mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New Bike Question

So currently I have a hard tail and I am looking to venture into full suspension and I found a good deal on an '08 Santa Cruz Superlight. Thing is, I weigh around 205-210 lbs and I was nervous that this frame may not be best suited for my weight. So, I contacted Santa Cruz and asked about any rider weight limits and this is the response I got:

There is not a set specified weight limit for our 07/09 model Superlight, but
    it does have an ultralight tubeset (About a 1/4lb lighter than the previous
    1999-06 models) and is not the best choice for bigger riders, or for
    "aggressive" trail use, as this is what our Heckler model is designed for.
    For riders 225lbs+ we would steer you towards the Heckler or Blur-LT models
    for all around XC use. At 200-205lbs, for general 'all-around XC use' you
    should be fine.

So my question is, how would you define front range trails? I frequent Dakota Ridge/Mathews Winters, Apex, Deer Creek, etc. Do these qualify as "all-around XC" or do these fall into "aggressive" trails? Anyone my weight have experience with Superlights? Thanks a lot for the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by losfeevez
    So currently I have a hard tail and I am looking to venture into full suspension and I found a good deal on an '08 Santa Cruz Superlight. Thing is, I weigh around 205-210 lbs and I was nervous that this frame may not be best suited for my weight. So, I contacted Santa Cruz and asked about any rider weight limits and this is the response I got:

There is not a set specified weight limit for our 07/09 model Superlight, but
    it does have an ultralight tubeset (About a 1/4lb lighter than the previous
    1999-06 models) and is not the best choice for bigger riders, or for
    "aggressive" trail use, as this is what our Heckler model is designed for.
    For riders 225lbs+ we would steer you towards the Heckler or Blur-LT models
    for all around XC use. At 200-205lbs, for general 'all-around XC use' you
    should be fine.

So my question is, how would you define front range trails? I frequent Dakota Ridge/Mathews Winters, Apex, Deer Creek, etc. Do these qualify as "all-around XC" or do these fall into "aggressive" trails? Anyone my weight have experience with Superlights? Thanks a lot for the help.
    You would probably be OK with the superlight, but at your weight you would likely have more fun with the Heckler with the peace of mind, and you likely have the strength that a heckler's weight is not a hinderance. Leave the superlight to the 120 lb. shavers. Just my 2 cents, you may want to post up on the SC forum for other opinions.

Heathen
    Light frame and heavy rider = lots of flex. If you spin on climbs and walk most of DK, you'd prob be ok but I doubt that is the case. I'm a measley 174lb spinner and I really notice frame flex.

Living the High Life
    If you ride those trails you mentioned aggressively then I'd say skip the Superlight. I'm about 205 and also ride those trails. And I've ridden most of those you mentioned on a hard tail as well. I wouldn't ride a Superlight. I also race DH, so my XC bike is a Commencal Meta 6 with a Float 36 on front I'm just saying, the last thing I want to worry about is my bike failing me.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Thread Terrorist
    I agree with swamp monster Ithnu... You should look at something a little more beefy. It will last longer and you'll enjoy it a bit more. the Heckler might be right up your alley, and its not going to break the bank.

ie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah, I figured as much. I'm just not able to spend that much money and when I came across the deal on the Superlight, I thought I would give it a go. Thanks a lot for the help, I will definitely look into the Heckler.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The heckler is such an awesome bike for the front range. I think a 5 inch travel bike is better for the rocky trails out here.