Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    It's time for a road trip
    Dec 2011

New Golden Trails

Hey! Golden residents or anyone who rides Jeffco County trails near Golden:
    we (some of the Golden bike park group plus a professional trail planner) have been working with the Golden Parks and Rec Advisory Board, and are now looking for community support and input for trail connections between major Jeffco trailheads and around town.

Along with these trails, the plan is to add bike park features (flow type trails, pump tracks, dirt jumps) in City parks throughout Golden, so that dirt trails and features have the same accessibility as ballfields and playgrounds.

Show your support by liking our Facebook page. We're going to put together a core group of people to help organize, so let us know via here or that page if you're interested.

Thanks!

- Jerry
    Golden Bike Park Group
    Golden Parks and Recreation Advisory Board member
    Professional Land Surveyor
    Last edited by SecretAgent23skidoo; 01-25-2012 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great idea! I love how the goal is to add bike park type features throughout.

Any more details regarding which parks, what trail connections (how) etc?

mtbr member
    Would jeffco ever do a connector between apex/grubstake and chimney gulch trail that is midway up.

Dec 2011
    It's too early for much detail, but the first opportunity to get some bike park features put in might be along with the updates that are coming to Vanover Park.
    Other parks we have in mind include White Ash Mine, Beverly Heights, Ulysses, and Norman D.

The trail connections we have planned basically encircle the city, and include a Chimney to Apex trail, via Beverly Heights Park to the Lakota Hills/ Heritage Dells subdivision.
    Last edited by SecretAgent23skidoo; 01-27-2012 at 08:40 PM.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    Would jeffco ever do a connector between apex/grubstake and chimney gulch trail that is midway up.
    While I think that's a swell idea, and there may be an old track that did just that... That is, as you mentioned, mostly on JeffCo.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgent23skidoo View Post
    Show your support by liking our Facebook page. We're going to put together a core group of people to help organize, so let us know via here or that page if you're interested.

Thanks!
    I assume you will put up dates and plans via FB.
    Looking forward to new trails within the city soon.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    throwing in my two cents here, it would be sweet to have a connector trail from the bottom of apex to the chimney trailhead, instead of taking the bike path back when doing that loop. while i'm making wishes here, make it flowy, throw in some wood features, drops, and tabletops, and make it shuttleable.

mtbr member
    Put a gap jump over the bike path at Ulysses. That hill behind the McDonald's was a beast to charge down and the looseness made for some impressive over-the-bars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not likely. The whole north end of the park is designated as a sensitive area. It is habitat for threatened/endangered species.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Four connections I would like to see:

-NTM from the climbers access trailhead to the new trail in upper Coors Canyon.
    Realize this is private land and Jeffco.

-Dirt trail on west side of Hwy 6 from Kinney Run tunnel to Chimney Gulch trailhead.
    Believe some of that is owned by CSM.

-Something thru or just south of NREL, so you could get from Golden to Denver West without using S. Golden Road.

-I don't live there, but Golden Heights seems totally isolated from the rest of Golden. Is there any way there other than south on Rooney Rd and back north on C-470 trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Forgot a couple others:

-Complete the creek trail on the south side of the creek from Illinois west to Hwy 6.

-direct route from my house to GCB!

mtbr member
    2 of my favorite words when combined: "new trails".

Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    I assume you will put up dates and plans via FB.
    Looking forward to new trails within the city soon.
    Si! Check the FB page for a map showing some planned connector trails.

And also in the plans (but not showing on that map) are singletrack alternatives along City sidewalks, so maybe riding a trail from your house somewhere in Golden to GCB isn't so far fetched after all. My initial thought was to be able to ride singletrack to the grocery store and back, but I like your thinking.

As for the other ideas, Boulderwhitewater - good suggestions. The south side of Clear Creek sidewalk should be completed this spring, I believe. There had been a holdup with some ground contamination that CSM was working to clear up.

mtbr member
    Another trail that would take tons of work, but be amazing is a trail that somehow connect the intersection of 6 and 93 that would connect to Centennial Cone. Wow would that be a great ride.

Erik

Dec 2011
    Another trail that would take tons of work, but be amazing is a trail that somehow connect the intersection of 6 and 93 that would connect to Centennial Cone. Wow would that be a great ride.

Erik
    That one's on Jeffco's list. Hope they can make some real progress on it while I'm still young enough to ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That one's on Jeffco's list. Hope they can make some real progress on it while I'm still young enough to ride it.
    That trail will be done in sections, most likely starting with the east and west ends of the canyon. It will be a trail that travels through the bottom of the canyon, and the connection to the cone will be made at Mayhem Gulch. The project will be a multi-surface trail (some paved sections, some crusher...) and will be part of a major trail running from the divide (Loveland Pass area, through Golden along the Clear Creek Trail) and on east. If some grant proposals are successful construction could begin soon (6 months to a year).

Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thermos View Post
    That trail will be done in sections, most likely starting with the east and west ends of the canyon. It will be a trail that travels through the bottom of the canyon, and the connection to the cone will be made at Mayhem Gulch. The project will be a multi-surface trail (some paved sections, some crusher...) and will be part of a major trail running from the divide (Loveland Pass area, through Golden along the Clear Creek Trail) and on east. If some grant proposals are successful construction could begin soon (6 months to a year).
    Thanks for the info! You work for JCOS or something?

mtbr member
    Good news! It's always a joy to hear about proposed new trails, and the proposed / suggested routes above are great -- especially the trail from Loveland Pass into Golden! It is especially heartening to hear these are being proposed by Jeffco, which sometimes seems to have a love/hate relationship with mountain bikers. Kudos to those working to make these trails a reality! Now if we can just get someone in power to find an alternative to using water bars every twenty feet on some Jeffco trails . . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the info! You work for JCOS or something?
    I just listen, call the right people (those who actually know) and ask questions. Let's say I'm definitely not part of the Torches and pitchforks part of the bike community.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lginzkey View Post
    Good news! It's always a joy to hear about proposed new trails, and the proposed / suggested routes above are great -- especially the trail from Loveland Pass into Golden! It is especially heartening to hear these are being proposed by Jeffco, which sometimes seems to have a love/hate relationship with mountain bikers. Kudos to those working to make these trails a reality! Now if we can just get someone in power to find an alternative to using water bars every twenty feet on some Jeffco trails . . . .

I would definitely consider these all "possibilities" and not done deals, but a lot of effort is being put into this. A lot of great JCOS projects have been delayed by YEARS because of (how do I put this nicely?) "public input" from "concerned citizens." JCOS does not hate bikers, but it is obligated to try and keep the trails safe for EVERYONE, and we are the only park users traveling at 20mph (or more). Until we ALL start riding with consideration for others on the trail (other bikers included), someone else will have to regulate the activity. Makes it look like they hate us. Some really cool things are in the works though! Try calling Kim Frederick at JCOS regarding the water bars, he'll give you a straight answer.

mtbr member
    Thank you SA23 and Thermos for your advocacy.

mtbr member
    It's too early for much detail, but the first opportunity to get some bike park features put in might be along with the updates that are coming to Vanover Park.
    Other parks we have in mind include White Ash Mine, Beverly Heights, Ulysses, and Norman D.

The trail connections we have planned basically encircle the city, and include a Chimney to Apex trail, via Beverly Heights Park to the Lakota Hills/ Heritage Dells subdivision.
    SA23, PM me about Norman D. we are meeting with Golden Parks Advisory council regularly on that park, we have some things in motion there. it would be good to align with your proposals.

Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGolden View Post
    Thank you SA23 and Thermos for your advocacy.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Dec 2011
    New Golden Trails 01-31-2012 03:36 PM Keep up the ********, they are believing you. It's fun to watch all of you tools.

Wow, I got negative rep for a post on this thread? We do have the Golden Bike Park to show for our efforts, so it's not like we've been leading anyone along. But apparently not everyone is as excited about new trails as I am.

But if you are, either show up to a Council meeting, (Regular City Council Feb 9, 2012 - 7:00 PM) or email Golden City Council or the Parks and Rec Department to let them know.
    Community support is the only way we'll get anything built.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SecretAgent23skidoo; 02-05-2012 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=SecretAgent23skidoo;8975141]New Golden Trails 01-31-2012 03:36 PM Keep up the ********, they are believing you. It's fun to watch all of you tools.

That's pretty funny. The fact that this individual doesn't have the guts to state this publicly says a lot. You never know what can happen until you try. Nice work fellas!

mtbr member
    Ridiculous. I don't understand rep sometimes. My rep got blasted last summer becasue I asked why they "fixed/sanitized" Maverick over Longhorn. The thing is these people do it secretly and won't post it in the forum.

Keep up the good work and don't let it get you down.

Erik

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast