The Notorious S.L.O

Need some Moab trail recommendations....

headed to Moab tomorrow am, and my guide, (the only one of us that had ever been before), is unable to go now.
    I need some suggested rides for the following:

Friday afternoon, (we are leaving tomorrow early), looking for a ~2 hr ride, perhaps not super techy.
    Saturday, one or two rides for the day, ~ 6hr
    Sunday,one or two rides for the day, ~ 6hr
    Monday, ~1hr or so before we hit the road.

I guess I will have to grab a trail guide before we leave as well.
    Thanks for your help.

Edit: add some clarity.
    Colorado front range resident, typical weekday ride 1-1.5 hours, 2+ on the weekend, been riding falcon for the past couple weeks to increase my fitness level, not one that goes out of my way looking for drops, don't mind sustained climbs. Want to take advantage of being in Moab, expecting longer than normal ride. Last fall's trip to Fruita, road Rustlers, Horse Thief, Stephen's and Moore fun after driving out to Kokopelli from evergreen.
    Last edited by btadlock; 05-15-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

slow
    Our schedule two weeks ago looked like this:

Evening 1:
    Top of The World on the way into town - 2 hours - Not super techy

Day 2:
    24 Hours of Moab Loop / Behind the Rocks - 2 hours
    Sovereign - 2 hours
    Amasa Back - 2 hours

Day 3:
    Sand Flats to LaSal Mtn Loop to UPS to LPS to Porc to town - 6 hours

You could finish your last day with an hour or so on Slickrock

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    This would be my itinerary for that sort of schedule.

Friday Afternoon - Sovereign - avoid the weekend crowds.

Saturday - Gold Bar Blue Dot across to Portal (or Poison Spider) - either do this as an out and back by starting at the junction of Gemini and Gold Bar, or as a shuttle and ride up Gemini if you have two vehicles or as a nice big loop and start at the junction of Potash and the highway and ride up Gemini. If you have the time and energy fit in a ride like Baby Steps in the afternoon before beers.

Sunday - Porcupine from the Kokopelli shuttle drop (this is only 2-3 hrs of riding). Amasa in the afternoon.

Monday - quick play on whatever parts of Slick Rock that you like (start with the practise loop and play til time runs out).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Well, the first two posters have certainly listed great rides

But since we don't really know if you're a mega-mile rider even here in Colorado I'm going to suggest some trails that will introduce you to Moab but not wear you out your first time:

First Day Sovereign just play around on it, you can make it a 2-3 hour ride
    Then if you want more hit Bartlett--it's north of town like Sovereign is.

Second Day Amasa Back Just do the regular route to the Potash overlook. Take
    your time and it can last 2 1/2-3 hours. Park on Kane Creek Rd.
    Then drive up to the LPS dropoff point (where the Manti-La Sal sign is up on
    Salt Flats Rd.) and just spin around on the rim overlooking Castle Valley.
    You can ride LPS down to Porc Rim proper, or go up UPS "backwards" without the commitment
    to do all of the whole Porc shuttle thing.
    You'll pay at the entrance booth on Sand Flats Rd.which will also allow you access to the
    Slickrock trail later.

Third Day You gotta do Slickrock. Take more water than you'd ever imagine you'd
    need. And get on the trail no later than 8am, to miss the heat and the Sunday crowds.

By this time you'll have talked to many other riders and have more ideas. Remember, Moab is only 6 hours away. I go there twice a year. Whatever you don't hit this time you'll get next time. And the time after that.
    Last edited by xcguy; 05-15-2008 at 07:57 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    This would be my itinerary for that sort of schedule.

Friday Afternoon - Sovereign - avoid the weekend crowds.

Saturday - Gold Bar Blue Dot across to Portal (or Poison Spider) -

Sunday - Porcupine from the Kokopelli shuttle drop (this is only 2-3 hrs of riding). Amasa in the afternoon.

Monday - quick play on whatever parts of Slick Rock that you like (start with the practise loop and play til time runs out).
    ZZ, I couldnt have said it any better

(Except .. Skip Poison Spider, and do the Portal. That is a COOL trail)

OKOK, and maybe hit GJ or Fruita on the way in or out instead
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR

OKOK, and maybe hit GJ or Fruita on the way in or out instead
    This is an EXCELLENT idea. We hit Horsethief Bench once on the way back from Moab one time.

Big Boned
    Skip all the well-known trails and ride -- Fisher Mesa, Little Canyon Rim, Bartlett's Wash (instead of Slickrock) and Amasaback (well-known) to Jackson Trail (not so well-known...) or Onion Creek.

Fisher Mesa in particular should not be missed.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I see you live in Evergreen

FYI it's gonna be low to mid-90s in Moab while you're there. High temps+mega miles+desert dryness=typical first-timers' trip to Moab. Have fun!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    FYI it's gonna be low to mid-90s in Moab while you're there. High temps+mega miles+desert dryness=typical first-timers' trip to Moab. Have fun!
    Yeah, looking at 4+ inches of wet, heavy snow and still coming down at 10:25 am.
    warmer temps will be much appreciated, will certainly use the 100oz bladder and a waterbottle, ran out of water at Fruita two years ago, not the best.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

We've all had our "first time" to Moab

Quote Originally Posted by btadlock
    Yeah, looking at 4+ inches of wet, heavy snow and still coming down at 10:25 am.
    warmer temps will be much appreciated, will certainly use the 100oz bladder and a waterbottle, ran out of water at Fruita two years ago, not the best.
    Mine was a long time ago. I'd ridden Walker just once that spring in preparation for my trip. I thought I was in shape (I was framing houses for a living). Slickrock took me almost 3 1/2 hours, my quads were firing at random when I got back to my truck. Next ride I did was with the group I hooked up with at Slickrock, and that ride was Back of Behind. I knew I'd need a lot of water and thought three bottles would do me. The first thing I did was lose one of the bottles so it was Back of Behind, 96 degrees and everyone ran out of water and one guy was almost hallucinating. A quick trip to McStiffs solved all of that.

I'm just saying it's a stretch going from your current snow to mid-90s and planning on riding more than you would here in July. Just take it easy out there. Or not!

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    Skip all the well-known trails and ride -- Fisher Mesa, Little Canyon Rim, Bartlett's Wash (instead of Slickrock) and Amasaback (well-known) to Jackson Trail (not so well-known...) or Onion Creek.

Fisher Mesa in particular should not be missed.
    I second Fisher Mesa, that trail is just fun and not crowded. I have only done it twice but both times the trail was quite.

I also second Barlett's wash instead of slickrock.

Someone else metioned top of the world which is great and less traveled.

If you want an easy trail to get in and out if time is limited Klondike Bluffs is not bad.

mtbr member
    I also second the recommendation for Gold bar to portal. This is a great ride to shuttle, if you can. I did it from the top of Gemini Bridges, stopped at the Bridges themselves, onward to Gold Bar, and up and over then down the Portal, ending at the parking area for Poison Spider. This would probably be one of your longer rides. (Would be for me, anyway)

Bartlett Wash is also fantastic. Way less crowded than Slickrock, a little firther to get to from the middle of town, but worth it. Maybe a great place fro you go on one of your afternoons, you could go there, and dink around for hours...

Not a good idea to do either of these rides on your own, they are both pretty isolated if you bash yourself. Sounds like you've got a group going tho.

If you've never been to Moab, Porc Rim is a must, IMO.

Hope you have a good time.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBOASIS
    I second Fisher Mesa, that trail is just fun and not crowded. I have only done it twice but both times the trail was quite.

I also second Barlett's wash instead of slickrock.

Someone else metioned top of the world which is great and less traveled.

If you want an easy trail to get in and out if time is limited Klondike Bluffs is not bad.
    Yeah, Klondike was pretty cool, kids dug seeing the dino tracks! They liked it so much when there friends arrived the next day we drove up and did it again. Of course they had to one up there friends and clean everything, where do they get that from? Just don't climb the moab rim trail on a singlespeed that was a nice early morning hike! Have fun Bun make sure to stop and take pics I want to see that blaze orange jersey on all those trails. Have fun and remember no bootlegging any Dales in to Utah!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Sovereign is a great trail system (and getting better all the time) but the drive to the parking lot is a sandy washed out mess. If you haven't got 4x4, consider riding to the trail head. It's a terrible road and you can get stuck driving straight down the middle.

That said, I really like Sovereign a lot. It's a must-do for me now.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    Sovereign is a great trail system (and getting better all the time) but the drive to the parking lot is a sandy washed out mess. If you haven't got 4x4, consider riding to the trail head. It's a terrible road and you can get stuck driving straight down the middle.

That said, I really like Sovereign a lot. It's a must-do for me now.
    If you're referring to Dalton Wells road, it has been greatly improved in the past couple years -- it was totally driveable for even 2WD cars when I rode it in January. When I first rode Sovereign, that first wash was impassable unless you had a 4x4.

But you're still better off parking under the trees in the parking lot closest to 191 off Dalton Wells -- the ride from there to the trailhead is a good warm-up, especially when you hit that first climb up that ridge. That, and it's always best to park in the shade in Moab.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Paging btadlock

Did you go to Moab? Give us a report.

mtbr member
    ficsher mesa is a must.

mtbr member
    Stayed at the Archview Resort. Camping

Rode the Bar M trail, Gemini Bridges and over near 7 mile rim.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Did you go to Moab? Give us a report.
    Yes, we did.
    Stayed at Arches view in a cabin.
    Rode Sovereign right from the campground on Friday afternoon, Sat am, did some tourist stuff at Arches, then rode Slickrock, and the temp was beyond hot. I was a bit out of my element, that stuff is crazy steep in spots.
    Sunday, did Bartlett Wash in the am, then we went up into the Lasalle mtns to ride some single track thru aspens in the late afternoon, but got turned around by snow before we made it to moonlight lake and the singletrack trail head
    Monday, on the way back out on 128, we stopped and rode Pole ridge, which had a killer climb, impressive views of the Colorado from 1500 ft above and a screaming downhill on the way back.
    Great trip, no injuries or mechanicals for either of us.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

Colorado
    Goto Chili Pepper bike shop. Ask how to get to the top of the 'Chili Pepper' trail.