The Notorious S.L.O

Never had this happen...

Riding down Evr Grn Mtn west trail, come upon a hiker going downhill also, iphone in hand, ear phones in, I slow down and approach, calling out, "excuse me", several times, louder and louder each time, shouting at the end, zero acknowledgment. After following for ~30 yards, knowing that if I roll past, she will most likely freak when she sees me, I dismount and walk my bike past her, as she was completely oblivious that I was there until she sees me passing, she freaks out anyway, jumping and scurrying off the trail like she was hit with a cattle prod.

Being that oblivious to your surroundings can not in anyway be safe for anyone.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

ride
    I encounter that on occcasion and I agree. Completely unsafe to be that oblivious.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Nothing like enjoying the majestic nature of JeffCo, all while blowing out your eardrums with Justin Bieber's hot new track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Good it was you/biker and not a rattler.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Handle bar mounting options?

Is there an airhorn that is best suited for the front range? I'm afraid rapidly changing weather or getting teh HIGH might degrade performance of some brands...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    Good it was you/biker and not a rattler.
    Right, I'm glad the rattler I came up on didn't have his ear buds in and freak out once I was near him!

I used to have an Incredibell. Thought it would be a nice little warning upon approach. Turned out the oblivious would jump out of their skins at the sound of the bell.

I rode up to then passed some hikers on a fireroad in California once (if you must know, to the top of Mt. Cuyamaca outside Julian) and one of them literally jumped up and off the road. I heard him say as I was down the trail "I thought it was a bear!"
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
    Riding down Evr Grn Mtn west trail, come upon a hiker going downhill also, iphone in hand, ear phones in, I slow down and approach, calling out, "excuse me", several times, louder and louder each time, shouting at the end, zero acknowledgment. After following for ~30 yards, knowing that if I roll past, she will most likely freak when she sees me, I dismount and walk my bike past her, as she was completely oblivious that I was there until she sees me passing, she freaks out anyway, jumping and scurrying off the trail like she was hit with a cattle prod.

Being that oblivious to your surroundings can not in anyway be safe for anyone.
    I run into this all the time. Usually a polite tap behind their knee as you ride by will get them out of the way and send the appropriate message.

mtbr member
    With the correct head, you can use it to (re)inflate your burp'd tire as well.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I used to have an Incredibell. Thought it would be a nice little warning upon approach. Turned out the oblivious would jump out of their skins at the sound of the bell.
    Buying an Incredibell has been the second best upgrade I have made to my bike... For The Front Range™. In the three years I've had a bell on my bars, I've only had ONE hiker get pissed at me for alerting him with the bell. 99.99999999% of hikers, equestrians, etc. that I have given a friendly ring to have obliged themselves to allow me to pass, and half of those have even mentioned they appreciate the bell. The high pitch of the bell is often heard even over headphones, etc. YMMV.

***FYI: the First Bestest Upgrade I've made to my bike For The Front Range™ has been a dropper post. Which, if you think about it, NECESSITATES having a bell.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just break really hard and drag my back tire a couple of feet. That seems to catch their attention really fast.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    Handle bar mounting options?

Is there an airhorn that is best suited for the front range? I'm afraid rapidly changing weather or getting teh HIGH might degrade performance of some brands...

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    ^This! My buddy has one. He used it one time, after all of us were ringing our bells trying to get this girl to realize she was not alone. I'm pretty sure she needed a change of pants. It's not just loud, it's incredibly loud.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakoGT View Post
    I just break really hard and drag my back tire a couple of feet. That seems to catch their attention really fast.
    Tried that, flicking the break levers, Chris King hub doing its thing, nothing got thru to her, practically screaming, "excuse me" did not faze her.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That was one benefit of having Avid rotors. Those things would warble like a son of a *****. It never failed to get anyones attention. Downside, it drove me friggin bonkers.

Unpredictable
    Same thing happens all the time here. Girls who isolate themselves from their surroundings while away from assistance must be nuts. So many soil their pants when you pass them after all attempts to get attention fail, it makes you wonder why they didn't consider the risk that someone bad might approach. They do it where it's a quick drag to the sand dunes and sexual assault on isolated beachside tracks as well as in the bush. I've trickled along for over a hundred metres often waiting for a place to safely pass.

If you are somewhere remote you need to be aware. Bad enough when guys do it, but women are the ones taking this risk far too often.

650b me
    I had this happen recently too. Had to wait until we hit a switchback to finally get her attention. Pretty thoughtless to be blasting your music that loud on a trail.

mtbr member

if all else fails...

When you encounter iBud/EarPod wearing fools on the trail I recommend pulling one of these from your pack.

Name:  soaker.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  12.3 KB

the rest is self explanatory, I hope.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I've used my bottle a time or two. I used to just use it on dogs that would give chase, but I've used it coming down the chutes in COS twice in the last year. Too bad Waldo Canyon's not open. I think it's caused a little more crowding in the Stratton area.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Definitely an issue that needs awareness / education. Maybe a start would be a posting on the trailhead kiosk or trail marker.... (I know that's lame but I'm trying here)... I personally don't wear earbuds etc. when out on a trail hiking, cycling etc. for the single reason of enjoying the quite time and the sounds of the environment. I have run into the same situation as the O.P though... Once, I was behind a guy while down hilling at Winter Park who was slowly rolling through a wooded section with his earbuds in and did not realize his rear tire was flat!! Ladies should be more attentive by all means when alone in remote areas!! You can bet my daughter will know this...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventurous View Post
    That was one benefit of having Avid rotors. Those things would warble like a son of a *****. It never failed to get anyones attention. Downside, it drove me friggin bonkers.
    Hilarious. That's why I love my bb7's.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    Had that happen a fair number of times, some even yelled at me afterwards. Awesome... Grrr..

mtbr member
    I'm a musician and music lover, I listen to tons of music, but never on the bike or hiking on the trail. I really haven't had this issue in the dirt, usually I ride up on the woman with headphones in, walking in the middle of a 5 foot wide multi-use path with a dog wandering around with 25' of the retractable leash extended across the area. After a couple polite shouts I just roll up on their side and they usually freak out and react. I consider this their territory though so I am very patient.

My cheap, squeaky brakes do a decent job of warning, but I want a bell. Read the review of a Cannondale MTN bike recently that comes with a bell, they made the (I thought good) point that the sound of the bell as a 'warning' is a more pleasant way of giving notice as people associate it with their childhood bike/bell, where as the yelling from behind may put off some people as notice. I find most appreciate it, especially if you go by in a slower, controlled fashion instead of blasting them with dust and debris. I like the air horn for extreme circumstances!
    2013 Trek Marlin 29er stock (blue)
    2010 Giant TCX 2 Cross stock

The Notorious S.L.O
    yeah, I have been meaning to get a bell, guess I will hitting up the performance sale this weekend.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.