Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Living the High Life

My Neighbors May Think I'm Crazy

So I figured with 5" of snow, it would be a good time to ride my bike to work. While I was leaving 3 of my neighbors had these confused looks on their faces. One couple even asked if I would be ok, I told them I had studded tires, they were surprised that they even made them for bikes. Then they said "Well be careful".

They're nice folks, no doubt there; but this combined with testing my suspension settings on my DH bike in the summer by jumping off or riding up the 3 stairs in front of my house may make them think I'm kinda nuts.

Oh well, they always smile and say hi!

Anyone else have a similar situation?

Which way? Uphill.
    Yep, I often get the "wow you are really dedicated to biking" comments on days like this. I usually start my commute between 4:45 am and 5 am so I usually only get the comments if I go for an evening ride, though I often think my neighbors probably come out and see my tracks in the snow and just shake their heads.

I didn't ride in today, I let the fear of slipping and sliding cars get too much of me yesterday to commit to it.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My neighbors try to hit me....

I rode in today as well, didn't think the roads were going to be as bad as they were.

Living the High Life
    Good studded tires work wonders

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yeah but then if it's dry out later do they give you problems?

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    yeah but then if it's dry out later do they give you problems?
    Not really in terms of traction; but they're much heavier and they have to be run below 30 psi. So it kinda feels like you're pedaling through mud.

I got a 2nd set of rims for my commuter and I just switch them out depending on the conditions.

Oh, So Interesting!
    My studded Nokian's sidewalls cracked really badly, so I'm SOL... studded tires are cool, but they take about twice the effort as slicks to get where you're going.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

friend of Apex
    My neighbors are totally lame. They look at me funny when I ride the grociery getter to the store to pick up a few items.... in the summertime.
    Some people just dont have passion for bikes like we do. Oh, can I say that word on this forum?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    I give you all props for riding to work in good or bad conditions. I used to do it, but no longer can - riding a bike from Boulder to DIA with luggage/monkey suit/etc. doesn't work so well.

But do be careful when the roads turn slick. I never feared for myself from my own skills, if I crash and its my fault and I don't care. But as nepbug said, sliding cars are obviously concerning. I offered a ride to a guy on Marshall Road last week when that quick tempest came in and dumped like crazy. He said he was fine, but its the dumb drivers I would worry about.

Have fun and be careful out there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I find that just riding a mtn bike with knobbies is a royal pain in the butt efficiency wise so I only do it when it's nasty out like today. Running studded tires sounds like it would add even more drag....

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    My neighbors are totally lame. They look at me funny when I ride the grociery getter to the store to pick up a few items.... in the summertime.
    Some people just dont have passion for bikes like we do. Oh, can I say that word on this forum?
    All your neighbors are probably fat too I bet. Back in Green Bay WI I walked from my parents house to a store and people looked at me like some kind of criminal. Suburbanites can be scary.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    All your neighbors are probably fat too I bet.
    YUP

Suburbanites can be scary.
    SO TRUE
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bike21
    I give you all props for riding to work in good or bad conditions. I used to do it, but no longer can - riding a bike from Boulder to DIA with luggage/monkey suit/etc. doesn't work so well.

But do be careful when the roads turn slick. I never feared for myself from my own skills, if I crash and its my fault and I don't care. But as nepbug said, sliding cars are obviously concerning. I offered a ride to a guy on Marshall Road last week when that quick tempest came in and dumped like crazy. He said he was fine, but its the dumb drivers I would worry about.

Have fun and be careful out there!
    I agree but I didn't think the roads were going to be as bad as they were this morning. I usually drive in during a snowstorm or the day after....I was just stupid today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    I agree but I didn't think the roads were going to be as bad as they were this morning. I usually drive in during a snowstorm or the day after....I was just stupid today.
    I know, I used to get caught out on occasion too. Last week for instance, nobody saw that quick storm coming. The weather service had been saying all day only 'a light dusting' Riiiight It can be a fun adventure when caught up out there!

l i v i n'
    Great Thread!

I started out on my daily commuter Yeti Arc X (Cross Bike) and dropped the tire pressure 15 lbs. I barley made it to the end of the street. Instead of going back inside to get the truck keys I went to the basement and grabbed the singlespeed off the hook aired up the tires and headed out the door once again. Great ride! 7 miles of fresh powder on side streets with no studs I had to stay off the car tracks and just push threw the fresh.
    CARS suck no body waived, honked, almost got hit by one of the school buses, and the only guy to give me any encouragement was the SNOWPLOW driver!

Commute ON
    l i v i n'

mtbr member
    Not really in terms of traction; but they're much heavier and they have to be run below 30 psi. So it kinda feels like you're pedaling through mud.

I got a 2nd set of rims for my commuter and I just switch them out depending on the conditions.
    Below 30psi? Why and which tires? I've got Nokian SW Freddie's and certainly no need for that low pressure when commuting to work. Think I have around 45psi now and it's icy all over with snow and then melting snow slush in the evening when the day's done. Cars seem to be short on grip not me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes, yesterday I went for the must get out- stress reliveing ride and was told by this ultra old dude that I need to get some "heated bloomers under those tight pants of yours"
    And all those crazy looks from all the old people walking the dogs...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by COburns
    Great Thread!almost got hit by one of the school buses
    Commute ON
    School buses and buses in general NEVER give you any extra room, even if traffic is nowhere to be seen on the other side of the road. I hate buses, can't hear them coming until they're right next to you sucking you under....

..ouch
    Anyone else have a similar situation?
    I live near Ned, so most my neighbors actually are crazy.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My commute is short (about 1.5 mi) and I am pretty much fine in the snowy and snowpacked areas, even with slicks. I have been walking up my alley (steep and shady=scary ice) most days since the beginning of December, though. Fenders and Gore-Tex pants definitely extend my comfortable commuting range. Bike commuting rocks! Beats standing around waiting for the bus when it's frigid, for sure.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    I live near Ned, so most my neighbors actually are crazy.
    So do you commute with a shotgun? Oh crap, I mentioned riding with weapons, looks like we better go shuttle Apex.

tiny rider
    By happy coincidence, AEBike's Daily Deal is for

Nokian - Freddies Revenz Lite 26x2.3

at $74 instead of $94 each. I don't know if that's a great price, but it might be worth a look.

Good work sticking with the bike. I rode through a couple Madison winters, and have had some other snowy adventures, but these days I'm mostly a lazy fool joining together with all my homies and clogging up the roads.

Living the High Life
    Tomorrow I'll drive, but I plan on riding Thursday. It would be nice if I had the energy to ride everyday, maybe I will once the snow is gone since it will seem so easy then!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    riding home from work at anywhere from 1am to 4am on my studded tire single speed, not even the cops want anything to do with me. I don't think they want to get involved. "Let'im be". Oh yeah, it's been around 0 degrees at going home time.

..ouch
    So do you commute with a shotgun? Oh crap, I mentioned riding with weapons, looks like we better go shuttle Apex.
    Just tell me when.. I've got my full-face ready.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast