DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Nelson OS snowride/explore

We went out this Sunday morning to check out the Nelson OS trails and the connector to Indian Creek. It's a pain to accomplish this since there is no "formal" access to the Nelson trails from the Roxborough side since Roxborough State Park is closed to MTBs and the Roxborough Park residential area is closed to non-residents which effectively cuts off access to Douglas County Road 5 without driving through Sedalia and up Hwy 67. Bastids. There is a little known public easement through the Roxborough Park/Arrowhead golf course though and that is the route we took. Golf course personnel have been known to threaten and rant at folks using this access so be warned.

We parked the truck in the parking lot behind the Roxborough Fire Department and rode our bikes from there. MTB'ing in the snow is not pretty, at least not for this group. The kid who looks like he got dressed in a duffle bag is my son (yes, those are homemade booties). The other guy is my friend Chuck D, formally of Yeti & Avid and now a design engineer for SRAM. This was not a posed shot, these two always stand around like that.
    Last edited by DWF; 03-20-2006 at 10:51 AM.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

DC 5 Paved

Pic 1 is the paved access to the gate closing DC 5 to motorized traffic.

Pic 2 is looking back over the dirt road we climbed to get to the trail.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Top of the climb

Shot 1 shows the view from the very top of the climb before we started the loop.

Shot 2 is the turn into a slickrock section.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Last shot

Here's one of my son practicing his nose turns on the slickrock sections. This was the last shot I got off before the battery died...I'd left the camera in the truck all night.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Trail Summary

In all, the Nelson OS trails are pretty tame and while fun in the snow, I'd give it a pass any other time, 'cept maybe as a night ride. The climb from the Fire Department to where you can actually connect to the trail, while a gradual grade, is constant for a couple 3 or 4 miles. It was tiring in the snow and I'm not sure it'd be any better in the dry as the road is sandy and very loose. I actually think it's faster to go through Waterton to access the Indian Creek trails since that six miles along the Platte is fastfast, and only takes about 30-35 minutes tops to get to the Colorado Trail.

Today's route took us about an hour of unispiring slogging to get to a decent trail. This route would have great potential if they hadn't of gated off DC5 (thank you Roxborough Park residents!) and you could park at the trail head like you could 3 years ago. The other trails that you could take to lop off lots of time to Indian Creek trails using this route are all closed to MTB's so if you want to stay legal, I'd pass on this route and stick to Waterton. That 6-miles along the Platte is good for you...

locked - time out
    Nice - thanks for the pics. I think I might have met your friend Chuck D a few weeks ago while a friend and I had a launch ramp set up at the park by his house (the one here in Roxborough with the sledding hills, aka...endless transitions) - does he drive a Honda?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    does he drive a Honda?
    Tell you the truth, I don't know, I've never paid any attention to it. It's a small, black, SUV type o' thing. I can tell you his complete bike setup though....

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Tell you the truth, I don't know, I've never paid any attention to it. It's a small, black, SUV type o' thing. I can tell you his complete bike setup though....
    It's gotta be him - he was talking to us about NOS and gave me his phone # (which I just looked at) - either that, or there are 2 guys running around riding NOS, both of whom work for SRAM as engineers, and used to work for Yeti...and whose names are Chuck

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    It's gotta be him - he was talking to us about NOS and gave me his phone # (which I just looked at) - either that, or there are 2 guys running around riding NOS, both of whom work for SRAM as engineers, and used to work for Yeti...and whose names are Chuck
    Sounds like him. Chuck's a cool guy and real activist for getting trail/land access. Oh yeah, make sure you always call him by his nickname: Chuckie-poo. He loves that.

Hairshirt Rider
    So about them Indian Creek trails. I've never ridden them, how much trail is back there? Loops or out and back? I'm assuming the northerly access point is off the Waterton loop on the top end? What about south? Can you get to them from the hamlet of Indian Creek? I know that area is popular with the dirt bikes.

I'm thinking a nice, long epic day might be a loop on Mt. Herman followed by a trek up RR road to Indian Creek and into Waterton. Doable?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    So about them Indian Creek trails. I've never ridden them, how much trail is back there? Loops or out and back? I'm assuming the northerly access point is off the Waterton loop on the top end? What about south? Can you get to them from the hamlet of Indian Creek? I know that area is popular with the dirt bikes.

I'm thinking a nice, long epic day might be a loop on Mt. Herman followed by a trek up RR road to Indian Creek and into Waterton. Doable?
    Doable? From Mt. Herman? I suppose so but EPIC wouldn't begin to describe that. That'd be what, close to 80 or 90 miles as a loop? Just doing the 30-odd miles as a loop from Waterton always had my dik dragging in the dirt.

Here's a link to the trail review I did (DWF=OJV) for what existed back there in '99: http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...7_4533crx.aspx

Here's a link for the Indian Creek trail review: http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...4_4533crx.aspx

And here's another for riding the same trail from the Sedalia side: http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...2_4533crx.aspx

There's a ton of trails around Indian Creek. The main trail, Roxborough Loop to Indian Creek to Powerline is one hell of a ride and it can take some routefinding and a good map, especially if you want to do some exploring. We've ended up in some pretty F'd places trying to find new routes and in some places the game trails are better worn in the the regular trails. This area just doesn't get much traffic and unless someone has gone in a cleaned out the connector to the CT off of Indian Creek at Bear Creek don't take that. Once we got below the falls, we spent 5 or 6 hours bushwacking through 2 miles of old trail to get through that. Long story.

Hairshirt Rider
    Thanksfor the info - I was thinking point to point, starting with a single loop on Mt. Herman. I agree a single day out and back would be a bit much for me.