Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    default title

New question here. New to CO - Best Trails for Single Speed?

Hey folks!

I just moved to Denver from Nashville last month. There are so many trails out here I'm a bit overwhelmed by decisions.

I've ridden rigid SS exclusively for 7-8 years now, so I was hoping some of you Front Range veterans could point me in the right directions for some trails that lend themselves to rigid SS riding (i.e., no big hit/hucking stuff).

So far I've only ridden a section of the Colorado Trail out at Buffalo Creek, which was nice and rolling, if not a bit boring. I'm used to the tight and twistys littered with rocks and roots, and endless short, steep undulations. I know the geography is totally different here but so you know what I'm used to.

Where do you SS'ers like to ride around these parts??

Cheers!
    ___
    _

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Belcher Hill at White Ranch.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by j e SS e View Post
    Hey folks!

short, steep undulations.
    Cheers!
    And that's what she said.....

I'd explore more of BC area. Then long horn short horn at White Ranch after Belcher. Chimpex is good SS material, I did that on my 26" geared 34/20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Re: New to CO - Best Trails for Single Speed?

+1 to buffalo creek. Not much else like Tennessee out here. Lots more sustained climbing. Just gotta get your legs & lungs used to it... And its just as fun.

West mag was just what you're asking for...rooty, little rocky, lots of quick turns and quick ups/downs. But it got clearcut, and I'm not sure the conditions of the trails or rebuilding schedule.

ride
    There's nowhere I wouldn't ride my SS. Just find the right gear and get used to hiking on occasion
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think Betasso in Boulder would be ideal for SS'ing, as well as the Antelope side of Hall Ranch.

Light freak
    Centennial Cone

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    In short, anywhere.

BUT, I have fun riding my singlespeed at Heil Valley, Lair o the Bear, Buffalo Creek, and Flatiron Vista/Dowdy Draw. Pueblo is relatively fun too (pick a big gear!). I'm not a dedicated SS rider so there are places that I wouldn't necessarily ride mine but that doesn't mean people don't...

I haven't found too much that reminds of twisty tracks out east/southeast but there are plenty of places for rocks, roots, etc.

default title
    Great info, guys. Thanks!

Legs and lungs aren't an issue, and sustained climbs aren't a problem (Road miles, beeotches! ).

Just curious what the fave's are with the local single speeders. And so's ya know what kind of riding I'm used to.

I AM still acclimating to the altitude, however. I've got a little catch up do there but I was still waiting at the hill tops for my gear'd friend that's lived here for 7 years.

White Ranch is damn near where I live so I'll probably hit that next.

And I've not been up to Boulder yet, so any sweet trails up there would be the perfect excuse to head that way.

Cheers! (And Beers!)
    ___
    _

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Centennial Cone
    +++

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I think Betasso in Boulder would be ideal for SS'ing, as well as the Antelope side of Hall Ranch.
    except that's like 5 combined miles of trails. betasso's one mellow downhill with one mellow uphill and a flat spot thrown in anyways. (not including connector trails)

Legs and lungs aren't an issue, and sustained climbs aren't a problem (Road miles, beeotches! ).

Just curious what the fave's are with the local single speeders. And so's ya know what kind of riding I'm used to.
    just ride everywhere then. not sure there's anything perfectly SS specific enough to stand out from the rest....but it's all fun on a SS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New to CO - Best Trails for Single Speed?

I disagree... For Betasso, start at Fourmile and ride up the road for 2.5 miles before taking a left into the connector. Do a couple laps on each loop before heading down the Canyob Link trail and you've got a 15+ mile ride.

For Hall, I just meant *start* on the Antelope side. Do a couple loops on Nelson and it's an 11 mile ride. There you go.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Once things melt out in the high country the peaks trail between Breckenridge and Frisco has rocks, roots, undulations. Right now you can ride the Frisco Peninsula and the lake shore trail is tight and rocky in places.

