mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Natues little spikes strips....and Eldorado

So it's Friday night all ready for a ride in Nederland on Saturday. Goto the Trek store to hire a nice shiny Fuel ex8. Get it back and decide to fiddle around with the saddle etc in the carpark. Ride back towards the apartment and hear an odd clicking sound. Look down at the tires to see white things all over them, meh just gravel I guess.

Now at the door hmmm gravel seems rather sticky. On closer inspection gravel is not only sticky but laden with tiny thorns. An hour passes with a pump hoping the tires will seal themselves(tubeless) but no luck. Had to change our plans for Saturday so we could take it to the bike shop when it opened. Luckily the nice chaps fixed it quickly with no charge . Apparantly they're called goat head thorns? It's like a weed that covers the ground. Nasty little things.

So instead of Nederland we rode down to Eldorado canyon and tried the Rattlesnake trail. Ended up pushing a fair bit of it but it was worth the ride down and the fantastic view. A new experience riding on a narrow trail with such a consuming drop on one side! So turned out a good day afterall.

So a little story with a moral, just leave it alone until the morning!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ahh goat heads... great reason to always stay on the trail and/or ride 2 ply tires!

mtbr member
    "Goat Heads" aka "Puncturevine"

You haven't ridden very long out this way if you haven't flatted due to a Goat Head or two...or 50.

We have them like crazy on our property, the poor dogs have them in their feet a lot.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Fokkin' goatheads!!!

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Dam Them, Dam them to Heck !

Goatheads

I always mount my tubeless tires with a bit of Tubeless Slime or Stans. I can't get more than 2 rides without several of the demons getting stuck in my tire.

By the time I retire a tire its more green than black.