mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New to area - got a ?

I recently moved from MA to CO (Broomfield for now). I'm in the process of shopping for a new bike as my Gemini is not really set up for climbing the hills around here.

I have spent all my time here snowboarding and have not had much time to check out riding spots. So far, I have noticed that all riding areas are in some type of formal state/national park, ranch or open space set up. Back home there are lots of trails cut through the woods that have just always been there. They are in no formal park or biking/hiking area. The the trails are just referred to as "the trails by the High School" or the "trails in The Hills". We have a lots of parks for riding, but the random trails are plentiful and easy to get to. In CO, are there any random trails are not a day and half journey to get to?

With the nice weather coming, I can't wait to get some serious time in.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Cynical Bystander
    We have all sorts of trail-use issues here as well as liability issues it seems; so for the most part any trails that aren't publically known are more than likely going to stay that way for fear of it getting closed down. But yes there are a decent amount, just depends on who you ask and where you go.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

i took the wheels home
    Just don't get rid of the Gemini. Come summer time, there are plenty of lift access trails at the same places you've been snowboarding. I guess in some ways those would be some 'hidden trails.'

Welcome to the nieghborhood!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Damn, trails in a National Park, eh? Sounds like you know more than I do. You live in Broomfield my friend, unless there's some hidden local stash behind the strip malls my guess is your driving. There are trails a plenty in CO but I beleive most "locals" aren't going to share the goods online (my rule of thumb anyway). Strike up some conversations with riders and begin the search. I'm sure others will chime in with some well known front range locations though. Now I'm off to ride, good luck.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Thank YOU, Chuck Norris!

where?

hey bro, where in MA did you come from? I just moved from Dracut (next to Lowell) about 3-1/2 years ago ... anyways, not too sure about trails "off the beaten path", but there are books of Colorada, Front Range, Boulder, etc mountain bike trails. You should check some out ... enjoy CO!!!
    Last edited by lusdawg; 04-09-2006 at 08:24 PM.