mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New Englander's review of 3 Colorado DH resorts

Spent the week of the 4th out in Colorado riding Winter Park, Copper and Keystone. Winter Park and Keystone are more DH bike resorts with tons of trails while Copper only has a couple of trails but if you like fast and flowy trails and no crowds then Redtail at Copper is a lot of fun. It's also only $15 to ride the full day at Copper, can't beat that price.

Winter Park is good but the condition of the trails didn't seem great. Tons of braking bumps entering the berms and the tabletops need some attention. We were there on the 4th so it was definitely the most crowded. Only found one terribly challenging trail, Trestle Downhill which is a double black but nothing crazy if you've ridden places like Sunday River or Bromont back east. Amazing fleet of rental equipment at WP, if I were to go again I wouldn't bother shipping my own bike.

Keystone was a blast. Not sure how to describe it but a mix of traditional back east stuff (not Highland) with some crazy bridges like Whistler has including the corkscrew. Sections of High Speed Dirt and Jam Rock remind me of the ridiculously steep sections of some of the older Sunday River trails and Bromont trails and even the old Mt Snow Yardsale (minus the volkswagon sized boulders). Best of all is that the elevation has got to be double what you get at places like Bromont and Sunday River. Runs are long and there's a lot of options too. The trails are not built up with berms and tabletops as much as places like Winter Park, Whistler and Highland but they're just fun. I highly recommend this stop.

Would have liked to make Sol Vista but didn't fit it in. Great trip

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    At Copper do you ride your bike up to the base of the lift? if so how much of a climb is that? We will be heading west through that area. Would a stop in Copper for 1/2 - 3/4 of a day be worthwhile?

C

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The base of the lift is right in the village.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I'm feeling the love for Keystone after a great day on Sunday. Huge laps, nasty trails. Milky Way->High Speed Dirt-->Jamrock-->Mos. Coast-->World Cup Turns connector(My own made up name)-->Helter-->Skelter may be the best DH run in murrica.