Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,427

    Need some advice on rollers

    I have started the search for rollers and not sure what i should get? The hardcore roadies are telling me to get kreitler but i don't really want to spend that kind of money. Is buying used pair of kreitlers a decent option without being able to examine first? Tons of them for sale in milwaukee area

    I found this pair on cl and they retail for $300 and he is selling them for $235.
    NEW IN BOX CYCLEOPS ALLOY ALUMINUM ROLLER BIKE BICYCLE TRAINER

    I want to buy one fairly soon so waiting on the sidelines and getting fatter is not going to be an option

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    465
    Suck it up and get fatter like the rest of us. Just makes you faster on the slopes. Plus, it's more "fun" getting in shape come spring.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rogbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    921
    Here you go.

    Plenty of options for less than that used one.

    I've got a set of rollers you can have for $50.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crit Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    310
    I've got a set of aluminum rollers from performance and they've been great. $110 on sale 5 years back or so.

    If I was buying now I'd buy the kind that let you stand, etc. forget the brand but they have sliders that allow the rollers to move with fore aft movement.

  5. #5
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,102
    I have a set of old folding Minoura rollers I would like to give away. Not sure if the belts are still good though. I'll try to post a pic later if I make it down to the basement.

  6. #6
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,732
    oh chad- rolls are what we will be sporting on this ride brotha! and rollers are more fun with a chesty cam rollin!

    or try these:
    Name:  zig.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  8.2 KB
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  7. #7
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,543
    Advice on rollers? Yeah, my advice is: get a spin bike. It's a much better work out, you can sprint out of the saddle a lot easier, plus you can watch bike porn while you ride.

    Seriously though, if you really want rollers, I wouldn't spend a ton of money until you know you like them. I spent a lot of miles on some Kreitlers in college and the are nice, but what the money gets you is good machining and bearings. I have owned some Performance rollers too and they worked well too. They were louder, and "harder" to spin, but i didn't mind the difference since I was using them in an out of the way room in my basement.

    Personally, I would rather have a root canal than spend another hour on rollers...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks for all the advice!!! I guess i will buy a cheap one from the dreaded P and see what i think. If it sucks i will return it and go from there.

    This winter gets the finger so far. Front range snow and nothing in the mountains. Wolf Creek is calling my name and maybe fruita for new years.

    PBR, i am going to watch porn on the rollers and bust out the helmet cam, I will post it for you later.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurochien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    38
    If you get used non-aluminum rollers bring your bike along to ride on them to make sure they're not warped, because that would mean they're unusable.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,427
    First ride on them tonight. Blasting eagles of death metal made the hour ride somewhat tolerable. The first 15 minutes were pretty nerve racking, after that is was not so bad. I am guessing this will get old really quick but for now i guess it will have to do

  11. #11
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,732
    Now when you get good!


    and they share my beverage style- cheap!

    bwaaa haaa!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: KarateChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,871


    /thread

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    117
    I've got "inside ride" rollers. You can get out of saddle and sprint, watch tv, super comfortable. I can put 2 hours in if I have to. Probably 800-900W resistance if you need it for short intervals.

    Very well constructed.

  14. #14
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,498
    Every time someone rides rollers, God kills a kitten.


  15. #15
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,676
    Instead of rollers, or getting fat... might I suggest some off-season cross training.

    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  16. #16
    GL1
    GL1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    362
    I sprung for the Kreitlers a few years ago and although they are quality for sure, they were WAY too easy (especially on the road bike) without the headwind trainer (Kreitler's resistance unit.) So, After dropping a few hundred on the rollers, I then had to get the headwind trainer as well. The setup is awesome now for sure but by the time I was done I had $500 in them.

  17. #17
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,102
    If you plan on spending more than 10hrs/wk on a trainer I recommend a workstation.



    FWIW if anyone else is interested in jumping on the roller bandwagon but not ready to jump the shark for $500+

    I'll sell these.... they're a little dusty from sitting in the basement...

    $20 Minoura Magrollers



    I also have a Cyclops fluid trainer I'll sell for $20.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Instead of rollers, or getting fat... might I suggest some off-season cross training.

    Holy good lord is that funny.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rogbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    $20 Minoura Magrollers
    Way to undersell me. Though, mine have less dust. And everyone knows dusting is worth $30.

  20. #20
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,209

    rolled it last night

    Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    I sprung for the Kreitlers a few years ago and although they are quality for sure, they were WAY too easy (especially on the road bike) without the headwind trainer (Kreitler's resistance unit.) So, After dropping a few hundred on the rollers, I then had to get the headwind trainer as well. The setup is awesome now for sure but by the time I was done I had $500 in them.
    I got my Kreitlers and Headwind when I was a shoppie. They gathered dust all last winter, but of course we were riding dirt here in the Banana Belt every month of last year.

    I finally got my butter butt onto them last night after work for about 40 minutes. Felt good to get the legs going after another day at the desk. It is torture in some ways. Sometimes a fixed trainer or spin bike is nicer because you can just veg out and pedal, and stand and hammer much easier and more safely. The rollers require vigilance, balance, and smoothness. For me these days that's better--keeps me right there. MP3 player. Towel covering the stem and headset so my sweat doesn't soak into the HS bearings.

    Back in the late 90's I was trying to get a base and had a blackburn trainer that I nearly wore out. Once I rode it for 3 hours. Watched Bullitt with Steve McQueen. After I'd been grinding away sweating like a pig for two hours came the San Francisco chase scene. I nearly crashed it even with the rear dropouts locked into it when they started jumping and dropping those cars.

    Good times.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  21. #21
    Rigid in Evergreen
    Reputation: topmounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,539
    Just get a couple Shake Weights and some velcro straps.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurochien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I got my Kreitlers and Headwind when I was a shoppie. They gathered dust all last winter, but of course we were riding dirt here in the Banana Belt every month of last year.

    I finally got my butter butt onto them last night after work for about 40 minutes. Felt good to get the legs going after another day at the desk. It is torture in some ways. Sometimes a fixed trainer or spin bike is nicer because you can just veg out and pedal, and stand and hammer much easier and more safely. The rollers require vigilance, balance, and smoothness. For me these days that's better--keeps me right there. MP3 player. Towel covering the stem and headset so my sweat doesn't soak into the HS bearings.

    Back in the late 90's I was trying to get a base and had a blackburn trainer that I nearly wore out. Once I rode it for 3 hours. Watched Bullitt with Steve McQueen. After I'd been grinding away sweating like a pig for two hours came the San Francisco chase scene. I nearly crashed it even with the rear dropouts locked into it when they started jumping and dropping those cars.

    Good times.
    I also crashed while on the trainer once (drop out popped out) while leaning because I was watching a Tour video and they were descending one of the mountain stages. Amazing what the mind can do to the body...

Similar Threads

  1. Rollers and such
    By jaycastlerock in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 06:23 AM
  2. Rollers?
    By IndianaXC in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 03:25 PM
  3. SS on rollers?
    By thrasher_s in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 07:16 PM
  4. Maxxis High Rollers - Advice required.
    By sdr08 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
  5. Looking for rollers
    By diiulio in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 09:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •