mtbr member

Need some advice...(already searched)

Okay- here is the skinny. My wife and I need to move to CO so she can attend college in Boulder. We would like to live somewhat near the school (within 30 min). We don't need a real fancy neighborhood, just safe enough that if you put your bikes in the garage or house, they should be there when you get home (did I mention we have areally big dog?).

I am a Manager in the automotive business and retail and also an announcer part time for a National series. Our income combined is about $55K per year (wife is a part timer). Would prefer an older, 2 bedroom at 1100 sq. ft or so, house or condo with yard. Living near infrastructure would be good so I can bike commute to a workplace.

I have been searching homes on realtor.com and found many in my price range- but am unsure which ones are priced lower because I will be shot at etc. We live in Phoenix now, so we are used to the crime that a large city presents.

After searching, it seems many of the threads seem to end up more south of Boulder and by looking at a map, our needs would dictate more east or north of Boulder. What do you think.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

More info?

What price range are you looking at? For actual City of Boulder real estate, for under $300K you can find a house in Twin Lakes, Heatherwood or maybe Martin Acres that would probably work.

Boulder is very safe, but you do need to lock your bikes in your garage. Lots of bikes, lots of bike thieves.

Really, anywhere in Boulder has a safe bike commute to anywhere else in Boulder. Find the house you like.

If you want to get a nicer house for the money, Louisville/Lafayette/Longmont/Lyons/Broomfield are all within 30 minutes and generally safe. There are a few areas in Longmont and Lafayette that are a little dicey, but nothing like Phoenix.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I have lived around/in Boulder since '92, and I'd prefer to live about 5-10 min. west of Boulder in the foothills. In Boulder is very expensive, but also very bike-friendly. Louisville, Longmont, Lyons, Lafayette, (the "L" towns) are a lot less $. I think Golden is too far, as well as Westminster, Nederland or Ward. You'll spend a lot of money on cars and gas.

Not much crime in the above areas, but bike theft is pretty bad in Boulder.

Also, realize it costs much less to rent in Boulder than buy per month. I'm living in a $350,000 house for $1200 a month. Its a recently renovated 11-1200 sqft ranch in Martin Acres. So unless you know you'll be there a long time it makes more sense to pay $12-1400 for rent, and invest the other $1000 a month you're not spending on a mortgage (on bikes, right....)
    Last edited by davec113; 09-21-2006 at 08:48 PM.

ride
    I'll give the good word for Longmont. My wife and I lived there for a bit. It was a good place. Comfy, more small townish than Boulder, I thought. It's got some less than desirable places but has a few good bike shops, local eateries, and they're building more commuter trails all the time. There is a ballot initiative for this upcoming election that will help to finalize funding for a major commuter route from Longmont to Boulder, too. If you ride on the road at all, anywhere in the Boulder-Lyons-Longmont triangle is top notch for good riding. There are not too many trails that are within riding distance, but if you're up for a 20 minute or longer drive, the mountain biking in the foothills and mountains north of Boulder is great.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    I'll give the good word for Longmont. My wife and I lived there for a bit. It was a good place. Comfy, more small townish than Boulder, I thought. It's got some less than desirable places but has a few good bike shops, local eateries, and they're building more commuter trails all the time. There is a ballot initiative for this upcoming election that will help to finalize funding for a major commuter route from Longmont to Boulder, too. If you ride on the road at all, anywhere in the Boulder-Lyons-Longmont triangle is top notch for good riding. There are not too many trails that are within riding distance, but if you're up for a 20 minute or longer drive, the mountain biking in the foothills and mountains north of Boulder is great.
    Longmont seems like a cool town - just thought I might add that, if you're considering Longmont, you might as well consider Golden - as they are roughly equidistant from Boulder, and Golden has quite a bit of riding right there (as well as a pretty cool whitewater park in the middle of town).
    Now with more vitriol!

Members who have read this thread: 0