mtbr member
    Nov 2007

new to mountain biking

Hey guys

im lookin to get into mountain biking in the mountains and i wanted to know what would be the best bike for me that is under 400 dollars.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Don't think you can really get a good bike for that little. I could be wrong I suppose. I wish I could help you. Everything I buy cost as much as my car.

Shattering Glass
    Used bike

mtbr member
    Used bike
    True. But if you don't know much about bikes how do you know what to get? Buy a bike from your LBS and get what you need the first time even if it costs you a little more. That's what I suggest.

mtbr member
    Don't buy a used bike unless you really know your bikes. Otherwise, there's too much potential to get the wrong bike. The sad answer is that $400 doesn't buy much bike new either.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I would recommend buying a new bike. Depending on what you are looking to do, you could save a few bucks buying a singlespeed like the Redline Monocog, GF Rig, etc... You won't get disc brakes, or lots of gears.. you'll get a rigid bike that rides great for under $500 new.

If gears are important, then perhaps a lower-end hardtail that you can swap out a rigid fork for the suspension fork at a later date. Also, verify that the LBS that you went to had setup the fork with the proper air pressure for your weight. That can make a huge difference to the feel of a bike. I'd try to go to as many shops as I could and ride their entry level mountain bike frames to see which fits best and go with that. You can play with setup and swapping parts as money allows.

mtbr member

Good job!

Welcome to MTBiking BTW I have to agree with them on this the market has changed since i got my 1'st MTB and man i thought that my Neon Yellow TREK 830 was alot. I want to say it was in the $400 hundred range in the early 90's but back then it did come with some good stuff .

ALL i can say is don't buy a bike from any retail store whatever you do It's not worth the money savings,Plus who knows if it was put together right.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ALRIGHT THANKS FOR THE HELP I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO START SAVING

Living the High Life
    You guys are ridiculous, you can ride the front range on lower/mid tech trails with a bike that costs less than $500 easy. Just check Craig's list for used hardtails with good components and a decent fork.

My Specialized needs a fork right now, so I'm going to ride my 7 year old Gary Fischer Tassahara for a while, it will work, just no fast descents (Like when I ride APEX on my DH bike!)

Seriously, a good hardtail isn't that expensive used.

mtbr member
    Will This work? http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1260/29299/ It's not bad for a starter . I would buy this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Living the High Life
    Giant makes great bikes for much less than others. You could find a new Giant from 2007 or 2006 at a discount too.

MTB B'dos
    Gary Fisher, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Iron Horse all make excellent beginner bikes for around or just under $500. The GF Tassajara is one of these bikes and I have only read good reports about it. That Giant you posted also is a decent starter bike. One problem with most of the $500+/- bikes is they're 8 speed and the frames are generally not too worthy of spending the money to upgrade parts, so when you decide to go to the next level you basically have to buy a complete new bike.

Just so you have some idea of how components ranks here's a few examples, best being listed first...........

Drivetrain/Shifters

SRAM XO / Shimano XTR
    SRAM X9 / Shimano XT
    SRAM X7 / Shimano LX
    SRAM X5 / Shimano Deore
    SRAM SX4 / Shimano Alevio
    SRAM 3 / Shimano Altus/Acera

Also go check out the beginner forum to find more threads with similar questions and the What bike to buy/bikes and equipment I think it is forum. Best advice though since you're now starting out, try to get some recommendations for a good bike shop in your area and then go in and try some bikes and get some recommendations on bikes from them.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

