mtbr member
    May 2012

Need Help Planning Trip To Colorado In May

I plan on spending May 12th-24th riding trails in Colorado. I will be driving from Michigan, traveling in on 76 into Denver. I was told many trails will be snow covered still in early May. I was given the advice to head straight for Fruita, then Moab UT, then Durango CO to avoid snow covered trails.

Will trails still be snow covered in May?

What would be your ideal trip if you had 2 weeks to spend between Colorado and Moab, UT?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Lastly, I will add that I am a bit of a planning fanatic, master excel spreadsheet, gps route, etc. I believe the rest of my trip should work out well, just looking for advice in CO/UT because of snow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The high country (mountain) trails will almost certainly still be covered in snow at that time. My recommendation would be:

- Spend a couple days riding around Denver/Boulder. Hall Ranch, Mt. Falcon/ Lair of the Bear, Centennial Cone, and the Buffalo Creek area are all trails worth spending time on.
    - Spend a day or two riding in the Eagle area.
    - Spend the rest of the time in Fruita/Grand Junction and Moab. I would probably do 3-4 days in Fruita/GJ, 3-4 days in Moab, then the rest leave open to where you want to ride again.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Great! Thanks for the confirmation and trail suggestions. I will do some research on your suggestions in the Denver and add a few days there before heading to Fruita/Grand Junction

mtbr member
    Good resource here;
    Mountain Bike Trails near Denver, Colorado

Also might be worth looking into Curt Gowdy state park on the drive in. It's near Cheyenne, has camping and at least a days worth of great trails on site.
    Wyoming State Parks, Historic Sites & Trails - Curt Gowdy State Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    64 will be repealed by May, head straight to Utah.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    64 will be repealed by May, head straight to Utah.
    I am afraid I don't understand your comment. Care to elaborate a bit more?

Thanks for all the great input everyone!

mtbr member
    Ammendment 64 legalized pot.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The high country (mountain) trails will almost certainly still be covered in snow at that time. My recommendation would be:

- Spend a couple days riding around Denver/Boulder. Hall Ranch, Mt. Falcon/ Lair of the Bear, Centennial Cone, and the Buffalo Creek area are all trails worth spending time on.
    - Spend a day or two riding in the Eagle area.
    - Spend the rest of the time in Fruita/Grand Junction and Moab. I would probably do 3-4 days in Fruita/GJ, 3-4 days in Moab, then the rest leave open to where you want to ride again.
    spot on advice.. have fun...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Just a thought, go a little more on i80. Ride Curt Gowdy in WY, drop down to front range and ride Buffalo Creek.Then head West. If you do not want to drive straight to Front Range without a ride, drop down to Switchgrass/Wilson Lake on i70. A little out of the way, but a great ride with a little bit of elev. Hope this helps Greg.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yep, agreed with the posters who suggested Curt Gowdy. Since it's not really out of the way, it's a super fun area to play around in for a few hours before coming down to the Denver/Boulder area. It's about 1.5 hours north of here, virtually straight up I-25.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks everyone! I have added a day at Curt Gowdy, Hall Ranch, and Buffalo Creek, before heading to Grand Junction/Fruita for 4 days, Moab for 4 days, then Durango for 2. After that I am headed to Arizona and off with the rest of my trip.

Thank you again to everyone for the great advice.

mtbr member
    There is a race at Curt Gowdy May17.

Home | Gowdy Grinder

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Agree with shawnee 1 but just keep driving south down 25 and skip fruita,moab,grand junction and hit some trails in CO springs then Pueblo, salida ,taos and santa fe then head to Arizona. Instead of driving 5 hours all these are within 2hours of each other.