mtbr member
    Jan 2008

New to Denver...where to ride this weekend (3/7-3/8)

Texas (Dallas) transplant new to Denver. Just moved here about 3 weeks ago. I was able to get out last weekend on my cx bike and ride from Littleton to Invesco field...but seeing as there's no snow in the forecast (as of right now) I'd like to hit some dirt.

The only trail in Denver that I've ridden was Deer Creek (last October.) From what I understand though, it's still covered in snow. Which trails in Boulder would be best? I don't mind climbing (although there will be lots of stopping.) Just looking for a somewhat intermediate ride, nothing too hairy...but fun enough to keep me guessing.

Would Chimney Gulch be a good start? Or is there a better trail for me to hit?

I have until June to pretty much ride whatever I want, after that the family moves up and I'll be somewhat limited on my weekend rides.

mtbr member
    How far do you want to go? Where specifically do you live?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    How far do you want to go? Where specifically do you live?

I'm living in Littleton (near Wadsworth and 470.) I don't mind driving, but at the same rate I don't feel like driving to Fruita / Moab. I was told by the guys at Bicycle Village to ride Green Mountain or the trail across 470.

I'd actually like to drive up and check out Boulder, but I'm not sure which trails would be open / etc.

FWIW, I had a really good time riding Deer Creek (last October) and would like to find something similar if something similar is open and not muddy / covered in snow.

mtbr member
    Nice, you're really close to me. I'm at Kipling and Belleview. I wouldn't mind showing you around. I've been riding a few times in Lyons, just north of Boulder and it's really nice. There's good stuff really close to us too though. Matthew winters, Dakota Ridge, Red Rocks, Apex, Chimney, they're all pretty decent right now.

mtbr member
    Mt Falcon is similar to Deer Creek. Long techy climb + loop at top after the initial climb. It's all clear and it's only 15 minutes from 470 & Wads. Hall Ranch & Picture Rock are north of Boulder but that's a good hour+ drive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    Mt Falcon is similar to Deer Creek. Long techy climb + loop at top after the initial climb. It's all clear and it's only 15 minutes from 470 & Wads. Hall Ranch & Picture Rock are north of Boulder but that's a good hour+ drive.

Great info from everyone so far...thank you!

As of right now, I'm leaning towards Dakota Ridge and/or Green mountain for my Saturday ride. Mt. Falcon sounds really good too though. The way my buddy described Dakota Ridge makes it first on my list of trails.

And I don't know why I posted up looking for trails in Boulder, I was actually thinking of Golden.

mtbr member
    Red Rocks/Hogback, aka Dakota Ridge loop = YEAH GOOD.

Although I would definitely NOT describe the hogback portion as Intermediate, it's about as technical as you can get. (Thats per my definition of whats hard. Im an average rider, not GOOD, not BAD) All of the Dakota Ridge loop is dry as of now, I've ridden it both the past weekends. Be ready for a little hiker-slalom, (stole that term from another forum member, heh) it's very busy on the weekends, what with dog-walkers, and hikers and whatnot. It only gets bad on the Red Rocks side, tho, IMO.

I personally think Green Mountain is boring. Do Dakota Ridge. Also, if you've never seen Red Rocks Ampitheatre before, it's worth pedalling up to as a little distraction. Would only take you a minute, and it's very cool to see.

Since you brought it up, Chimney Gulch---> Apex is also a great front range loop. A little longer than Dakota ridge. You can't go wrong with either of those two.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Green Mountain is go to cruise around on, but not challenging at all. Dakota is the most technical ride that's near by. I still haven't ridden it all. There are a few parts I always end up walking, but it is a lot of fun. The downside though is the wind is really bad up there since it's so unprotected.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Perfect...so Saturday I'll do Dakota Ridge and Sunday Mt. Falcon.

But wouldn't you know that as soon as I begin planning all of this the extended weather forecast is now calling for some rain on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Make sure you start at the north end of Dakota and ride south.

Living the High Life
    Make sure you start at the north end of Dakota and ride south.
    Good point, I've never seen it done another way. And Dakota is technical, lots of the front range trails are. But ride it a few times and you'll be okay. I'm always really cautious my 1st time through any trail.

I rode Falcon yesterday, its pretty dry.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

tiny rider
    If you are going to take a weekend day to ride Mt. Falcon, I'd highly recommend connecting to Lair of the Bear for a bigger loop with a lot more swoopy, fun single track. It's definitely an improvement on just riding down Castle Trail.

I rode LotB this past weekend and there were a couple icy patches high, and a couple icy stretches in the valley by the river which you may need to walk; a couple dozen yards or so each. But everything else was good.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Yeah, Green Mountain is go to cruise around on, but not challenging at all.
    You my friend need to come to a t.i.t.s. ride when were done I'll ask you if that was challenging
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    You my friend need to come to a t.i.t.s. ride when were done I'll ask you if that was challenging
    2nd that. There is more to GM that meets the eye.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Lol, well relative to Deer Creek technical wise. I'm not a hammerhead, so at my pace it's not too challenging.