Rockhopper

Get a Specialized RockHopper Disc. You should be able to find a 2007 on sale around $500. That's a really nice starter bike. If you find the Comp Disc at a good price (Say $600) get that, better components and 9 speed. Unfortunately, if you want Full Suspension you're looking at double maybe even triple the price.
    Last edited by SinglePowderTrack; 11-19-2007 at 10:09 AM.
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

mtbr member

welcome to the club

Don't listen to these guys, as you progress in the sport your "minimum acceptable" level of performance goes up (would I buy a $400 bike, no, but Iíve been riding for 17 years). If your just starting and riding for the pure enjoyment of it you can find plenty of bikes in your price range. Go to your LBS (Local Bike Shop) let them know your needs and try to steer to last years model (at that price, generally no big difference per year but color) let them know your serious about getting into it and are planning future purchases and they shouldn't steer you wrong (if your happy with MTBing than you'll be back in a year with big $$$$ and they know it). If your in the Aurora area and want to try some different equipment before you purchase PM me and we'll set something up.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    You guys are ridiculous, you can ride the front range on lower/mid tech trails with a bike that costs less than $500 easy. Just check Craig's list for used hardtails with good components and a decent fork.

My Specialized needs a fork right now, so I'm going to ride my 7 year old Gary Fischer Tassahara for a while, it will work, just no fast descents (Like when I ride APEX on my DH bike!)

Seriously, a good hardtail isn't that expensive used.
    Tell it like it is , Matt.

I bought a nice (like 21# nice), geared hardtail (KHS - but branded as a "Jenson") with a Manitou fork of some sort and lots of cool little bits on CL for exactly $400 not too long ago. The bike really was (XC) race ready and was a blast to ride, I just couldn't seem to remember that it wasn't made to bash around on and had to sell it for something heavier.

To the OP - You can get a decent bike in your range, you just need to be patient, and you should probably start by deciding what type of riding you'll likely be doing - did you previously ride BMX, do you like to jump off stuff, are you a marathon runner looking to supplement your workout, etc...
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    THANKS GUYS
    yeh i ride alot of bmx and its getting boring and i ride motocross
    i have been looking around craigslist

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfr3ak
    THANKS GUYS
    yeh i ride alot of bmx and its getting boring and i ride motocross
    i have been looking around craigslist
    Look for a used Specialized P2 or P3, they're not exactly XC bikes, but can be ridden XC and will take loads of abuse for pretty cheap.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

mtbr member

Used dirt jump bike?

can't say I'd trust a used dirt jump bike, you KNOW it's been abused

Living the High Life
    It depends who owned it, if its a 250lb guy, not a great idea. If it was a 120 teenager, there can't be that much frame fatigue. Just ride it and listen for creaks, inspect for cracks. Flip it over and inspect the bottom, etc. Give it a good look and you'll be fine.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny
    you KNOW it's been abused
    Not necessarily, there are quite a few people who pick up bikes just to try something new, like the 29er sitting in my garage collecting dust. The good thing about any kind of DJ bike is that it is built to take severe abuse. If you (the OP) check things over (be sure to check critical areas like the head / downtube juncture with a flashlight, many cracks are not visible in lighting considered "good" by most standards), you should be fine.
    Now with more vitriol!

Rolling
    Snow is here so it doesn't matter.

But really....Buy a cheapo bike and do it....go down the path most of us has and get hooked on the line, then the gram then the kilo....

You can jump on the most expensive bike around and still hate it but not for reasons you picked the wrong bike.

Just get a cheap bike that fits and have fun. The dollars come into play when you want more performance.

mtbr member
    XC'ing a DJ isnt much fun.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by literocola
    XC'ing a DJ isnt much fun.
    Yeah, that was my one reservation about recommending a P bike, but given his history (BMX / MX)...

To the OP, you might look at Azonic Steelheads as well. I rode one for XC, park, etc... and liked it alot for the $ - they are longer in the front end so they will not feel as cramped (or flickable) as a P bike, but are much better on the trail and I've never heard of one breaking. They can be had dirt cheap as well.

Not trying to spam, but if you want a medium '07 GT Peace 9er SS with about 50 miles on it, I'll sell you mine for $400 (retail $550). I like the bike alright, but the fiance likes it better and I have other bikes I prefer for the type of riding I do, so I'd just be turning around and buying a small for her.

Looks exactly like this one:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now with more vitriol!

I heart the drops
    Heres a full suspension the guy might take a couple hundred for it

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/486411327.html

or go talk to dave over at redstone cyclery he can probably get you on a good used bike that wont fall apart
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"