mtbr member
    Mar 2013

new addition horsetooth mountain park

So I was riding my normal Saturday morning ride up at Horsetooth stated at sawmill and on my way to wathen when I saw a new little trail? pretty sweet little left hand way around the small mountain on stout between the 2 herrington trails. fine by me because it eliminated me riding right next to a small cave that I keep thinking a mountain lion is going to come out of at 7 am ,, haha. nice work on trail ! very good addition with the best view of ft collins if you ask me.

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    I haven't gone that way in a while...need to get up there and check it out. If I understand your description correctly, that piece of trail is part of Herrington, not Stout. Stout ends at the T intersection where Herrington comes up from Spring.

mtbr member
    The trail is at the upper Stout Herrington intersections. It replaces the climb up the old road bed on Herrington to get back to Towers.

slow
    The Herrington re-route is a nice little piece of single track that detours the old ranch road bed. It takes away another challenging climb, but should be much more sustainable and has great views. Here is a shot from last week.
    new addition horsetooth mountain park-img_20130802_091035_369.jpg

Between this and the new north lower Sawmill trail, it is nice to see some new trails in the park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    The Herrington re-route is a nice little piece of single track that detours the old ranch road bed. It takes away another challenging climb, but should be much more sustainable and has great views. Here is a shot from last week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130802_091035_369.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	822070

Between this and the new north lower Sawmill trail, it is nice to see some new trails in the park.
    I agree especially with yearly park fees going up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

does the north lower sawmill trail have any tech sections ? it looked to me like it just went down to the nomad trail. just a short addition ?

slow
    Yes, the new north re-route at the bottom of Sawmill is just a short addition with no technical features. I have been using it as part of a loop with the other lower Sawmill re-route to gain a bit more climbing on loops around the reservoir.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Looks pretty choice. Can't wait to get up that way soon.