mtbr member

New Blue Sky parking area will be pay to park.

Well I guess we should have seen this coming. I'm starting to think FC will do any thing for money.

http://www.reporterherald.com/news_story.asp?ID=28529

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    yeah, well how are they going to pay for the parking lot they just built??
    recreation is a 'revenue generator'.

I think the city got sick of losing all that CASH from the 8-10 cars that park in the lot across from the fire station.

I was riding Towers rd last year, and ran into a couple of guys from Littleton...............day trippers.
    I guess Wyoming is the next frontier.

the bright side is that DBB will be less crowded.
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

mtbr member
    I wouldn't mind paying so much if they actually spent money on the trails. Its all going to pay for crap for the boaters. And I would think this is going to make DB parking area more busy. Why park in FC to ride blue sky when you can park for free in Loveland.

mtbr member
    So think a county parks pass will cover this or not?

Just bought a State parks pass which is good for Lory and Boyd lake and was thinking of getting county one for Horsetooth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSFA
    So think a county parks pass will cover this or not?

Just bought a State parks pass which is good for Lory and Boyd lake and was thinking of getting county one for Horsetooth.

No Idea but its a good question. I went to city bicycle planing meting and complained that the county pass for mountain bikers is way too high. I told them that in no way would I do trail work when I'm paying $65 a year to ride there. I suggested that a $25 a year pass for the Horse Tooth trail head parking areas would be better. The city sounded like they were interested in the Idea. But all they can do is push the county to do something.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Hate to say it ...but....

That's an awful fancy parking lot ! Toilets, water, etc.

If they'd just built a place to park without the amenities, then I'd be up in arms about paying too, but as it is, I think they're justified.

Ride in from Coyote Ridge if you have to park a car or just ride up to Blue Sky from town.

Soapstone's still free, although there's no water.

mtbr member
    Wow, $6?!?!

If it was a couple of bucks, no big deal (if it goes towards the trails), but $6!!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

ride
    Pay parking is also a way to regulate trailhead and trail usage. Just a thought. I haven't seen it so I have no clue what they're trying to accomplish.

edit... Wait - I have to pay $6 if I go to Horsetooth or Hermit Park, too. Or any other Larimer County Park. The way the article was written makes me inclined to think that a Larimer Park Pass should do the trick.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Rolling
    Some mornings I will pay anything for a good poop can before a ride. Too bad that doesn't include WiFi so I can surf the web.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Some mornings I will pay anything for a good poop can before a ride. Too bad that doesn't include WiFi so I can surf the web.
    well said!
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    This is soo stooopid! There is the Soderberg HTMP parking lot virtually around the corner. Why have two?
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    I inquired with the county and they indicated that a Larimer County Annual Permit will work in the new lot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    agreed, shitting at the trailhead is pretty deluxe.
    no WIFI needed when you get to look at the 'deuces' that the ten people before you dropped prior to your bowel movement.

seems like the county should provide restroom facilities for free.

I don't have to pay for a public trash can, or the dogshit bags; same arguement.
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    I wouldn't mind paying so much if they actually spent money on the trails. Its all going to pay for crap for the boaters. And I would think this is going to make DB parking area more busy. Why park in FC to ride blue sky when you can park for free in Loveland.
    a lot of people are LAZY(yes this defies logic in light of the fact that they are going riding), and many won't ride DBB without a double crown 5x or 6x rig.
    EricN

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's a great mystery of the universe that DBB is still free. The best part is realizing that they pay someone to hang out at the picnic tables at HTMP just to check passes. I don't have a problem paying to use the county parks, but this parking lot seems a little over the top -- Soderberg and HTMP are within spitting distance of this thing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsalty
    a lot of people are LAZY(yes this defies logic in light of the fact that they are going riding), and many won't ride DBB without a double crown 5x or 6x rig.
    What exactly does riding a 5" or 6" travel bike have to do with any of this? I could ride DBB on a tricycle if I had to, just prefer a well set up, long travel trail bike, makes trail riding more fun, for me anyways

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by btx
    It's a great mystery of the universe that DBB is still free. The best part is realizing that they pay someone to hang out at the picnic tables at HTMP just to check passes. I don't have a problem paying to use the county parks, but this parking lot seems a little over the top -- Soderberg and HTMP are within spitting distance of this thing...

Well, the free parking (fishing area parking across from the fire station) is now plowed with huge rocks in the parking space. So if you want free it's either Coyote or DBB if you must drive.

I've hiked HTMP a few times with the family and the upper HTMP lot has been full full full. Maybe some of the riders will park here now and pedal up the hill.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Like I said

Just ride from Ft.Collins if you only want to ride Blue Sky south; or throw your bikes on your car and drive to Coyote Ridge or DBB if you can't stand to ride your bike over 2-3 miles of pavement to access a flat, non tech trail .

You can't ride N into HTMP/Lory w/o a pass anyways so you'd still have to pay.

Lot's of beatching about nothing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    What exactly does riding a 5" or 6" travel bike have to do with any of this? I could ride DBB on a tricycle if I had to, just prefer a well set up, long travel trail bike, makes trail riding more fun, for me anyways
    No. You must partake in the sacrament as the fundamentalists with else you are a heretic.

WTB 5x double crown.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest3070
    No. You must partake in the sacrament as the fundamentalists with else you are a heretic.
    I still bust out my old '86 Diamondback full rigid tricked out with a "Mountain Tamer" front gearset to ride all of "The Front Range" trails like I did "back in the day".

Nothing like having a 17 tooth front ring. I can spin up Towers without breaking a sweat. Of course a snail would beat me, but are we talking about comfort here or beatching about trying to ride a 6" bike on Blue Sky.

You can ride Blue Sky on a road bike.

mtbr member
    Coming from a guy who used to live in the south (dirty...AR), paying for parking up here in Colorado is worth it...we have great trails and nice facilities. If you don't want to pay just go to the average area close to civilization where you don't have to...it won't be so nice. I don't mind paying for quality.