Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help recovering from a back sprain.....

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  naturegurl 
#1 ·
Ok everybody, I was a moron and sprained and strained my back on the 5th of Feb. The doc says its 90 days from time of injury to fully recover. :( However I am going crazy right now and wondering what tips I can get to help expidite the recovery process. Here is what I am doing currently - Swimming 4-5 days a week one hour at a time, stretching 2x a day along with some EASYstregth building that the doc told me to do. Is there any thing more I could be doing? Oh yeah, I am getting my trainer back from my friend and will start riding that this week. Also, I was given the go ahead to start commuting to and from work only this coming week, but with the snow, I don't think I will.... don't want to chance falling and re-injuring myself... So with all that said.... anyone?:madman:

thanks in advance for any and all tips!!! :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Wow...a "sprain"? Really? Are you using that word in the medical sense, or just the "hey, I hurt my back" sense? So...I have suffered major back issues but just to clarify, that means you stretched or tore a ligament? Curious as to what sort of "doc" you saw that would diagnose to that level and precision of the 90-day recovery time, and how it happened. I saw orthopods who wanted to pump me full of pills, and my chiro is the only one who ever helped me, but he is unusual and south side of denver metro so referral not practical if you are in the Fort of Collins.

Back injuries are unique, so Internet advice is dangerous. For example, my approach would be to use lots of ice (large therapeutic cold pad 20 min at a time thru a t-shirt thickness, then remove, 3-4 times a day), start riding my singlespeed as soon as I could handle it, and drink several Old Chubs at every opportunity. For medicinal purposes, of course. Really.

Other than that, choose your doctor carefully, and sounds to me like you are doing a lot so watch the activity level. For crying out loud, it is February. Really good time to focus on core strength (so bridging exercises and the like), although riding in the snow is pretty fun too. When you don't have dirt. But don't fall. Time heals all, but a little activity in moderation is good.

#3 ·
I agree that sounds like a lot of activity... Be careful with the swimming. Swimming requires a lot of core stability to hold your position in the water. When you have a back injury, your body trying to stay straight in the water may aggravate your pain. I'm not saying don't swim, but just consider the demands you are placing on your injured back.

Have you seen a physical therapist? A PT should be able to help you pick out what core strengthening exercises are appropriate for you, and make sure you do them correctly- to ensure you don't injure yourself further.

There is a PT in Loveland who was a professional mountain biker. He might be a good place to start. http://diamondpeakpt.com/

Marcia

#4 ·
I'm also feeling like your are pushing the activity envelope a bit much. Did you "pull" a muscle? Is your back sprained because the spine has several vertebrae out of place pulling the muscles out of place? There is so much here....

I'm a firm believer not only in chiropractic care, but in acupuncture and sports massage. Not so much the ice (but that's me). Your muscles need some tender loving care and time to heal... :thumbsup:

#8 ·
IndecentExposure said:
Vicodin, Bike Videos and beer usually can get you through the 90 day period. Looks like you're doing all you can, but to pass time, eat right, drink good beer, play some xbox, and get ready for spring!
Love it, IE ... or is it "Dr. Feelgood"?

Minus the vicodin, you've just described my lifestyle - I have no idea what this "90 day period" is of which you speak ...:D

#10 ·
Thanks everyone!!! I guess I am doing all I can, now if I could just sit back relax, drink my beers and watch dowhill videos and not drive my husband tooo crazy..... I should hang in there 'till may... and just need to keep reminding myself that if I want to play at all this year, I really need to let my poor muscles heal.And yes, I really did stretch or tear my ligament... I am under the care of a chiropractor and a massage therapist.... Don't really like traditional western medicine... bad experience... But on the bright side the roads are clearing up and I should be able to get back on my surly to start commuting to work :) sometime this week.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.