mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Neighborhoods in Denver/Boulder Area for Road Bikers

I know this is a mountain biking forum but the road forum has far fewer viewers.

My girlfriend and I will be in Colorado next week both to vacation and to find potential neighborhoods in the Denver/Boulder area to eventually, (1-2 years from now), move to. We currently live in Virginia 1/2 miles from a 45 mile paved bike trail, and we would like to find a similiar situation where we do not need to use a car to road bike. She is deaf and prefers not to ride in bike lanes or extensive street riding.

What we are looking for are areas that :

1. Have the bike trail nearby, within a mile, that connects to other paved trails.

2. Neighborhoods with owners who take care of their homes and generally are not renting them out. We expect to pay in the $600,000 range. Although we do not have kids, having a quality school district is important for resale values.

3. Not near trains or highways.

We plan on contacting real estate agents in the area for advice on neighborhoods to check out, but since most agents are not bikers we would like some advice from this forum. Any ideas? D
    Last edited by mmpotash; 08-01-2008 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

$600k?

Holy crap, you could live in Boulder. Except while Boulder is good for road biking, the bike path action is only about 10 miles worth.

You could probably find a nice McMansion in Ken Caryl ranch. There is a bike path along C470 just to the east of there that joins the Denver network, which is over 100 miles. You can also look in south Denver near Cherry Creek, and in Golden.

I'm not familiar with VA, but I have a feeling you are looking for nice rail trails. There aren't any of those around here. The majority of the bike paths are designed for commuters, and as such, they tend to run along major highways and in kind of gritty places. They really aren't much fun to *ride* if you know what I mean. Especially when you factor in the walkers/runners, rollerbladers, strollers and homeless wanderers.

There is an awesome rail trail trail between Vail and Breckenridge, but it is only open about six months out of the year.

skillz to pay billz
    high rollin', get it, big dollas and 700cc wheels, you could live anywhere doggy.

friend of Apex
    Most houses around here are linked to roads via the driveway
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmpotash
    She is deaf and prefers not to ride in bike lanes or extensive street riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Most houses around here are linked to roads via the driveway

can't tell if you're blatantly trying to be rude

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    can't tell if you're blatantly trying to be rude
    Nope, just ignorant. Nice catch

Here's a link to a map of the major commuter/fun bike trails in Denver.

http://www.sandcreekgreenway.org/ass...stmaplarge.jpg

In Boulder, you should be set no matter where you end - up.

In general, its been my experience that anywhere along a creek or a canal, there is a good trail.
    (Bear creek, Cherry creek, S Platte)
    and up north where I'm at Dry Creek, Highline Canal, just to name a few.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    WKD's pic:

mmpotash, look for #4 on the map. That area is really nice...by the foothills for dirt trail, near a rez, by the C470 trail. If I had my way, I'd look into living in that area!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Paths

Thanks for the advice and the diagram, and no offense taken. Any other ideas???

lucky enough
    You can do a 24 mile loop on Boulder bike paths. And other loops are available as well. Check out this link for some maps.
    http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/index.ph...53&Itemid=2979
    It'd be hard to find a more bicycle-friendly town in the U.S. than Boulder. Lots of roadies everywhere. And one nice thing about that is that drivers are used to seeing and dealing with cyclists, so even riding along roads isn't really a problem and some roads have extra wide shoulders. Plus, being able to ride up the various scenic canyons allows one to get to cooler higher elevations - and have fast descents back into town.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Thread Terrorist
    We plan on contacting real estate agents in the area for advice on neighborhoods to check out, but since most agents are not bikers we would like some advice from this forum. Any ideas? D
    Move to Golden. Road biking and mountain biking out your back door. You can get okay places in Golden for $600K.

But my honest suggestion? Keep going to Grand Junction... or stay put.

mtbr member
    We moved out here to live in a little development called Prospect. prospectnewtown.com There is a great bike/walking etc. etc. paved path that my kid (12) rides quite a lot. It follows the St. Varian creek is is pretty cool. And living in Prospect ain't so bad either. 40 min. from Denver and 15 to Boulder. Good schools as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I live at I-25 and Broadway and work at I-25 and dry creek, it appears I could ride to work. Has anyone used that path? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Denver

My girlfriend and I just finished spending 2 long days getting tours with realtors, one day in the Denver area and one in the Boulder area. These realtors were road bikers and knew the trails in their towns.

Boulder was nice, but way too pricey for the house. It would have taken $800k for a house we loved. Loveland had an incredible neighborhood, Prospect Town, and was building a decent trail system. But we felt it would be a bit too quiet a town.

Denver's neighborhoods were generally not very attractive. Each of the 7 neighborhoods had some good things, but the only one that was seemed right was Ken-Caryl, west of route 470. The houses were a bit too big, and not necessary the best for us, but the running and biking trails were nice, and the views were very nice. The paved trail next to 470 wasn't as good as what we have back home, but .it connects to the other major trails in the extensive Denver system. My girlfriend loved the neighborhood and the hills. So, if we move to Denver I think it will be here.

Thanks to all who helped!!!

Old, stale, negative
    Lew- iss- ville!!!!!! Works for me and you could get a steal of a place. I road ride, fixie disaster/ destroyer/ evening drunkin' jounts without touching roads, and straight out all day mountain rides from my front door. With the budget you have I think you can pick and choose.

mtbr member
    My girlfriend and I just finished spending 2 long days getting tours with realtors, one day in the Denver area and one in the Boulder area. These realtors were road bikers and knew the trails in their towns.

Boulder was nice, but way too pricey for the house. It would have taken $800k for a house we loved. Loveland had an incredible neighborhood, Prospect Town, and was building a decent trail system. But we felt it would be a bit too quiet a town.

Denver's neighborhoods were generally not very attractive. Each of the 7 neighborhoods had some good things, but the only one that was seemed right was Ken-Caryl, west of route 470. The houses were a bit too big, and not necessary the best for us, but the running and biking trails were nice, and the views were very nice. The paved trail next to 470 wasn't as good as what we have back home, but .it connects to the other major trails in the extensive Denver system. My girlfriend loved the neighborhood and the hills. So, if we move to Denver I think it will be here.

Thanks to all who helped!!!
    What'd I tell ya

Moosehead

Ditto Golden, Boulder, Ken Caryl - Denver not bad alternative

Best road and mountain biking is definitely those westside areas.

That said, downtown Denver offers great access to paved path system shown above via Cherry Creek bike path. You can still afford a house with a yard and trees close into downtown and still get to paths, parks, resevoirs - certainly won't be as big a home as Golden, etc but you may have a better shot at jobs depending upon business.

Try Washington Park, Park Hill, Congress Park, Observatory Park for close in Denver hood alternatives next time in town. I'm also a former Washingtonian/northern VA person and we've been here going on 20+ yrs - great place to live. Welcome to the Rockies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "Denver's neighborhoods were generally not very attractive."

Thank you very little. I'll start preparing the welcome wagon for your arrival.

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by namwons
    "Denver's neighborhoods were generally not very attractive."

Thank you very little. I'll start preparing the welcome wagon for your arrival.
    +1 on that namwons!! Glad my view of the entire front range is less than desired, welcome to Colorado, enjoy your stay.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Rolling
    mmpotash should consider Larimer County!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Denver

OK, play nice

We will probably move here because we love Colorado! I've visited/kayaked/skied/hiked/climbed in Colorado well over 100 times in the last 35 years, so I know how nice it is. I've stayed with friends in Denver and met tons of good people. But we just did not find many of the neighborhoods all that visually attractive, unless you want to spend tons of money.

That being said, THANKS AGAIN for all the advice!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    [QUOTE=mmpotash]we just did not find many of the neighborhoods all that visually attractiveQUOTE]

Riiiiight, thanks for the clarification. Just a difference of opinion on the definition of "visually attractive", I suppose (and "tons of money", for that matter). A street lined with well-cared-for victorians and craftsman bungalows and 100-year-old trees is visually attractive to me. Tract housing and "cathedral" ceilings aren't my cup of tea. To each his own...

We can all agree on the natural beauty of the state of Colorado, though.