Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to Denver

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New to Denver

I recently moved to Denver am looking to hit the trails. Is there a website or book or something that gives good details and locations for trails. I am looking for singletrack/x-country stuff, nothing too extreme. I am more than willing to travel a little ways to get to stuff as long as it is worth it. Thanks for any help.

JR

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

Welcome

This one and Vol. 2 as well are pretty good for trail description, ratings and directions. Good luck
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkRuby
    I recently moved to Denver am looking to hit the trails. Is there a website or book or something that gives good details and locations for trails. I am looking for singletrack/x-country stuff, nothing too extreme. I am more than willing to travel a little ways to get to stuff as long as it is worth it. Thanks for any help.

JR
    New to Denver... Great! What do you want, a cookie?

J/K

I recently picked up a couple of the Barnhart's Single Tracks books. Gives elevations, dist, tech rating, etc. I used on of these books for the Steamboat area before moving down to the FR. There are two, a smaller green one and a slightly thicker purple (heather) one.

Edit: PBR beat me to it.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Yappy little dog!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Welcome. The mountain biking here sucks. I wish I was back in Chicago.

http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R108.htm

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...S_5844crx.aspx

http://www.bouldercounty.org/openspa...ting/index.htm

Please educate yourself regarding trail etiquette

http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html

Here's a little discussion regarding the trail etiquette issues in the Denver area.

Jeffco website post on Apex

Msurk

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Heathen
    The first rule of riding around Denver:
    You do not talk about shuttling Apex!

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Looks like the front range has 90% of the trails in the nation, awesome!

So glad to live here, I really need to visit this "JeffCO" more often
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    I have to ask a stupid question here because i am heavily considering a move to Denver. Is there good technical riding near Denver? Because all of the pictures of ride reports i see is all about long climbs with sweeping views. That is great and all, and would be nice for a change, but i'm much more into technical rock riding. Aggressive XC if you will. The mountains don't really matter as much to me, until Ski season of course. Is there a site that has pictures of technical riding? Thanks.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    Is there good technical riding near Denver?
    Nope.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Is there good technical riding near Denver?
    That's funny. We have technical climbs, lung burners too. Depending on how technical you want, you could just climb a trail predominantly ridden down hill. Just don't speak of doing that at Apex.

Msurk

mtbr member
    Awesome. You get what i'm saying though right? If you follow the passion thread all the CO shots seem to be all about the views. It does make for better photos but i want to see some tech.

I hope the Denver area has a decent construction market.

Thanks. If there are anymore techy pictures of Denver riding or links to them i'd love to see them. It really gives me motivation to get the heck away from where i live.

That looks like a hell of a climb right there.

mtbr member
    For both trail info for the OP and pictures of technical trail, take a look at SingleTracks.com.

mtbr member
    Wow, that singletracks site is perfect. Even covers the NJ trails i ride. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was talking to a guy on Heil. He'd just moved here from maybe the midwest (?). After a lull in the conversation he said "you know, there's a lot of climbing here". Uh huh.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Everyone will have a different opinion but i would say there is not much technical riding in the front range. A few trails do have some techy stuff but overall i would say not that much, maybe 20% at best?

I have to ask a stupid question here because i am heavily considering a move to Denver. Is there good technical riding near Denver? Because all of the pictures of ride reports i see is all about long climbs with sweeping views. That is great and all, and would be nice for a change, but i'm much more into technical rock riding. Aggressive XC if you will. The mountains don't really matter as much to me, until Ski season of course. Is there a site that has pictures of technical riding? Thanks.

skillz to pay billz
    what the OP's def. of techy, please give examples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Exactly! Some people on this site were arguing that buffalo creek is technical so obviously everyone sees this word as something different.

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    what the OP's def. of techy, please give examples.

mtbr member
    Sorry, i'm the one who brought up the Techy part. I am not the OP, but i believe his question was answered so i'm hijacking. . I just didn't want to start a new thread when i had similar questions.

Techy in my opinion is everything from imbedded rock gardens, root gardens, to large rocky slickrock features.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by msurk
    That's funny. We have technical climbs, lung burners too.
    No we don't. The riding sucks out here. Utah's better.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Awesome. You get what i'm saying though right? If you follow the passion thread all the CO shots seem to be all about the views. It does make for better photos but i want to see some tech.
    There isn't any. Riding here IS all about the views. The views rock.

I hope the Denver area has a decent construction market.
    Please say you're joking.

skillz to pay billz
    almost any intermediate + ride ride will have embeded rock gardens sprinkled around. not too many roots.

check out hall ranch, walker ranch, Sourdough/South St Vrain/little raven, pueblo.

much of the 'XC' is more like 'AM' trails

mtbr member
    I can't stand the "don't come here" people that are on these boards. There is one or two for each area. Sad people. I assume they are immature and obviously anti-social; seeing as they don't like meeting different people from different areas. Don't worry SkaredShtles, i don't think i'd be hanging around you anyways.

how heavy are you ??

actually....

The sourcasm on the boards is cool with me. If you actually believe that there isn't riding in CO you don't need to be here anyways! And if this ruse actually keeps ya away, then so be it
    I can't stand the "don't come here" people that are on these boards. There is one or two for each area. Sad people. I assume they are immature and obviously anti-social; seeing as they don't like meeting different people from different areas. Don't worry SkaredShtles, i don't think i'd be hanging around you anyways.
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

mtbr member
    I'm glad you are cool with useless posts.

Funny because Jersey people are stereotyped as jerks yet we/they are very helpful to people that are unfamiliar with the area in our forums.

I don't want to turn this into a flame war. I'm just looking for some useful information from kind folks nice enough to give it out.

I'm thankful to the majority of the people in this thread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast