Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Nathrop/Chalk Creek Results - Post 'em!

So how was it? How'd you all do? How was the DS track? Anyone got any stories? I couldn't make it (obviously), but I want to live vicariously through the peeps who did....
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Results are up...

http://www.usacycling.org/results/in...rmit=2006-1455

I'm writing up a summary. Will post in a while...

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Rumor has it that jenamin stomped the expert women's XC with a gap of 5 minutes on 2nd - not too shabby at all considering it's her 2nd race in Expert. Way to kill it Jeny

edit: Nice job in the DS Grant!
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    My story:

I took my wife up to Buena Vista for a 3rd anniversary/min-honeymoon.

Found myself surrounded by like minded bikers, found out the races were in town - I was dying to head over to witness some of the action! Kept my head on straight and had an excellent and peacefull weekend with the wife - got out for a 14 mile singletrack ride with her on Saturday.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

eci
    First off thanks to Keith Darner for putting on an awesome weekend!

The racing was very very tight; there was passing going on everywhere and especially on the bottom whoop section of the 4x course.

4x course
    From the top. Had the gate to a step up table into a left hand whoop that lead into the first right turn berm. Then into a moto style table/ double. Next was a left turn berm into the six-pack. First set of doubles was a small lofty kind of gap into a smaller step up then a 3rd double set into a right turn berm. After the berm was dubzilla. It was about a 30-foot table/double that lead you into a left turn berm. This brought you into a step up table that landed you right on top and you pedaled down into the last berm. After the berm was the last straight away with 6 whoops for your riding pleasure.

Dual slalom
    After the gate dropped there was a single about 20 feet from the start, directly after that was a left turn berm, which led you into the first set of doubles. There were 2 sets of dubs packed very close to each other which made it hard for many riders to master. Next you were shot into a right turn berm then into a step down pit. After the pit was an uphill left-hander into a straight two whoop then table section. Once you made it through that section came the 180-degree turn. For the outside rider it was cake but for the inside rider you had to turn quick and hope not to go over the berm. After this was the left hand flat turn into a set of whoops. Into the final area you had a nice short pedal section three whoops and the final table to style across.

There was a ton of riders up there killing it. As you look up the hill on the far right was the original 4x course. On the right is the dual slalom course then in the middle is a table line and a big doubles line. Then on the far left is the newer “extra crispy” 4x line. This is definitely a racers paradise.

Ok now for the racing. First that comes to mind is the former pro bmxer Work manualing and pedaling from the start gate into the first berm on the ds course. It was insane looking. The double double on the dual course ate up a lot of people. As we all know our co board member Billy Patterson got broke off in it. Also on the ds course the 180 berm on the right line ate a lot of people. If you rode it too high your front tire would shoot off the top and watch out!

On the 4x course there was a ton of passing going on. Anywhere and everywhere. Off the gate a few people were pinched towards the back. In the first turn we saw many people jumping the whoops and flat turning the corner to beat out others. In the 6 pack there were a few passes and a few collisions, which made for some excitement. The best passing though was the last turn into the whoop section. Many people came charging into that section with the hope of winning, and most got bucked because they charged way too fast.

Hope this gives everyone a good look into the weekend of fun. Wish I could remember some more particulars of the actual races but there was soo much going on all the time.

mtbr member

Listen! Dual Salmon Course Description

The dual salmon course was incredible! Those who couldn't make it out definitely missed out racing on an insane track! Early on Friday's practice, most people I spoke with were a little hesitant on what they thought about the track, but as it packed in and started a blue groove, it became fast and superbly fun! Saturday morning's practice was insanely fast and tacky!

For those of you who couldn't make it, here's my description of the course:
    Snap out of the gate and throw in a couple/few pedal strokes then hook the small roller. Rail the berm turning left and finish early to prepare for the two quick, small, lippy doubles that were claiming skin and bones all weekend. Rail the high-speed right-hand berm and drop into the pit. In the blue (left) course, slam on the brakes immediately for the tight, small 90 degree left-hand berm and prepare to pedal and manual over the two rollers. In the red (right) course, check your speed with the brakes a bit, and rail the longer berm and double the rollers that the dude on your left is rolling. In both courses, pedal your @ss off over a step-up-step-down table thingy. In the red course, apply maximum braking power before diving into an extremely tight 180 degree right-hand berm (more of a tight pump-track kind of berm). In the blue course, prepare for the roller coaster of the 180 degree longer radius berm and maintain speed for the next flat section. Out of the 180 degree berms, pedalling your legs off again, a mild, flat right hand around the flag, then prepare for the hard left-hand flat corner and prepare to pedal your butt off yet once again over the two rollers, right-hand flat corner, then three rollers to the finish line to break the light sensors. Whew! Not done yet, Immediately at the finish line, there is a table-top jump. I'm told that's old-school style for some showing off after your race win! For me, it was more of a chance to attempt to stuff my lungs back in my chest!

This was definitely the most excruciatingly painful yet incredibly fun course I've ridden on! I would like to thank Keith Darner and the RPM/Yeti riders for building such a great course - they put immesurable hours into building this DS course this season, not to mention what a great job they did repairing and maintaining the "Extry Crispy" 4x course that we ran on Sunday! Eric Jean and the Bigfoot / Cycle Cyndicate guys of course put on an excellent event again as well. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see or experience any of the XC action, but I'm sure it was just as well-run and good times.

mtbr member
    The DS track was absolutely great! Darner and the RPM crew did an amazing job, particularly since they got absolutely no rain until a brief shower on Friday. The second set of doubles in the four pack up top took people out all weekend, some (unfortunately) with some big injuries. The drop into the pit worked great, and the nasty flat turns at the bottom probably decided most of the races.
    Men's ex 30+ was a war, Thumper seemed to be on a mission, even got Coop in the semi's. Milan broke a chain in qualifying, which just caused him to race even harder for the rest of the day, Watt was just too smooth, normal day.
    Very cool race! and the MX was just as good. scott

Cynical Bystander
    I broke my bottom bracket during mx practice when landing the double-to-table-double thing after the first right hand berm on the 4x track, which wasn't too cool.

Thanks to Alden and Mike/Shawn for helping me swap it all out quickly.

The racing this weekend was more of a learning experience for what I personally need to work on as far as skills, and not necessarily because I didn't have the greatest results, but because it made me aware of things I need to work on a lot.

Fun weekend.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

eci
    2 pics. First is nate railing the berm with moga right behind. Second is dave badger on the first double set
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Heehee! Todd hiding away from the sun and protecting himself from the dust on Saturday...

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    Heehee! Todd hiding away from the sun and protecting himself from the dust on Saturday...
    HAHA, i didnt even notice that i was chilin under the tree there. Tony took alot of the pics on saturday. Other then the one of you in the berm and the pic of nate, i snapped those.

mtbr member
    That shot of Nate in the corner after the pit is ssssssssssssssssick. Did you happen to get any decent shots of me? I'm jonesin' here...

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    2 pics. First is nate railing the berm with moga right behind. Second is dave badger on the first double set
    Hey Todd, do you think you could email me high resolution files of the pics that I took?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

screw road bikes
    Hey that's me on the left next to dave! sweet pic! If you have any more of me/that same heat I'd be stoked to see em'

Thanks!

Racing was good to me for the most part, was a little unlucky during the DS (qualified 5th, raced 7th) but all was made up for in the 4x (qualified 3rd, raced 2nd). I'm stoked! Good racin with all of ya!
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

Out Of Control
    Had a great time racing this weekend and hangin out with everybody. Qualified 1st in ds, ended up 2nd. Qualified 4th in mx, and ended up 2nd so overall a great weeknd!

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by theforsakencheezit
    Hey that's me on the left next to dave! sweet pic! If you have any more of me/that same heat I'd be stoked to see em'

Thanks!
    Whats your email addy?

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Hey Todd, do you think you could email me high resolution files of the pics that I took?
    nope, i can aim file transfer or burn ya a disc. too large for email

screw road bikes
    Whats your email addy?
    axlev@comcast.net

Thanks man
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doc gravity
    Men's ex 30+ was a war, Thumper seemed to be on a mission, even got Coop in the semi's.
    One thing I learned from Coop - wearing funny socks makes you fast...

Awesomist™
    Here's a few shots from the DS that my roommate took... they turned out super nice! I really like the shot of Bobby jumping those doubles, and the pic of Ross is SIIIIIIICCCCCCK! Look how he's full-on pre-jumping over that roller coming out of the berm! Also, check out some LeeLikesBikes.com for more pictures and a full write-up of the event... rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Toan

Last edited by Full Trucker; 06-12-2006 at 02:50 PM.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Stand back

can I have your autograph?

Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    One thing I learned from Coop - wearing funny socks makes you fast...
    Dark Helmet: Careful you idiot! I said across her nose, not up it!
    Laser Gunner: Sorry sir! I'm doing my best!
    Dark Helmet: Who made that man a gunner?
    Major Ashole: I did sir. He's my cousin.
    Dark Helmet: Who is he?
    Colonel Sandurz: He's an ashole sir.
    Dark Helmet: I know that! What's his name?
    Colonel Sandurz: That is his name sir. Ashole, Major Ashole!
    Dark Helmet: And his cousin?
    Colonel Sandurz: He's an ashole too sir. Gunner's mate First Class Philip Ashole!
    Dark Helmet: How many asholes do we have on this ship, anyway?

Damm, G, you never told me you were from Hollywood. So which ashole were you?
    Last edited by dbabuser; 06-12-2006 at 09:33 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Me & Chris Cawley in the final.

Troy Cooperman crashing with Zack Hughes in the small-final.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser

Damm, G, you never told me you were from Hollywood. So which ashole were you?
    Them's fightin' werds

You should declare thumb war, Grant. No question about it.

That picture of Bobby is sick - I love the way he's positioned over the bike.
    Now with more vitriol!

Stand back
    Best....Simpson's line....ever.

Wanna fight?

Them's fightin' werds!
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Awesomist™
    Me and Zach hangin' out bein' cool...

Well, at least Zach is being cool... I don't have enough sense to take that stifling full-face off...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast