Tossin the salad.

Need recommendations: Camping and Mountain Biking area?

Hey Guys / Gals,

My son and I are planning a trip out in the Denver area in July to do some camping, along with some mountain biking trails in the same or close to the same areas.
    We are looking to spend at least 4-days of camping, hiking, photography and biking (trails).

Where about in the Denver / Front Range area would you highly recommend?

I want my son to memorize this trip of the mountain scenery, photography and experience when we come back to Texas. He deserves it since he busted his behind in school and preparing for Taks test. Plus I have been begg’in my wife to come back home (originally from Colo Spgs) so I want to show here some amazing pictures and time we had here.
    So any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,

Mike

A Guy Who is Going Places
    How close to the Denver area do you need to be.

Golden Gate Canyon State Park is pretty close and has miles of trails and camping.

Salida is about 3 hours away and has tons of great riding and lots of camping options.

Steamboat is about 2.5 hours north, has great riding, and gives the option of visiting Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park on the way there and/or back.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Head up to Summit County, camp near Dillon lake or along the Blue River. There are maintained pay campsite around. Plenty of Mtn biking, hiking (14ers), frisbee golf courses, go carts at copper, alpine slides at Breck, and tons of outdoor recreation. Less then 1.5 hours from Denver.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Camping in Denver? Head west.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

skillz to pay billz
    camp dick, ride sourdough/SSV/Hall/Heil/Estes area

Tossin the salad.
    WoW! Thank you for all the suggestions. I don't have to be too-close into Denver. I'm willing to be as far as 2 hrs away.

I just need some time and check out the Denver area. So that I can scope out some homes/properties and get city information.

Thanks

The Dog.

Buff creek

You can camp at campsites along FR550 for free in Buffalo Creek. Only 1hr15min from Denver. Amazing singletrack riding and beautiful views. At least worth a stop.

Visit Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol for more info.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Second the Salida suggestion.

Also - Summit Co/Vail area (Gore Range) for photography. Those mountains are spectacular.

now in superlight!
    Salida-Poncha springs- chalk creek for camping and getting to monarch crest, then head north about 30 minutes or so and ride kenosha-breck!
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyguy
    Salida-Poncha springs- chalk creek for camping and getting to monarch crest, then head north about 30 minutes or so and ride kenosha-breck!
    Uhh... it's more than 30 minutes.

Tossin the salad.
    Thanks all. It looks like
    Golden Gate Canyon State Park and Steamboat are good choices. I know the air is going to be much thinner so I will have to ride a lot lighter then I would down South.
    I don't need a panic attack on my 1st day riding

Thanks again all.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    Thanks all. It looks like
    Golden Gate Canyon State Park and Steamboat are good choices. I know the air is going to be much thinner so I will have to ride a lot lighter then I would down South.
    I don't need a panic attack on my 1st day riding

Thanks again all.
    Be advised - GG is likely to be really bloody crowded if you're there on a weekend.

mtbr member
    Buffalo Creek is great riding...from there, you can bounce out to Kenosha Pass or Breck for more amazing riding and views!! The extra hr to get out of the Front Range will be well worth it to avoid the crowds and get better views.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Guys / Gals,

My son and I are planning a trip out in the Denver area in July to do some camping, along with some mountain biking trails in the same or close to the same areas.
    We are looking to spend at least 4-days of camping, hiking, photography and biking (trails).

Where about in the Denver / Front Range area would you highly recommend?

I want my son to memorize this trip of the mountain scenery, photography and experience when we come back to Texas. He deserves it since he busted his behind in school and preparing for Taks test. Plus I have been begg’in my wife to come back home (originally from Colo Spgs) so I want to show here some amazing pictures and time we had here.
    So any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,

Mike
    Apparently Colorado is a good state for camping and mountain biking, who'd a thunk it? In case there is any shortage of suggestions, there's a lot of stuff in the Fraser/Winter Park/Sol Vista region.

Tossin the salad.
    All, sorry for the bump, but I need to ask.

Is STEAMBOAT LAKE, CO got good camping (tent) sites and bike trails?

Thanks

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    All, sorry for the bump, but I need to ask.

Is STEAMBOAT LAKE, CO got good camping (tent) sites and bike trails?

Thanks
    For tenting go a bit further to Pearl Lake. Just up the street from Steamboat Lake.

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    For tenting go a bit further to Pearl Lake. Just up the street from Steamboat Lake.
    Thanks,

So here's what I have on my agenda:
    (5 -days total)

3 of the days my son and I will be in Denver. We're probably going to stay in a hotel off of 58th street / I25 area. Good safe area?

We're planning to ride at some of the public parks in the city:

On day 1 and 2 :
    Hit up: CHERRY CREEK TRAIL, COMMONS PARK, CHEESMAN PARK, SLOANS LAKE, WASHINGTON PARK, CITY PARK

Day 3 agenda:
    Ride out to Red Rocks, ride Matthews Winter Park and then check out Mount Evans. if I have time, find Lookout Mountain (take $hit load of pictures)

Day 4 & 5 : CAMP............... So you say Pearl Lake for my last two days?

Also, please let me know if any of these parks I should blow off or maybe bikes are not allowed. Thank you for any heads-up.
    I hope I can do all the things I mentioned above in the 5-days we'll be in CO.

Thanks everyone.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I would heartily recommend NOT riding in the city parks. Unless you like riding bike paths. Go ride Green Mountain or Bear Creek Lake Park if you want some easy singletrack.

Unless you want to hang out in the city...