mtbr member

nederland cell coverage

wondering what is the "better carrier" for cell coverage in and around nederland. i recently moved from the east coast where my trusted 2 year old razer powered by verizon had some excellent coverage. here driving in and around nederland, sourdough or even around betasso i get no reception (none in fact all the way down to boulder). I'm not looking for perfect coverage since we are afterall in a mountain/canyon environment but what is the point of taking a cell phone for emergeny while riding if i get no reception. is att any better?
    thanks

Outcast
    AT&T/cingular. This Ned resident, and many others feel it has the best reception in the area.

..ouch
    I live around Ned and AT&T/Cingular is the closest you'll come to coverage for the peak-to-peak hwy area, but you will not get signal in most of Ned itself, no carrier does.

I believe another cell tower has recently been proposed for Ned again but I'm not holding my breath that anything will happen soon. My understanding is the politics are pretty thick.

Outcast
    Funny; I actually get good reception at west magnolia, and on magnolia in spots but, yea, downtown ned itself is a black hole for cell phones

skillz to pay billz
    Never understood the lack of coverage in ned proper. That said at&t was the only one that had coverage at my house(off magnolia/lazy z)

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Funny; I actually get good reception at west magnolia, and on magnolia in spots but, yea, downtown ned itself is a black hole for cell phones
    I think the closest tower is somewhere to the south. I can get coverage at magnolia, and even on a few of the upper northern parts of Ned, but nothing below the southern ridgeline. At my house I can only get coverage if I go up and stand on the 2nd story roof.. I've contemplated getting one of those home repeater kits, but in the end it's just not that important to me. I just set the cell to forward to my home office phone when I'm not in service.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    Never understood the lack of coverage in ned proper. That said at&t was the only one that had coverage at my house(off magnolia/lazy z)
    Me either, Not a single bar for Verizon.

But funny enough, we were flying test flights at 11,500 ft on the front range and verizon was the only service we got among us with phones having AT&T Verizon, Alltel, and T-Mobile.

mtbr member
    thank you all. it sounds like a switch to att is what i need (and what a perfect excuse to be able to get an iphone :-). what about other riding/bc skiing areas in colorado? verizon worked fine when i needed to call the shuttle guy at the end of hermosa but i've not needed to use my cell elsewhere and i wonder whether any one provider works better out there. thanks again

mtbr member
    "But funny enough, we were flying test flights at 11,500 ft on the front range and verizon was the only service we got among us with phones having AT&T Verizon, Alltel, and T-Mobile."

then i guess, we need to start carrying one of each :-)

skillz to pay billz
    we don't have landlines either, and won't unless qwest runs dsl up the hill

Who said Punisher?
    I spend most of my time in the back country and up in the moutains skiing or biking. If you want the best coverage in Colorado for that purpose, then go with Verizon. Just about every small town up high has great Verizon coverage and even a retail store there if you need something. You will just about never get coverage in any canyon here--wireless phones are line of site--big mountain in the way or canyon wall--no dice. Ned is dipped way down, that is why nobody gets it, but higher up on the hill you are hitting towers down near Golden Gate where coverage is a little better.

The only place you will not have coverage is Nederland, but you can still pull E911 calls over analog. So, make sure you also get a phone that is not just digital (one that is tri mode)--it helps immensely here in the mountains. There are still pay phones in Ned...

On the iphone...someone already cracked it anyway so you can use on jsut about carrier now--maybe not full featured yet but stay tuned.

And on ATT--with the new mergers--over the next year this may greatly improve statewide.

mtbr member
    thanks for your answer. i have been wondering whether by two year old phone is an issue as well. i see that Verizon will no longer provide analog service after Feb. 18, 2008, so not sure whether a phone analog capability or lack thereof will be a factor after that. i saw that some kid unlocked the iphone and is running it with team mobile i think but given that one can't get coverage on that service in most big cities, I'm not sure that's a positive :-)
    carol

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I live in Eldora and I would agree with all the other posts, except that I use T-Mobile. I get about the same coverage. I also get service at the ski hill and up Caribou a bit. I talked with t-mobile about a new service they are coming out with in a few months, your cell phone will work anywhere you get a wireless internet connection, which I do have at my house. Or, in Ned anywhere there is wireless, like the train cars. Not much help out on the trails, but it will make it easier at home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VAhardtail
    On the iphone...someone already cracked it anyway so you can use on jsut about carrier now--maybe not full featured yet but stay tuned.
    I'd like to know how you can use a cracked GSM phone on a CDMA carrier...

Who said Punisher?
    You can't unless it supports both--which seems to be coming down the pipe. Just more of a joke related the earlier posts about getting an iphone! Ipod does not yet, but you never know that could change and since someone already got it working with Tmobile (another GSM), you never know what the future holds.

If you get a Blackberry with a SIM in it, you can do this on both neworks (see the new blackberry world which supports GSM and CDMA--has one flaw, does not support the domestic GSM networks yet--but all others outside the US--go figure!)

The bummer is, no good tower location near Ned--maybe some day though.

For all interested: If you need tech data see www.phonescoop.com for some more info.

Now, go ride your bike!

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by VAhardtail

Now, go ride your bike!
    I'm waiting for the rain to stop then I'm off.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=VAhardtail]You can't unless it supports both--which seems to be coming down the pipe. Just more of a joke related the earlier posts about getting an iphone! /QUOTE]

Currently its GSM only, so the earlier comment that it can be cracked for just about any carrier is false until a CDMA iPhone is released. I used to work for Cingular, so I thought that comment was pretty funny.

mtbr member
    here is one of the stories about iphone working on tmobile

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/246694.html