Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Netherlands to Boulder Trail Question

I remember reading in a bike mag a couple years ago about some singletrack that descends from Netherlands to Boulder. Apparently you can take the bus from downtown Boulder up to Netherlands and ride down. Has anyone done this ride? I was wondering if anyone has specific trail names. I have heard of several different trails that descend from Netherlands but was looking to see if anyone knows of any routes that work well to make it back to Boulder (apparently there is no single trail that goes the entire way to Boulder.) Thanks for any advice! Have a great day everyone! Matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wow, that would be a looooong bus ride. I'd rather fly.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Kid In The Helmet
    does said bus float?
    Ride Hard & Don't Get Dead!

Misses elastomer shocks
    man, you beat me to it.

mtbr member
    Alright, alright, my bad. Lol, Netherland-the one in Colorado.

Misses elastomer shocks
    to be fair, since it's your first post and you're going to get endlessly flamed for it, the name of the town is NEDERLAND.

i think the trail is off of the blue dot trail. i could be wrong, but it would be a good place to start.

..ouch
    Nothing that doesn't involve either crossing private land or significant sections of road.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Seems like this was just discussed

Diggity Dog
    They'll never give up the super double secret Ned ride.

A friend of mine took me on it a few years ago but I had to be blindfolded for more than half of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Nothing that doesn't involve either crossing private land or significant sections of road.
    There's a law out there somewhere that states if you trespass and use private property for x amount of time, you can legally claim the land yours. Just don't get caught in the mean time. A Boulder city official this a few years back and stole the land from a resident and there was nothing they could do about it. Now tell me this route and I will ride it once a week until all the private land becomes mine and then I can share with everyone.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    There's a law out there somewhere that states if you trespass and use private property for x amount of time, you can legally claim the land yours. Just don't get caught in the mean time. A Boulder city official this a few years back and stole the land from a resident and there was nothing they could do about it. Now tell me this route and I will ride it once a week until all the private land becomes mine and then I can share with everyone.
    X = 18 years and you have to do it in an open manner and there are numerous other requirements to get a prescriptive easement, which is what you're talking about. It is very had to prove.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    X = 18 years and you have to do it in an open manner and there are numerous other requirements to get a prescriptive easement, which is what you're talking about. It is very had to prove.
    18 years is it? I'm not dying anytime soon. If I helmet cam my rides, is that good enough proof? Now give up the goods.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Must be open, notorious, under a claim of right (using it as the true owner would) for the entire statutory period. So sneaking around doesn't do it, even tacit permission from the owner destroys it, and I believe now there is a good faith requirement in Colorado, you have to have a good faith belief that you own it. Well, those are the rules for adverse possession, not sure if there is some nuance to prescriptive easements.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan
    Must be open, notorious, under a claim of right (using it as the true owner would) for the entire statutory period. So sneaking around doesn't do it, even tacit permission from the owner destroys it, and I believe now there is a good faith requirement in Colorado, you have to have a good faith belief that you own it. Well, those are the rules for adverse possession, not sure if there is some nuance to prescriptive easements.
    So my plan only works for sneaky government employees it seems. Unless they changed the rules since. Bummer.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    So my plan only works for sneaky government employees it seems. Unless they changed the rules since. Bummer.
    If you are talking about the adverse possession case that made a lot of news a couple of years ago in Boulder, no government employees were involved. And having read the judge's decision in that case, it appeared to me that the people who lost land had a shitty lawyer; the judge's ruling seemed correct. In any case, in response to that case, the good faith requirement was written in to state law.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    AP is basically dead in CO due to the recent case.
    The classic parameters bagwham set apparently were too easy, so they tightened it up through legislation

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toweringhouse
    AP is basically dead in CO due to the recent case.
    The classic parameters bagwham set apparently were too easy, so they tightened it up through legislation
    all they did was add good faith to it, right? of course, good faith does raise the bar quite a bit, but the classic fence-line type cases will still likely be viable. The classic squatter cases won't be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I'll post the map for you

I'd post the gps map of the ride but the last time i did it was pre gps. so that's a bummer for you.

the ride exists, it's just over 100 miles out and back from boulder to the top of rollins slash corona pass.

Instead of shuttling your lazy azz up there you ride a combination of pavement and dirt roads to the summit. From there you take single track just to the north of the...........

well i'll stop there

best of luck bro. Unfortuantly on the decent there is about 10% pavement another 40% dirt roads and the rest is single track until about 3 - 4 miles outside of boulder, then you get to their "buffer zone" and the hikers take over any and all trails and there is none for you. the fun part of the ride is over at this point

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan
    If you are talking about the adverse possession case that made a lot of news a couple of years ago in Boulder, no government employees were involved..
    The guy that took the land, McLean, was a former Judge with plenty of connections in local legal community and government - including he and his wife being chairman and chairwoman of the Boulder County Democratic Party. Do a little digging, there was nothing "correct" about how that went down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I can't stop thinking about this ride. did this kid really read it in a magazine or is he making it up

Its been a long time since I've done it, I have to say that it is truely an epic

there is actually a couple different versions to the ride, this is probably one of the better.

so i'd like to share my love of the ride and map it out so others can share the love

the epic part of the ride actually starts on corona rollins pass not in the netherlands

-at the summit look for the goat trail right in front of you, hold on decend

-look for the magic portal, again right in front of you, rarely ever used so don't be fooled, it's actually well marked but you have to be a doggy to sniff it out

-did I mention climbing, suck it up and climb sucker, thought this was all a decent. wow what are these chairlifts doing here

-don't get eaten by the rainblow families living here and you thought they were all vegitarians

-now for some gay riding that used to be a "secret" right out side of the netherlands

-don't be silly and forget to head in that direction, you could head the other way for a different way down but you should have gone that way back where the chairlifts are to maximize dirt and single track.

-climb, what the heck are you doing to me

-wow i didn't know this was here and I'm not tresspassing yet

-nice decent, wow, this is a cool place, take a break

-look for my old bosses house. this is the kind of old boulder people type of place where they like guns. tresspassing, but wow is it worth it, epic epic decent

-traffic what the

-climb like a sucker, long boring roads, whose idea was this

-look for my "caregivers" house just outside of this totally rad town

-decend but be carefully this is where homeowners like to build barricades

-pavement, ride over

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo
    I can't stop thinking about this ride. did this kid really read it in a magazine or is he making it up
    It was published in Bike mag, I think. It should have never been published. It was misleading and blatantly wrong to publish; it wetted appetite for either a boring or partially illegal ride.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

skillz to pay billz
    there's lots of ways to get to boulder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    It was published in Bike mag, I think. It should have never been published. It was misleading and blatantly wrong to publish; it wetted appetite for either a boring or partially illegal ride.

_MK
    If I remember correctly (in my mind I'm always the righteous one) I got into it with MF over on the BIKE board about how BS it was of them to publish it without having a F-ING CLUE as to the issues involved with the ride. I think he wanted me to write a rubuttal or something. F- that, you (or your mag) wrote a "misleading and blatantly wrong", not to mention irresponsible article and you want me to right it for you, no. Cancel my subscription.

I did the ride 2-3 times back in the day. IMO, not worth the hassle... and that was back "in the day".

From the old thread... perhaps a bit off topic...

Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Great point. I guess I fall into the snob category. Well, let me clarify. I guess you could call me a snob cause there’s no way in hell that I’d post a trail I ride on mtbr or for that matter anywhere on the net. Just cause you and I ride a bike doesn’t mean that somehow we’re (magically) on the same page about etiquette or ethics. Funny cause the majority of trails I ride are readily found either on the net, in trail books or simply well known rides.
    That being said, should we meet on trail, on a bar stool, or anywhere else and you (sounds elitist, I know) “pass the test”, i.e. seem like a decent human I’m all about sharing the goods. The internet is just to “unknown”, to faceless to go about posting (yeah, I’ll say it) *my trails* on. Flame away if you must, it won’t change my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I'll freely admit it; there are trails in my local area that most of you don't know about, and that's how it's gonna stay. It's like that all up and down the front range. It's not snobbery, it's preservation. If these trails were made known to the general mtb community at large, they would cease to exist within a couple weeks. yea yea, it's not fair, it's not right.... but that's the way it is. Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Word. Again, the funny thing is that I really don't need to know about *your* trails. I'm actually happy you have yours and I have mine! I mean, should we cross paths someday and you decide to show me the goods or vise versa... hell, I'm down with that. Otherwise I'm happy putting in the effort to find new stuff on my own. Suprise, that's how it was done back in the day.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    The guy that took the land, McLean, was a former Judge with plenty of connections in local legal community and government - including he and his wife being chairman and chairwoman of the Boulder County Democratic Party. Do a little digging, there was nothing "correct" about how that went down.
    I know all about the case, I followed it very closely, read most if not all of the judge's rulings, etc. The judge's rulings seemed reasonable and well supported by the law. As a lawyer, my take on it was that it had nothing to do with McLean's superior connections. McLean was a lawyer so of course he did know about adverse possession and used his knowledge of the doctrine to his advantage, but that is not the same as saying he used his connections in some inappropriate manner. The other party's lawyer also made some dumb arguments (for ex, he argued that McLean's possession was not done in good faith, even though good faith was not a requirement at that time; it is now), which lead me to conclude that the other party lost not because of any backroom shenanigans, but rather because of poor lawyering.

People's outrage over the whole thing seemed far more about the concept of adverse possession as a whole, which the general public wasn't very familiar with (I saw the same outrage in first year Property class, when we were first taught about AP). That outrage seemed to get channeled into "something very fishy went down", and people then went looking for facts to support that belief. For ex, people accused the judge of bias simply because he deferentially addressed Mclean -- a former judge -- the first time McLean was in the courtroom. That's just typical legal formality/respect, and doesn't provide a shred of evidence of bias, IMO, and I suspect most lawyers would agree with me. We are trained to show great deference to judges. Doesn't have anything to do with how we evaluate facts and law.

In reality, it was pretty much a run of the mill AP case that just happened to catch the public's attention.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    there's lots of ways to get to boulder.
    I was wondering when Mr. Nederland would chime in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast