Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Need winter cycling shoes advice.

I have decided to give myself a present of some winter cycling shoes this winter. First pair of dedicated winter cycling shoes for me. In past I have done the normal wool socks, booties and cold toes route. Local advice is appreciated.

Have done the normal research and have decided to go with the Shimano MW80 or MW81 as top choice or the Sidi Diablo as second. Any input or practical experience with either? Advice is appreciated.

Long time Sidi Dominator user (size 43). Assuming one size bigger with winter shoes. How would Shimano sizing compare?

Know of any local stores with some in stock so I can hold and try on? So far, no one seems to have them in stock yet. If at all.

Thanks for the help.
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

Yappy little dog!
    LAKE

Have had mine for almost eight years and still as good as the day I bought them. DOn't use them as much as I did in NJ, but they see a good 25 - 30 wintery rides a year,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need winter cycling shoes advice.-mxz302.jpg  

bacon! bacon! bacon!

mtbr member
    I had trouble fitting into the Lakes. They were too narrow for my feet which are wide. My road shoes are Sidis and my winter clipless shoes are Shimanos. The Shimanos have more room in the toe box then Sidis. I bought my Shimano winter shoes one size larger then my road shoes. The Shimanos are very nice winter shoes.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    dude if your toes are getting cold with wool and booties I'd go with Lakes. I have never seen the shimano or sidi offerings in person.But just think if you are susceptible to cold feet you might want to consider the lakes
    My barrier mtb shoe covers have worked great the past 5 seasons. SIngle digit weather I can hang for an hour, maybe more with some whiskey.
    The elastic band on the sole is on the last threads on the shoe cover. I am debating either throwing another elastic band on there and get another 3 seasons or pony up for the Pearl gtx winter shoes. Those seem to be perfect shoes for colorado.

mtbr member
    I got Northwave Celsius GTX Winter Cycling Boots last year and I love them. Get them 2 sizes bigger then normal to fit thick socks and you should be good to go. I don't care what kind of booties you use. The cleat and uninsulated sole of the shoe will suck all the heat right out of your foot.

Northwave Celsius GTX Winter Cycling Boots, Shoes, ProBikeKit United States

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    I had trouble fitting into the Lakes. They were too narrow for my feet which are wide. My road shoes are Sidis and my winter clipless shoes are Shimanos. The Shimanos have more room in the toe box then Sidis. I bought my Shimano winter shoes one size larger then my road shoes. The Shimanos are very nice winter shoes.
    They make a wide size. I have them.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I have the Shimano winter shoes and they are nice (much easier to ride in than mountain shoe booties)... durable, comfortable, not too bulky or awkward. They only come in full sizes, but a 44 for my 43.5 foot was more than "bigger" enough for a base layer sock and a wool sock. Shimano doesn't seem to import many of them each year and it can be difficult finding them in the popular sizes.

Rigid in Evergreen
    grrr

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming if you got them. I particularly like skareds- Trying to tell me I am looking for the wrong boot?

The Lakes look warm, but a little too boot like for my liking and use. I tend to pick mtb or monstercross foothill rides that I can spin as much as possible in the winter. Definitely looking for a warmer and waterproof cycling shoe for those 40deg to 0degree days. Below that is spinner time in the basement for me.

Anyone seen any in local shops yet? Or is that too much to ask for?

Thanks again. Ride safe!
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

mtbr member
    I've been looking at Louis Garneau 0 Ergo Grip. I can't find any locally (in stock, a lot of places can order them). Until then, I'll be using my 3mm neoprene shoe covers.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of the Lake shoes from about 5 years ago. I use them maybe 10-12 times a winter and they seem to be pretty durable and they do a pretty good job keeping my feet warm down to single digits, and my feet get cold pretty easily. My only complaint is that they are kind of clunky, but I guess that's the tradeoff with warmth. Specialized has a pair winter shoes that I'd be interested in if I were in the market.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by llama View Post
    I have a pair of the Lake shoes from about 5 years ago. I use them maybe 10-12 times a winter and they seem to be pretty durable and they do a pretty good job keeping my feet warm down to single digits, and my feet get cold pretty easily. My only complaint is that they are kind of clunky, but I guess that's the tradeoff with warmth. Specialized has a pair winter shoes that I'd be interested in if I were in the market.
    I opted for the MX-140 Lake's instead because they are much lighter and less clunky. When it is below 20 degrees, I put an outer shoe cover on for another layer of protection.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    ...got Northwave Celsius GTX Winter Cycling Boots...
    +1. I wear some Smartwool Phds under them and they were good down to the teens for NY winter riding. Feet are nice and warm out here no problem.

BTW, I do have a pair that I bought on the Internets but they were one size too small, so I got a 2nd pair the next size up. They got mixed up in my move and have been in the box, brand new. I think they might fit you, if you wear a 9.5-10. I'd let them go for half and you wouldn't need to pay shipping. PM me...
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    I have the Shimano winter shoes and they are nice (much easier to ride in than mountain shoe booties)... durable, comfortable, not too bulky or awkward. They only come in full sizes, but a 44 for my 43.5 foot was more than "bigger" enough for a base layer sock and a wool sock. Shimano doesn't seem to import many of them each year and it can be difficult finding them in the popular sizes.
    +1 on the Shimano shoes. I wear a 44.5 in Sidis and the 45 MW80s fit nicely. My feet still get cold, but it takes longer than when I'm wearing Dominators and neoprene booties.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

<100%
    Shimano MW80 - Used them all last year. Not waterproof - will soak through in very wet weather (i.e road riding in the rain). Nice and warm otherwise - these shoes, two pair of socks and a shoe cover = warm feet at 0deg for me

Pearl Barriers - great shoe - dry, warm but too narrrow for my foot and they have been discontinued. My wife has them and loves them.

Lakes - great option. Regular width not wide enough for me and I could not find them in stock anywhere in the wider width. Hard to find (Turin? Paul's?). I could not find a list of current dealer's on Lake's website.

Louis Garneau 0 ergo - Bought online and returned two years ago. Way too narrow for my foot - more painful on my foot than a Raichle Flexon Comp. Did not seem like it would be as warm as they claim but when your foot is being crushed like a vice, it's hard to tell.

Specialized Defroster - very comfortable. Was not warm enough for serious cold. Looks like it may have been revised in the last year - I may try a pair this year. Looks like it may hold up to wet better than my MW80 does.

Also, Home Depot has hand and toe warmers in bulk boxes. One on each foot inside the shoe helps a lot and they are about $.50 per ride.

Winter Cycling Shoes - Buy Winter Cycling and Bike Shoes use to carry a very good selection (Lake's and others). I looks like their current selection is limited to Northwave and Shimano.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    A couple of posters have mentioned the Northwave Celsius GTX. Looks interesting. Anyone have experience with it?

I should say experience with them. It seems there are two models. Celsius is rated to 14F and the Arctic model is rated to -31F. Any experience or comments on rating systems for our Colorado weather? Also the Northwave sizing charts seem to be different. Any thoughts or suggestions?

It is kind of frustrating to have to internet shop for these products. Too bad there is not a store where you could actually touch and try on a couple of these brands. Instead of basing a choice on reviews and repeated "fit" questions.

Thanks for your help.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by snigs View Post
    +1. I wear some Smartwool Phds under them and they were good down to the teens for NY winter riding. Feet are nice and warm out here no problem.

BTW, I do have a pair that I bought on the Internets but they were one size too small, so I got a 2nd pair the next size up. They got mixed up in my move and have been in the box, brand new. I think they might fit you, if you wear a 9.5-10. I'd let them go for half and you wouldn't need to pay shipping. PM me...
    If the Op isn't interested in the extra shoes, I am - sent you a PM.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hotronic Official Web Site | Hotronic - Keeping Feet Warm, Keeping Hands and Feet Dry!
    I have two pair...one for my mtb shoes and one for my road shoes. Combine with genunine gortex socks and gortex booties = Toastie toes!

banned

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    ^^^^^^^

So true, I've been using King Super bags instead of condoms... reduce, reuse, recycle

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    ^^^^^^^

So true, I've been using King Super bags instead of condoms... reduce, reuse, recycle
    Turn inside out rinse and continue. Good thinking.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    ^^^^^^^

Hahaha, but doesn't that crinkling plastic sound get annoying??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    +1

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have a pair of the Lake winter shoes. I bought them sized large enough to wear liner socks and thick wool socks. Its important that they aren't tight. I'm not so tough now days, but I rode to work in Fairbanks down to -20 and they worked well.

I've had good luck in the lower 48 just covering my vents with duct tape. Then adding booties if its going to be wet or snowy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast