MountainMafia "Boss"

My new build begins

After being away from riding for a bit, I decided to get back into it. Since Steelheads are cheap, they have a decent rep for strength, etc., and you can find one pretty easily I chose to buy a used from from a dude over @ Ridemonkey. UPS showd up @ the hacienda with the boxed up frame this past Friday. I pulled it out of the box, and it was in the exact condition the guy had described. Since it was a metallic blue, I decided to sand it down, prime it, and shoot it an ultra-flat blk. So now the paint is done... on to the next phase (forks, stem, and bars). I thought I would post some pics and show off my work... what do you think?

The last pic is of a Steelhead I found on Pinkbike, where the dude is running a DC fork. Do you guys think that's a bit overkill? I go back and forth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Live to ride... FREERIDE to live!!!!!!"

resident cynic
    The steelhead can def handle a long fork, so too each his own. Thats a great bike.

Rolling
    That is once nice ride.

Nice paint work.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    What ever you do, don't route your f. brake line like that guy.

My friend rode a steelhead with an adj travel Pike for while, he loved that bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I like the Huffy BMX bike in the back ground. Reflectors, Pegs, Lucky.....

MountainMafia "Boss"
    chinkerjuarez: you'retalking trash on a kids bike... LOL... NICE!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah I know I just noticed it, thought it needed to be brought up.

percocet pioneer.
    whats the story behind routing your brake line like that..

..ouch
    What kind or riding are you planning to be doing? If you're hitting urban or freeride then a 888 would be beautiful on there. If you're going to use it as an "all mountain" machine then maybe an RS Totem or even a Marz 66RC2.

MountainMafia "Boss"
    Sally: No idea on the brake lines. That is a pic I grabbed from pinkbike.com, and used it only for reference when asking if anyone thought a DC fork was a bit overkill on a Steelhead. The routing of the front brake line looks a bit jacked if you ask me. I dont think I would ever use that method in this build or any other build.

thump: I am going to be using the rig for mostly freeride and light DH stuff. So the 888 gets a big vote I guess? I've had some guys in a local shop recommend it also.

Anyone have any experience with the Titec El Norte stuff? I like the looks of their bars with the 1.5" rise.

..ouch
    Yeah.. The 888 is a great fork for FR/DH. I haven't owned it personally but a friend of mine had one on a Ellsworth Dare that I would steal pretty regularly and it was smooth.

If you had a 1.5 steerer tube I'd recommend the Totem, but at 1 1/8 I'd stick with the 888 or 66RC2. Btw, definitely check out the Avid Codes when it comes to brake selection. Put a pair on this year and they are soooo nice.

Also.. Hadley hubs and EX721 or 729s (prob a 729 on the rear at least).