Oh yeah, if you are "bored" because a trail isn't "techy" enough, go faster...

mtbr member

New to CO - Best Trails for Single Speed?

I have 5 go to trails for my single speed.

Lair of the Bear
    Green Mountain
    Centennial Cone
    Betasso
    North Table

I have ridden everything else but those 5 are a good start.

Erik

Erik

Chronic 1st-timer

Best Trails for Single Speed?

Everything except Mt Falcon & Bergen Peak.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

default title
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Once things melt out in the high country the peaks trail between Breckenridge and Frisco has rocks, roots, undulations. Right now you can ride the Frisco Peninsula and the lake shore trail is tight and rocky in places.

Oh yeah, if you are "bored" because a trail isn't "techy" enough, go faster...
    Didn't say I was bored, just that the one trail I'd ridden so far was a little boring based on what I'm used to.

When do those trails generally open up?
    ___
    _

default title
    So I rode White Ranch today and didn't particularly enjoy it. That first climb up was definitely a gnarly grinder. Coming down Longhorn was pretty unfun as there is no flow to the trail, at all. I could see it maybe on a fully (which literally everyone else there had...) but even then, all those silly tight switchbacks coupled with the rutted out erosion logs just kill it. Great trails for horses or hiking, however

And literally, the most horse sh!t I've ever seen.

The short Whippletree section was nice though; fast, great flow.

Views were beautiful, however.

I guess I missed the Mustang section so I can't speak to that.

Centennial Cone is next!

Then probably Green Mountain, what's the consensus there?
    Last edited by j e SS e; 05-30-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    ___
    _

Light freak
    Originally posted by j e SS e
    Centennial Cone is next!

Just a heads up, the Elk Range Trail is closed till mid June for Elk calving so a full loop is not possible right now.
    My suggestion would be starting at the Mayhem Gulch lot (just past tunnel 3 on Hwy). When you get to the top of the climb, head right at the intersection and then right again at the next intersection. This will put you on the Travois trail. You can ride this out and back as far as you feel. There is on section of steep, tight switchback that descends down to a bridge. Just remember that you will have to come back up this. Here is a link to the route I described up until the descent to the bridge

Mountain biking Workout | Endomondo

You can continue all the way up the Camino Perdido parking lot, then you will have to turn around

Addicted to Dirt
    Green mountain is good for an after work fix if you live close, I wouldn't make it a point of driving to it. I thoroughly enjoyed Chimney/Apex last night on the ss...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Didn't say I was bored, just that the one trail I'd ridden so far was a little boring based on what I'm used to.

When do those trails generally open up?
    The Frisco Peninsula is dry right now. The Peaks has a lot of north aspect, shady sections and generally isn't ready till mid/late June. We've had a lot of late season snow and unless it gets really dry and warm this year (it's snowing right now) so it's going to be an on the late side of average melt out this year is my guess.

I'm never bored when I'm on my bike no matter what the trail. There's always something to see, feel, experience. Television, now that's boring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hell, based on your "enjoyment" level of the rides you've done I'd just move back.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

The 5th knuckle
    Longhorn was pretty unfun as there is no flow
    If that's your thing, wait 28 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    So I rode White Ranch today and didn't particularly enjoy it. That first climb up was definitely a gnarly grinder. Coming down Longhorn was pretty unfun as there is no flow to the trail, at all. I could see it maybe on a fully (which literally everyone else there had...) but even then, all those silly tight switchbacks coupled with the rutted out erosion logs just kill it. Great trails for horses or hiking, however
    You, sir, appear to be doing it wrong. I don't know how... but that's the only conclusion upon which I can arrive.

And literally, the most horse sh!t I've ever seen.
    Well, duh - there's a public stable *right* at the bottom of WR.

The short Whippletree section was nice though; fast, great flow.
    WTF? Whippletree is just a return trail. It may be the single most boring trail at WR. NTTAWWT.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Hell, based on your "enjoyment" level of the rides you've done I'd just move back.
    This, actually, is probably very quality advice.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast