Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    friend of Apex

No good Need a new bike shop

Sorry for the long rant....
    I generally stay away from the bike shops in summer if I can. But this year I have put lots of tuff miles on my mtn bike and my crosstown. SO, after damaging both bikes, I took them to Bicycle Village in Westy. I got a lecture about how I dont keep up on my crosstown bike maintainence, and BLAH BLAH from a mechanic I had never seen ther before. (Its my crosstown, I dont care all that much- just fix it) And fix it they could not, for 7 - 10 days. Same day my arse!
    I then inquired about new rims for the mtn bike, which is in great shape otherwise. The ***** workin there told me my riding style was to blame for my bikes intermittent issues (and now bent rims). This was the same guy my wife passed on the trail last month, then hung out in the middle of a trail screwin up our downhill - just a Royal ***** in general. - Anyway, Kinna hard to keep rims straight when the sidewall of the cheap tires they sold me split open. (3 times in one day, I was stuck 15 miles from anywhere, but duct tape took me home.....on bent rims). - They did give me new tires (Specialized Enduro)..... Anybody want them? - After that waste of time I grabbed my crosstown and headed accross the street to Performance - they had my bike goin in an hour, and no drawn out lecture.
    So the next step, need new rims. Which I found on their website, and in their store. I called them up, said I was on my way if they could swap out my cassette/discs - I would come tonight. Sure no problem, they said... called them once more while en route (25 min drive) to confirm the mechanic can do this for me before they close. Again- 'no problem' they said. Great, I was in the midst of four - 12 hour shifts and had no other time to do this before the next ride.
    Of course, I get there and the mechanic wanted to go home and refused to service my wheels - no wheels for me, and I dont think I'll be back. I was dumbfounded. How could these guys piss my time away?
    Can anybody tell me a good bike shop in N Metro area that can take care of their customers? I'm not a very good home mechanic, so just get my bike goin when I bring it in, and dont BS me. And please dont insult my riding, I'll whip most riders on most trails with my Schwin.
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 09-01-2007 at 03:46 PM.

I like to ride my bike
    Apr 2007
    The level of incompetence is growing these days in every aspect of customer service. I've had the same problems at every bike shop/car mechanic/ski shop/etc.etc I've been to in the last few years.

I feel your pain but can offer no solution, only consolation.

Shread Ready
    I really like Full Cycle in Boulder! That's where I bought my Kona FS and they treat people very good. Knowledgeable staff that won't tell you how not to ride your bike. Will fix you up how you wish and are quite reasonable. They have two shops and both are cool.

i can't type the letter s
    Evergreen Bicycle Outfitters, Bergen Rd in Evergreen

mtbr member
    Wheat Ridge Cycles- they've serviced a creaky bottom bracket and my front fork this season, as well as taking care of a few other minor issues. They asked me what needed done, did not try to talk me into anything I did not need, did the work right, actually had it the bike ready a day earlier than promised, and on one occasion the estimate was higher than the actual price I paid for the work. I took my formerly wheezy fork down Mt Falcon today on it's test ride and it feels like it is brand new.

I have always had good experiences there from their service dept, though I never buy clothes or accessories off their sales floor- even their sales prices are too high. But they sold me a sweet road bike last fall, and did a fitting before I took it home.

I will buy accessories or clothes from Bicycle Village, cause they have good sales and sometimes stuff is really cheap. But I would never take my bike for service there... and not to Performance either!
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    I think the 'same day service' is a marketing gimmick. What they mean is 'make an appointment and we'll get it back to you the same day as your appointment'. Which doesn't do you a whole hell of a lot of good for 90% of the reasons you need a bike shop.

But the wait time to get a shop service department is the #1 reason why I've turned into a DIYer for most of my wrenching needs. They could care less when you ride again. I on the other hand am ready to stick a fork in my eye if I miss an opportunity to ride.

When you need an experianced hand, give Mobile Cyclery a call. Randy will come to your door and either do the work on the spot, or return it within 24 hours. http://www.mobilecyclery.com/

mtbr member
    Whatever you do don't go to derby bicycle center the owner is a @ss big time he think he crap don't smell. Ask around and i bet you will hear the same things.I know other people share my opinion.The owner thinks Giant is the best bikes made and all others are crap Sorry to burst his bubble but he is sooooooo wrong.

http://www.derbybicyclecenter.com/index.htm

VooDoo user.
    Sports garage, Boulder.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Sports garage, Boulder.
    second that, and vecchios, although they are a roadies place they are still very helpful and know their stuff.

friend of Apex
    Whatever you do don't go to derby bicycle center the owner is a @ss big time
    Yeah, the owner of Derby is a total arse. Bought my boys BMX there, and detected major attitude from him when talkin mtn biking. Dont know how these guys stay in business. It's not like I'm askin for much; just service.
    The level of incompetence is growing these days in every aspect of customer service. I've had the same problems at every bike shop/car mechanic/ski shop/etc.etc I've been to in the last few years.
    Agreed, service stinks in most places nowadays, ski shops area another one of those where I sense some elitist attitude. I work at the shop; hence I am a superstar...LOL

I guess I am down to drivin a long ways for real service without the attitude. I didn't know this 'till now, but this website rates bike shops.
    Gonna go to MOJO in D-town/Lakewood this week for some wheelz, back to Absolute bikes in Salida next time I roll up that way, and some of the other shops mentioned here.
    Thanks....Lesson learned
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

I heart the drops
    if you want a shop that doesnt know what they are doing go to derby

if you want a custom shop with high end equipment and personal detail go to redstone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    if you want a shop that doesnt know what they are doing go to derby

if you want a custom shop with high end equipment and personal detail go to redstone
    I'll second that. Not too far of a drive to Lyons for you and Dave will treat you right!!

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    back to Absolute bikes in Salida next time I roll up that way, and some of the other shops mentioned here.
    Thanks....Lesson learned
    Call me before you hit BV so I know you are coming! Scoty
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

..ouch
    I'd really advise anyone that rides seriously to buy a Barnett's Manual and a set of Park tools and learn your own bike mechanics. I can't tell you how many days of riding (and $$) I've been able to save by being able to fix it myself and hit the trail vs trekking to the shop and waiting. Especially when riding out of town, when you really don't want to lose a day. I started when I got sick of shops never being able to setup the rear derailluer quite right and decided it was time to do it myself.

That being said, if I was taking mine in, the only local shop I would trust is The Fix in Boulder. These guys ride seriously themselves and build bikes for a lot of folks that "go big" enough to hand their bikes massive abuse . The place is attitude free and Alex, the owner, is there himself most days. Take the "shop tour" on their website to get a feel.

Really I am that slow
    www.slavagetti.com

The owner is a good buddy of mine as well...

Not super stocked on the downhill Dj side of stuff but they well help yah out with whatever and order ect...

And if your looking for ss/fixie stuff they usealy have most of that stuff in stock

Another shop I love is Alpha Cycles.... If you down in the southeast side of town...
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    I'd really advise anyone that rides seriously to buy a Barnett's Manual and a set of Park tools and learn your own bike mechanics. I can't tell you how many days of riding (and $$) I've been able to save by being able to fix it myself and hit the trail vs trekking to the shop and waiting. Especially when riding out of town, when you really don't want to lose a day. I started when I got sick of shops never being able to setup the rear derailluer quite right and decided it was time to do it myself.

That being said, if I was taking mine in, the only local shop I would trust is The Fix in Boulder. These guys ride seriously themselves and build bikes for a lot of folks that "go big" enough to hand their bikes massive abuse . The place is attitude free and Alex, the owner, is there himself most days. Take the "shop tour" on their website to get a feel.
    Be careful about using shops like the Fix, it makes you do strange things.

I have come to like The Fix so much I have changed my purchasing habits. I used to by "commodity" items (things you can get at every store and that don't require any sort of knowledge on the part of the sales guy) from either online if I was getting enough to cover the shipping or from somewhere like Performance or Tricycle Village.

Just yesterday I went down to Performance to get riding gels for the fall/winter while they were on "discount" and figured I could get a set of ODI ruffians for Ambers Downhill bike that I am building up. By the time I had stood in line for a few minutes guilt overcame me and I put the ODI's down and will get them from Alex tuesday when the rest of the stuff for her bike arrives.

I have also been contemplating my M1 frame with a new frame and am torn because the new Santa Cruz V-10 seems really nice but The Fix doesn't sell santa cruz.

Really good stores make you feel guilty - you know they are doing something right if it changes your shopping habits.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Shops

I do almost all of the maintenance and reapairs on my bikes myself. This is the only way to go. There are sooo many Idiot shops in this area.

I will go to only 3:

Mojo's
    The Fix
    The Golden bike shop - if I need something simple like a tube, it is the closest shop to my house. The worst bike shop I have ever encountered in the world is Big Ring cycles in Golden. I don't even know how they can stay in business.

Living the High Life
    The downtown REI has tons of guys working on bikes there. REI makes them all take courses and what not, so its not just some guy who says he can work on bikes and gets a job as a wrench.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am a fan of Green Mountian Sports over in Lakewood myself. Keeping more north for you, check out Arvada Cycles on around 58th and Wads. The times I have been in there, the guys have been really cool and seem to know what they are doing.

mtbr member
    This is a link from our local trial community about shops in boulder. It may help a little.
    http://observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=30103

**Disregard someones drunkin post's.**

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

another redstone rec

dave at redstone in lyons. the best - and genuinely cares.

Trail Sanitizer
    I'll throw in my own Bicycle Village rant. I had my road frame crack on me a few weeks ago. I bought a new frame and just wanted to swap the parts. I bought a new stem and handlebar as part of the new build, put on as many parts as I could and then took it to BV for "same day" service. As luck would have it, I needed a new bottom bracket, front derailleur and seatpost. I also needed a different nut for the front brake. I called them ahead of time to see if they had these things and I got the "oh, sure. Bring it on by. We'll get ya goin'" bs. They had none of the parts in stock. I did score a good deal on a new carbon crank with external bb so that solved one problem. I had to then order the seatpost and fd and still didn't have a nut for the front brake.

A week later I have the rest of the parts needed to finish the bike. However, my seatpost clamp wasn't in the bag of parts that I had gotten when I picked it up the first time. So, being the idiot that I am, I take it back to them and tell them that they never returned my seatpost clamp. "No problem. We'll find it." Riiiiight. They couldn't find it. So, I gave them a name and number to call for a different shop that is a dealer for the brand of bike I have. The service manager tells me he will call them and take care of it at their expense. I should receive a call from the store manager on Monday...no call on Monday. Message not returned on Tuesday. I call again on Wednesday. There's a note that says they're waiting on the other shop to call back. WTF? So I call the other shop and five minutes later they are able to help me. Needless to say, I went and picked up my bike never to have it return to BV.

Things not to do when you work at a bike shop:

If a customer calls ahead of time, take the time to ask some questions to be sure you can help rather than just assuming it's going to be the same ole, same ole. You're doing both of yourselves a favor.

If you lose a very specific part to a little known brand of bike, don't just let it sit there for days doing nothing about it.

If you say you're going to call a customer back on a certain day, don't lie.

If you're going to charge a customer a lot of money for next day shipping on a seatpost clamp, don't tell them it will be here the next day if you're not sure. (this is another rant for another day on another shop)

mtbr member
    My garage has the best mechanic that I know. He drinks the same beer as me and he's always there.

During the 10 days that they had your bike you could have tinkered around with it and learned more than 99% of the "bike mechaincs" in the state.

For wheels - Dave at Brave New Wheel in Fort Collins is a great wheel guy - but he wont let you in the shop because he's super sensitive to chemicals.

http://www.bravenewwheel.com/

hehe ...you said "member"
    Agreed on WR Cyclery. I've had nothing but top-notch service there. I've dealt with a number of their service staff and have always been treated with a friendly, casual manner. No egos or lectures, just a group of people who enjoy cycling as much as I do.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Agreed on WR Cyclery. I've had nothing but top-notch service there. I've dealt with a number of their service staff and have always been treated with a friendly, casual manner. No egos or lectures, just a group of people who enjoy cycling as much as I do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast