Do it for FUN!
    Feb 2010

Need Fruita Camping advice

Got a trip planned for the weekend to Fruita. I'm planning on arriving late Friday night. What is the deal with the camping? Where can I find a spot?

mtbr member
    A simple search yields many posts on the topic.

Here's one that may help: Fruita Camping Anarchy

Scroll down to Lactics 2nd post.

Custom User Title
    Get there early and grab a spot. then ride.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by easymzm
    Got a trip planned for the weekend to Fruita. I'm planning on arriving late Friday night. What is the deal with the camping? Where can I find a spot?
    If you want to make it really easy, we booked an extra spot at the Colorado River State Park that we probably don't need. Good for Friday and Saturday night. I'd be happy to pass it on to you if you cover the nightly fee ($40)

call 719.233.5936

mtbr member
    We really like the primitive camping in the Rabbit Valley area, but the best spots were gone by Friday evening. We got there Thursday so we had the best site : )

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I think you are out of luck if you hope to find a free spot.. its just way too busy this time of year.. all the mountain people run for the dessert during mud season. I have found that even showing up Thursday night it is still a challenge. I would try to reserve a spot if I were you..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

^^worst ninja.....ever.
    There is free camping in the north Fruita desert area...which is right off of 18 Road...Google maps will get you there...but yes, you need to get there EARLY! Really, in my opinion (after living there for nearly 10 years) it's one of the best areas, and you literally can ride right out of your campsite. And Kokepelli is only about 15 minutes away.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Friday night will be WAY too late. Rabbit Valley is your best bet, IMO.

mtbr member
    You can usually always find camping spots in the National Monument. It's cold up there though, and they don't allow fires, so it makes for early bedtimes, plus it's not very close to anything except the lunch loops.

starladear
    Feb 2004
    Essentially, fruita is pro outdoors except when it comes to camping? There's always those fine hotels clustered around Dennys and Mcdonalds... Another hour and you can be riding the goods in Moab and camping

Coloradian
    Jun 2006
    There is plenty of camping except when the place is inundated with tourists during a festival or something. That's when we go to Moab, so please stop telling people they can get there from Fruita in an hour. The only way you can do that is to be a menace on the highway, and we already have too many of those.
    29ers are just a fad, like disc brakes, suspension, indexed shifting and mountain bikes.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Zimmermann
    There is plenty of camping except when the place is inundated with tourists during a festival or something. That's when we go to Moab, so please stop telling people they can get there from Fruita in an hour. The only way you can do that is to be a menace on the highway, and we already have too many of those.
    Let 'em try to make it in an hour. The Utah State Patrol appreciates the donation.