mtbr member
    Mar 2006

The NERVE of Some People!!

I rode UP Baldy today. Shame on me. Yielded to 3 that rode up Sandywash. Isn't that illegal or something?
    WTF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyturn
    I rode UP Baldy today. Shame on me. Yielded to 3 that rode up Sandywash. Isn't that illegal or something?
    Hmmm... I rode the same direction today. But it was my first time on that trail, so I plead ignorance. Did not know there was a "proper" direction.

Only met a handful of bikers out there, which was not what I expected on a holiday weekend. Trail was a bit washed out.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Your bike is incorrigible
    [size="6"]Death To Those Who Ride Up Baldy Instead Of Sandy Wash!!![/size]
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Meh, I don't get the whole "don't ride up Baldy" thing. The thing about BC is that you can do a hundred different route combos, but if I come down Morrison Creek and want to ride down Sandy, why on earth would I go downhill on the fire road only to climb up Sandy, then turn around and descend it?

Sure, I normally take Gashouse up to do this route, but based on how rutted out it is right now I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon. So if I want to ride up Baldy, I can go without the "you're going to wrong way" comments on the trail.

mtbr member

not buyin' it

I'm with you Fusker. One of my favorite BC routes includes climbing Baldy. I'm not ready to give that up. I have yet to ride down it though, to see what all this new "don't climb Baldy" thing is all about. I can't imagine it being any better than the Sandy Wash descent. In all of my rides up Baldy, I have seen far more bikes going up it than down, and never have I had any conflicts of any kind with opposite traffic. So what's with all the intensity Guyechka?

feel the Force
    IMO down Sandy is way better than down Baldy, so I typically go down Sandy, up Baldy, Down Gashouse, back up Baldy. I love 2 wheel drifting the corners on Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by pinerider
    I'm with you Fusker. One of my favorite BC routes includes climbing Baldy. I'm not ready to give that up. I have yet to ride down it though, to see what all this new "don't climb Baldy" thing is all about. I can't imagine it being any better than the Sandy Wash descent. In all of my rides up Baldy, I have seen far more bikes going up it than down, and never have I had any conflicts of any kind with opposite traffic. So what's with all the intensity Guyechka?
    Ok, my reasoning is that it's much better to ride up singletrack and down doubletrack than the other way round. I start at the parking lot by the ranger station off 126. I've ridden up Sandywash and down Baldy about six or seven times. I've ridden the reverse once (ridden up Baldy a couple of times but only once down Sandywash. Believe me, it's much nicer to ride up Sandywash. There are a couple of little technical sections, and you get to ride up Charlie's instead of down--the big slab is what I really look forward to.

The intensity stems from my desire to use the GIF I found and from my sarcasm. I mean, I could really care less which way anyone rides it. It's all good, just a matter of personal choice. Besides, I usually go out there during the week when nobody's around, so I hardly ever run into anyone who has to yield to me. Even on the weekend I can't imagine BC becoming as crowded as, say, Hall. I'm just trying to get the point across that there are no "one way" signs, so the argument seems a little silly.

Shattering Glass
    18 road is the only place I know of suggested directionals. As far as Hall Ranch, Boulder would rather be ignorant with their out and backs instead of another way back down so conflict will always be a part of riding there. At least BC has many options

mtbr member
    A fun one that will get you about 30 miles is.....up Strawberry Jack, down Charlie's Cutoff, Sandy Wash, up Shingle Mill, Colorado Trail, down Tramway, up Gashouse, Buck Gulch back to Pine Valley. Really nice flow, with some fast downs. If that isn't enough for you add the Green Mountain Loop off of the Colorado Trail.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Ok, my reasoning is that it's much better to ride up singletrack and down doubletrack than the other way round.
    This is crazy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    and you get to ride up Charlie's instead of down--the big slab is what I really look forward to.
    This is crazy talk too.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    This is crazy talk.

I immediately imagine someone climbing The Ribbon in Junction and then riding down the road.

Bah! Crazy talk or not, I love riding up Sandywash. Plus, if you start at the ranger station, ride up Sandywash and down Baldy, you are then in prime position to ride over to the CO trail. Ride the bottom of Gashouse and you are in even better position. So you can ride the lower part of the CO trail and come back down on either Tramway or Shinglemill. Yes, I know my detractors are going to argue the you can go up Shinglemill from the bottom of Sandywash. Still, can't we agree that Shinglemill makes a better downhill than Sandywash?

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Hmm, I've never ridden down Shinglemill, it would be fun. I start going downhill at Charlies Cutoff and don't stop till the bottom of Sandy Wash, I like that.
    Longer ride: Rangers station-Shinglemill-CT(Green mtn maybe)-campground-Gashouse-Charlies-Homestead-Sandywash.
    Shorter: Rangerstation-up 2 track to Gashouse-Gashouse climb-down Charlies, etc.

I rode down Baldy once, it was fun but short. Gotta link it up in a new combo I suppose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    A fun one that will get you about 30 miles is.....up Strawberry Jack, down Charlie's Cutoff, Sandy Wash, up Shingle Mill, Colorado Trail, down Tramway, up Gashouse, Buck Gulch back to Pine Valley. Really nice flow, with some fast downs. If that isn't enough for you add the Green Mountain Loop off of the Colorado Trail.
    The way you're talking about doing Strawberry Jack & Buck Gulch (if one were to cut your ride WAAAAY down) is clockwise, right? (Just so I'm not mixing up my trails.) Why do you like that way better than the reverse. Up BG and down SJ gives some rad descents in the burn area (on both trails) and I don't feel like any of the climbs that way would be that fun riding down, either. But I'm happy to be convinced that I'm wrong and should give the other way a try.