Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Professional Infidel

New to COS and looking for some advice

Greetings,

I've recently moved to COS and have been checking out some of the local areas here. I currently ride a 2005 FSR XC Pro which was more than adequate for the flatland and sand I encountered in North Carolina. I've hit Red Rock, Section 16 and then Palmer Park yesterday and am quickly realizing that the FSR XC isn't going to cut it in much of the terrain that I'm finding out here. I'm pretty much sold on the need to upgrade to a 5 or 6 inch suspension and have been hitting a few of the local shops to see what is out there in the sub $2000.00 range. I'm kinda tired of the Specialized so while not completely ruling them out, I'd prefer to go with something new.
    Quite honestly I'm not up to speed on the differences between the the Shimano and SRAM setups, but I will say that the SRAM's shifting was crisp as hell.

So far I've checked out two bikes and would like to add to the list before I decide what to get. Any input you provide concerning the two choices, as well as others to consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2010 Trek Fuel EX 6 ($1800)
    Sizes
    15.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 21.5"
    Frame
    Alpha Red Aluminum w/ABP, Full Floater, alloy EVO Link, oversized pivot bearings, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
    Front Suspension
    RockShox Recon SL Solo Air w/air spring, rebound, TurnKey lockout, alloy steerer, 120mm
    Rear Suspension
    Fox Float RP-2 w/Pro Pedal, rebound; 7.0x2.0"
    Wheels
    Bontrager Select front hub, M525-L rear hub; Bontrager Ranger rims
    Tires
    Bontrager XDX, 26x2.2"
    Drivetrain
    Shifters
    Shimano Deore
    Front Derailleur
    Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur
    Shimano Deore XT Shadow
    Crank
    Shimano M521 44/32/22
    Cassette
    SRAM PG950 11-34, 9 speed
    Pedals
    Shimano M505, clipless
    Components
    Saddle
    Bontrager Race
    Seat Post
    Bontrager Race, 31.6mm, 5mm offset
    Handlebars
    Bontrager Race Riser, 40mm rise
    Stem
    Bontrager SSR, 10 degree
    Headset
    VP-A76, 1-1/8" semi-integrated, sealed
    Brakeset
    Shimano 575, hydraulic disc

2010 GT Force 2.0 ($2000).

REAR SHOCK: 
Fox Float RP2 Shock with rebound adjust and lock out
    FRAME: 
GT designed 6061 Monocoque frame with Independent Drivetrain suspension. 6.0 inches of rear wheel travel. With new forged I-link. Standardized bearings and modular dropout system.
    FORK: 
Rock Shox Revelation SL 140mm travel with 20mm through axle, Dual Air sprung with rebound damping adjust with 7050 aluminum steerer
    CRANKSET / CHAINWHEEL: 
Truvativ Stylo, with Alloy rings and 2 piece outboard BB
    BOTTOM BRACKET: 
Truvativ Outboard
    PEDALS: 
Shimano PDM -520
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: 
SRAM X-9
    REAR DERAILLEUR: 
SRAM X-9
    SHIFTERS: 
SRAM X-9
    CHAIN: 
Shimano Nine Speed
    RIMS: 
WTB Speed Disc, 32 hole, black anodized, for presta valve.
    FRONT HUB: 
GT 20 mm through axle with 4 japanese sealed bearing
    REAR HUB: 
Shimano Deore 6 bolt disc
    COG SET: 
SRAM PG-950 11-34T
    SPOKES: 
DT Swiss Champion 1.8 stainless steel
    NIPPLES: 
DT Swiss Alloy
    TIRES: 
Front: 26"x 2.3 Kenda Nevgal, 120 tpi with Kevlar bead, Rear: same only 2.1
    FRONT BRAKE: 
Avid Juicy 3 180mm rotor
    REAR BRAKE: 
Avid Juicy 3 160mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS: 
Avid Juicy
    HANDLEBAR: 
Ritchey Pro Rizer Alloy 31.8 clamp, low rise
    STEM: 
Ritchey 31.8 clamp, 3-D forged
    HEADSET: 
FSA Orbit X 1 1/8" forged cups, sealed bearings
    GRIPS: 
GT Lock Down, co molded locking grip system with alloy collars
    SADDLE: 
WTB Rocket V Comp wth Cr-mo rails
    SEAT POST: 
Ritchey Comp Post
    SEAT CLAMP: 
GT Alum QR
    Take Care

mtbr member
    Both your upgrade options look cool, but...............
    (Just because I am an anti-trend old fart, I'm going to throw this next part in)

Your 2005 FSR with 4" travel front and rear (?), CAN handle the trails you mentioned (and most anything else in the area). Another option you might want to consider is saving your money and training yourself to be a better rider on the tech stuff you are not used to.........

Professional Infidel
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Both your upgrade options look cool, but...............
    (Just because I am an anti-trend old fart, I'm going to throw this next part in)

Your 2005 FSR with 4" travel front and rear (?), CAN handle the trails you mentioned (and most anything else in the area). Another option you might want to consider is saving your money and training yourself to be a better rider on the tech stuff you are not used to.........
    LMAO... Yeah I do see your point on improving my skill set, I'll be the first to admit that I am definitely lacking when it comes to the more technical terrain out here in Colorado. Down right intimidating in some areas. Never the less I am looking to upgrade to a more capable machine... I do appreciate your candid input, it only helps in making a more informed decision.
    Take Care

rr
    I don't do PC
    If your gonna ride the canyon a bunch the Trek looks nice, if you want more travel and slacker angles for Palmer then the GT looks good. Those are kinda diff style bikes but still sound good for trail riding around here.

If it was me I would go with the GT since you have a XC bike and you could use it for the shuttling here during the season and going to the resorts.

mtbr member
    Well, I didn't really mean it as a knock on you, more of a knock on the whole marketing scheme of the bike companies, to make you think that what you bought 10 years ago as a downhill bike isn't even capable enough for a trail bike, and your all mountain bike from a couple of years ago barely will get you by as an XC bike these days, etc.
    When I moved to Tucson in the mid nineties (a very technical riding area), I did all the trails with my old rigid hardtail (and I mean front and back rigid!).
    Sure you have to go slower and be more skillfull on that kind of bike, but it is still possible. It made me a better rider.
    4" travel bikes like yours are incredibly capable, and still great climbers and nimble handlers.
    With that said, I can completely understand the temptation to ride what is currently considered the standard for all mountain these days (even if that standard will change again next year).

Professional Infidel
    Steve,

No worries, I didn't take it as such. Like I said, I definitely know where I am lacking in the skill area and where I need to improve. I also agree about the whole industry driven obsolescence scheme... I fall for it every time... Well almost, it has been 5 years.

rroeder,

I live about 10 minutes from Palmer so I plan on hitting that place quite often. I also plan on keeping the FSR because I still do like the bike. Thanks for the input.
    Take Care

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I live 5 minutes away from palmer and ride there often. if you want to head out PM me and we can get some riding in. you can never have enough people to ride with. Your FSR will take you a lot further than you think around here. I have been riding a Turner Flux for a while and it can tackle any thing I am brave enought to attempt.

Stiff yet compliant
    Whenever someone uses the abbreviation "COS" I think, Church of Scientology.
    That is all I have to add.

Shoulda went faster

my $.02

Can a person ride a rigid bike everywhere in Colorado Springs? Sure. But I think there is such a thing as fun factor. I have a hardtail single speed , it is fun, but a different kind of fun than my nomad or dh bike. Variety is key in my book. I like having different bikes for different purposes. I believe the force would be a good choice, from my experience more travel has always been worth it. I started this whole mountain bike adventure on a hardtail, then a 3" bike, then a 4" bike, then a 6", then a 8" bike. You get the picture! I like the tech and downhill side of things the best but still get my spin on. Just beware the more travel you get the more you want... it is a slippery slope

As for as bike shops... I like Ted's Bicycles. No, it is not the biggest but the people there are some of the nicest in town, especially Tony the owner. Their price may not always be the best but they make up for it in customer service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailborne
    Steve,

No worries, I didn't take it as such. Like I said, I definitely know where I am lacking in the skill area and where I need to improve. I also agree about the whole industry driven obsolescence scheme... I fall for it every time... Well almost, it has been 5 years.

rroeder,

I live about 10 minutes from Palmer so I plan on hitting that place quite often. I also plan on keeping the FSR because I still do like the bike. Thanks for the input.
    Palmer Park is one of my favorite places to ride, lots of stuff you can find right in the middle of Colo Springs. Welcome to our fair city. I have never owned a rear susp bike for what it's worth, and currently have a rigid single-speed... but can certainly relate to wanting to get something newer and cooler--hey it keeps the economy humming along too, so there's that! I can't really give you any advice on what to purchase as my style of riding/technology desires have changed much over the years, to the point to where I've simplified to what i have now. All that said, good luck with the search and have fun! By the way, have you been to Pro Cycling on the west side (Hiway 24 and 21st street i think) Lot of good >$1500 stuff there (from what i could tell)

Professional Infidel
    Thanks all for the responses! I am far from done looking and am going down the list of shops that someone posted elsewhere in this forum. FWIW I am a big supporter of local shops and am really impressed with the friendly attitudes I have found in the shops out here... A big change from back east.
    Take Care

MTBR Contributing Editor
    FWIW, it's a lot more enjoyable riding a bike with some decent suspension, especially when it comes to some of the local rock gardens. Yes, you can ride a hardtail on the sick stuff at Palmer, heck you can revert to no suspension, since that was what it was like when I started in the 80's.

I think the good cusp is to stick to at least to 140mm of travel.

The technology of the parts has evolved greatly in the last 5 years, and the suspension has become a highly evolved science (with a bit of black magic of course). The trickle down effect from the higher parts and bikes has played into the mid to lower ends bikes, and it has aided out the consumer.

Peace.

I think I can.

A little history about me

I ride everything I can find, I am not nice to my bikes. To be honest I have broken 4 frames in 6 years, the last frame I broke was an 07 Santa Cruz Blur LT. That bike has plenty of travel for almost every trail out here, I just rode it harder than what it was designed for. I warrantied the frame for a new one and rode it for another 2 months then hung it up in the garage. I found the bike I was looking for, a Used 08 Trek Remedy with a converted Lyrik Air to Coil U-Turn, Mavic Cross max rims and plenty of great parts. I have been on this 30lb bike for close to 3 months and must say this bike is made for the front range. Great climbing bike, I like to stand and climb an find it easy to do that with this bike, minimal bounce or loss of traction with the extra travel. What I find different is the comfort going down hill, things I used to go around or roll I now just let the brakes go and sail over.
    Not saying it will be the same for anyone else but going to a 6" travel bike has opened my eyes a little wider and eased the trail options. I still want a hardtail 29er for the full XC rides like Cheyenne Canyon, AFA and Buffalo Creek but for PP, Ute and my local area the Remedy is a perfect bike.
    One option for you is Colorado Cyclist, they have a good size demo fleet with a crew I find as helpful, and professional. They have quite a few different bikes you can try so you understand a little more about how you fit on the bike and what will work best for your style. "Not a paid spokesman"

Good luck on your search

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    [FONT=Verdana]I found the bike I was looking for, a Used 08 Trek Remedy with a converted Lyrik Air to Coil U-Turn, Mavic Cross max rims and plenty of great parts.
    I want Joe's bike!

We swapped bikes for all of 400 meters during a ride and, man, would I like to get a long travel bike like that... Unfortunately, it's not in the current budget.
    baker

I think I can.

Thanks Baker

Gonna do Mule today no matter what , wish me luck

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    Gonna do Mule today no matter what , wish me luck
    I think you'll need to be stubborn like a mule for that trail today...Good luck!!

The Preserve was fine, yesterday, btw. See my new Hero HD chest cam footage here:

Flying Dog with Marley and Tess from Brad Baker on Vimeo.

Oh for original poster, this is on a hard-tail, would probably be more fun on a 6" bike...
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    I think you'll need to be stubborn like a mule for that trail today...Good luck!!

The Preserve was fine, yesterday, btw. See my new Hero HD chest cam footage here:

Oh for original poster, this is on a hard-tail, would probably be more fun on a 6" bike...

There are dogs everywhere on that trail
    Was I seeing things or are you running some funky kind of handlebar? What are they?

How high did you go up? Is 715 clear?

Candlestick Maker
    There are dogs everywhere on that trail
    Was I seeing things or are you running some funky kind of handlebar? What are they?

How high did you go up? Is 715 clear?
    Jones H Bar. All my bars are strange due to elbow issues. I can't afford a Jones at today's prices, though. It's worth more than my frame! On my other bikes, I have the Titec H bar and On One Mary's.

I did not go high up on 715. I would expect ice/snow any higher.
    baker

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I know you're fast Brad, but that looks really fast--is that playing at like a 1.1X speed or is it just the fish eye that makes it look so fast?

Candlestick Maker
    Must be the fisheye, because the dogs were actually holding me back quite a bit.

Although, sometimes you gotta slow down to go fast, if ya know what I mean (smoothness pays off).
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Jones H Bar.
    How do you fit shifters on that?
    (Sorry for the slight thread detour).

Candlestick Maker
    How do you fit shifters on that?
    (Sorry for the slight thread detour).
    Not very easily. Combo brifters work best. I have an alfine trigger shifter on there.

Sorry for the thread hijack!
    baker

I think I can.

Love that video

I see your dogs take the same shortcuts as mine, kinda funny when you came around the corner and they were back in front of you I was laughing as I watched. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, you need to go up there and walk mule with your snow shoes as the drifts are bigger than I have ever seen, we tried and we failed.

Maybe in another month but not yet, HZ is ready, have you tried Limb. yet.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    May 2005
    [QUOTE=Trailborne]Greetings,

I've recently moved to COS and have been checking out some of the local areas here. I currently ride a 2005 FSR XC Pro which was more than adequate for the flatland and sand I encountered in North Carolina. I've hit Red Rock, Section 16 and then Palmer Park yesterday and am quickly realizing that the FSR XC isn't going to cut it in much of the terrain that I'm finding out here. I'm pretty much sold on the need to upgrade to a 5 or 6 inch suspension and have been hitting a few of the local shops to see what is out there in the sub $2000.00 range. I'm kinda tired of the Specialized so while not completely ruling them out, I'd prefer to go with something new.
    Quite honestly I'm not up to speed on the differences between the the Shimano and SRAM setups, but I will say that the SRAM's shifting was crisp as hell.

So far I've checked out two bikes and would like to add to the list before I decide what to get. Any input you provide concerning the two choices, as well as others to consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks"

- Dude.. go for the Fuel of a new Speesh Flick or SL. It's not the 4" that's holding you back but the old FSR's have a pretty steep head angle. I used have one and when I upgraded to a Blur with 4" it was a lot better on trail b/c of the H/A. Now I ride a 6" Speesh SL and it's slack and pretty light. yes.. go 6".. you won't regret it.

- I have friends with the new Fuel and it's solid bike. I'd stay away from GT b/c they're crap.. my 2 yen...

P"

Professional Infidel
    Once again thanks for all the input... I don't mind the hijack, nice vid. Once I see how much Uncle Sam is gonna give me back I'll do some more serious shopping. For some reason I keep going back to look at the Yeti 575...
    Take Care

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast