Mi nombre es Austin

... and if we just ... Need a tour: Red Rocks trail system July 2

I'm 16 years old and I'm gonna be going on a road trip to colorado this summer, I've decided to add Red Rocks mountain bike trail to my list of places I want to go and I've chosen july 2nd to ride it so I can also hit up a concert at the famous red rocks ampitheater,

I have no idea of what trails to take so I'd value someone who knows the trail system well enough to accompany me on blistering descents

I'm looking for someone to accompany me on a ride of the trails there, preferably someone ready for some high speed rough descents and relatively aggressive climbs as that is what I'm aiming for on this ride. I'm a competetive Dher and trials enthusiast so I'm looking for someone who appreciates these traits, I'm a HUGE fan of technical and steep trails so I'm looking for a rider who does as well

any takers?

I'll be on a 5.9 in travel AM bike and I'm ready for epic 4 hour ride
    Last edited by nitropiro; 03-15-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    If a XC bike with 4 in. of travel goes down the RedBull Rampage course and nobody is there to see it, is it considered DH

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    If you want 4hrs worth of fun your gonna need to add in some other close in trails to red rocks- definately dakota ridge - and a pedal over to Apex- but these are all multi use trails so the blistering downhill will have to be kept in check.

Not sure if your looking to ride april 2nd or July 2nd. guessing July- im sure there are plenty on here that can accompany you!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Mi nombre es Austin
    thanks for pointing out the discrepency, yeah july 2nd, I saw red rocks trails in a mbaction mag and it looked prett gnar so that's what I'm hitting, and The glitch mob is gonna be playing there july 2nd
    If a XC bike with 4 in. of travel goes down the RedBull Rampage course and nobody is there to see it, is it considered DH

Cant remember whos vid this is here on the forum, but its a good one and gives you some perspective of the dakota ridge trail with views of red rocks in the background.

And here are some gals showin their skills on some of the trail within Matthew Winters where the red rocks trail is located- red rocks itself is not all that technical but the morrison slide trail which is where most of this is from i think is what your lookin for! As well as some of the Dakota ridge trail! enjoy!

and if your in town the thursday before - look up the t.i.t.s. night rides on here!

the blog

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    It's not as gnar as mtb action might have you believe.

That's not to say it's not fun... it is.

Mi nombre es Austin
    ok so as far as I've come to understand I'm looking to ride dakota ridge and what else? I'm really gonna need a guide from what it's looking like.

my local mountain here in North Alabama is super technical but it's all limestone, I can't wait to try out the trails on the front range

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    No. No need for a guide. Trails are all well marked and can be found on the Jefferson County Open Space map page.

And I guess if your Alabama trail is "super technical" then you may find Dakota Ridge to be "pretty gnar"...

mtbr member
    id start up the fire road at Dakota Ridge (you can park at MAtthew Winters and ride across the highway if you want. you should see the fire road climb up a couple hundred feet), ride that all the way until it hits highway 26. cross that, go up a bit, then descend until it dumps you out on to road 93. Cross that and you should see a sign for "Red Rocks Park" or something like that.

enter that on the road and go about 1/8 a mile and you should see the Red Rocks Trail start on your right. this is probably the most boring part of the ride IMO. youll climb for a while and at some point youll see a sign for the Morrison Slide trail. it cuts off to your left while the Red Rocks trail continues to your right. I generally preferred to descend that side of Morrison Slide, but you can go up if you want, and it is some pretty good, tech climbing.

Go up that and youll be on the plateau. keep going and eventually it starts going down again and will dump you back on Red Rocks Trail, which you can continue downwards until you end up at the Matthew Winters Park trailhead. The Dakota Ridge trailhead is just across the highway.

That probably wont take you 4 hours, but might take 2-3. youll probably be fairly tired though with the elevation and all. if you can clean most/all of Dakota Ridge, you're a better man than I!

This should get you what you need.
    http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/mattwin.pdf

the blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    +1 for dakota ridge- That sounds like what your looking for....the Red Rocks trail is fun but pretty tame.