybe someone (Bike Club rep) should drop her a line and ask if she might be interested in partnering with a bike club and starting a "summer training facility" as well?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Don't know what, if any impact this has on any possible summer use but as an old stick dodger, I think it's pretty cool.

Echo Mountain ski area bought to be converted into training facility - The Denver Post
    What a joke. Closed in a year because some rich snobby b*tch can't interact with the Vail trash.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    You would be better off having COMBA take your membership fees and buy Lotto tickets.
    Don't they already do that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    Get MT and the crew to man it up and you might have something. We approached the original owners a while back, they were interested but didn't have capitol, nor does any other mtn biker I know to pull off 100's of thousands to make that initial start.

Anything is possible. rally.
    This is her private residence. I am sure she doesn't want any of you cable draggers "bro"-ifying her property. She can't even put up with the Vail crowd, and you think she'd welcome the buttwheel draggers?

Good luck with that!

The Notorious S.L.O
    I don't the sense that this area will be catering to gravity riders any time in the forseeable future.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So now my road home will be choked with slow moving family SUVs instead of out of control WRX's and Audis full of stoners.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter View Post
    So now my road home will be choked with slow moving family SUVs instead of out of control WRX's and Audis full of stoners.
    That sounds about right.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sucks for the jibber kids. The whole exclusiveness of it being a ski club just for racer brats makes me kinda sick. But if it gets some of the ski racer morons off the slopes of my local hills I guess I'm all for it.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    but if it gets some of the ski racer morons off the slopes of my local hills i guess i'm all for it.
    +1,000,000,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

old skool newbie
    Exclusivity for one small user group seems like a bad business model with little potential for growth, so it may be up for sale agin soon. Start saving your green stamps now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Exclusivity for one small user group seems like a bad business model with little potential for growth, so it may be up for sale agin soon. Start saving your green stamps now.
    My guess is she isn't making the investment to get rich, she already is rich. I bet she has enough money to run this as almost a charity effort. If they even come close to breakeven I'm sure she would be thrilled.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    My guess is she isn't making the investment to get rich, she already is rich. I bet she has enough money to run this as almost a charity effort. If they even come close to breakeven I'm sure she would be thrilled.
    But will she still be so charitable when her kids get sick of ski racing and decide they wanna do something else like figure skating or lacrosse. How about when the kids are out of school and she's stuck with this shitty little private ski hill?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast