mtbr member
    Jan 2004

need some ideas for Breck riding first week July

I'll be staying in Breck from 6/30-7/4. Need some suggestions for local rides.

I'm from Miami so I do NOT have the lungs or legs for climbing nor do I have the skills for anything that requires a dual crown fork... That being said, I'm looking to ride early mornings for 1-2 hours because I need to join up with my wife and kids during the day for family vaca time. I can't visit CO and not ride!

I'd rather not pay to take the lift up Breck because I did that several years ago and although it was a blast, I just don't have the time and don't want to waste money on a lift ticket for 2 hours of riding.

Is there anything that I can reach locally within reason that gives me some technical riding and/or flowy singletrack? Switchbacks, moderate jumps, moderate obstacles, etc are welcome. If it helps, I think I'm staying near Peak 9 or 4 o'clock road... Perhaps there might be something leading out of my condo that brings you down to Frisco? Of course I'd like to take the shuttle back up to Breck. If I'm on the actual mtn, then perhaps a lift ticket is the way to go???

If anyone would like to join me and be an MTB guide then I'm definitely up for that. Please keep in mind that I would like to hit the trails early (approx 8 am) bc I have a family waiting for me to explore some hiking and biking trails...

Info about me just in case it matters. I'm 40 yo been biking since I was 20. Biked UT (Porch Rim, Amassa Back, Slick Rock, La Sal Mtns), OR (Deschuetes River), WA (Upper and Lower Quilcene), NC (Tsali), CO (Breck/WP/Keystone resort) so I think my skill level is in between into-adv. Sorry, I don't jump huge gaps and hucks because I don't have the balls for that crazy stuff! I wish I did... Haha Even though I won't be leading the ride, I should he able to hang on.

Oh yeah, I'm Korean so I hope you don't mind Asian company.
    Last edited by guppie; 06-26-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    08 Specialized StumpJumper
    11 Giant Reign (converted to 27.5)
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Breck isn't really the home to jumps/obstacles/tech, unless you know where the super secret downhill/freeride shuttle trails are, wink wink (hah!)

Don't bother taking the lift - waste of time. If you're looking for 1-2 hours in the morning, the east side of town and Blue River trail is your best bet. You could bike from the Peaks trail right into Frisco. See one of the many local bike shops. They'll definitely help you out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Breck isn't really the home to jumps/obstacles/tech, unless you know where the super secret downhill/freeride shuttle trails are, wink wink (hah!)

Don't bother taking the lift - waste of time. If you're looking for 1-2 hours in the morning, the east side of town and Blue River trail is your best bet. You could bike from the Peaks trail right into Frisco. See one of the many local bike shops. They'll definitely help you out.
    How about 2&1/2 hours? haha. Or I guess I could get an earlier start, say 7:30am?

Any particular bike shop you recommend?
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Peaks trail is great. Wilderness Sports in Frisco is a good shop to hit up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
    Peaks trail is great. Wilderness Sports in Frisco is a good shop to hit up.
    Thanks
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Unless you go to the resorts, you're going to have to do some climbing if you want to ride MTBs in Summit County. There are some exceptions but those are either hush hush, gnar gnar, or two way traffic trails with a fair amount of traffic not well suited to DH shuttle style riding.

There are a bunch of trails, especially the town trail system that doesn't have a lot of climbing that are good for fairly short loops. Those trails the French Gulch trail (Minnie Mine, Turks, et al) or the Flume trails, (Upper, Lower, Mikes, et al)

PS: The Peaks is a great trail, but if you go Breck to Frisco and take the bus back, it's not all downhill. I occasionally see people all decked out in DH type gear expecting some all downhill radness who are pretty disappointed that they have to do a fair amount of climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll give Peaks a try. Average ride time? (I'll tack on an extra 30 min just in case) Just so i can get an idea. What kind of temps should I expect early morning? I understand its warming up during the daytime.
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh yeah are there any easy trails near Frisco bike park area? I want to take my 7yo son there to ride around and do some easy singletrack if any nearby...
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hour and a half should be plenty of time to ride Peaks from Breck to Frisco. I would agree, take the bus back. It's warm enough in the morning for just a shirt and shorts. Peaks dumps you off nearby to the Frisco Bike Park. If you were to leave the bike park and head towards Breck on the road, there's parking on the left and a trailhead I think a half mile down the road? Pretty easy trail that rides right along the lake, stays pretty level. It then dumps you out by the campgrounds and you can continue back towards the bike park. Sorry about the lacking description, only rode it once. Don't recall the name of the trail but it's easy and fun. Anyone know what trail I'm talking about?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Frisco Peninsula has a bunch of trails that use the Nordic ski or snowshoe trails. The exception is the lakeshore trail mentioned that goes from the north west corner of the area to the old Dicky rail site on the south east corner. It then ties into the Nordic trail system.

The trails mentioned aren't all that tough from a technical point of view but there are a lot of short steep hills. The lake shore trail is very close to the edge of the lake embankment/drop off in places. None of it is that hard, but it would be intimidating for a beginner./kid.

There are some trails, short loops close to the ball fields and bike park area that would be good for a kid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys. I'll be there this weekend after we spend a day in Denver Zoo so kids can acclimate. Gonna hit Peaks on Monday morning around 7:30am so hopefully I won't get lost... Maybe I'll see someone on the trail.
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Gotta admit, Peaks was AWESOME! Got an early start around 8am and was in Frisco by 9:15am. I eeven stopped a few times to take a few pics and check out a deer/elk carcass in the open meadow. The first few miles are gradual climbing 200-300 ft but the real fun begins at the last 3 miles where you descend over 1000 ft and you can really bomb down with a big grin on your face! Definitely a fun trail by any standard. I rented a Trek Fuel EX6 at Mountain Wave for like $35/day which is a heck of a deal for a good 5" bike. I connected it with Lake Trail into Frisco which was also a good call. Next year I'm going up Boreas Pass area and hit those trails... Yes, (I'll have to shuttle up there too).

Thanks guys!
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Good to hear! For Boreas Pass I'd recommend renting something like a Trek Remedy and hit Bakers Tank. Woooo!!!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    FYI, Boreas Pass is probably the easiest dirt road in Summit County. It really doesn't require a shuttle although you'd probably want to do it fairly early to beat the auto traffic which can be annoying if its been dry and dusty.