Must ride colorado Trails

Printable View

• 01-20-2013
    Ariben123
    Must ride colorado Trails
    What are the top rides in Colorado, I recently moved out here and am trying to knock some things off the bucket list any suggestions?
  • 01-21-2013
    richccc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariben123 View Post
    What are the top rides in Colorado, I recently moved out here and am trying to knock some things off the bucket list any suggestions?

Where do you live
  • 01-21-2013
    The Yetti
    I'd put Buffalo creek on the list
  • 01-21-2013
    rogerfromco
    +1 for Buffalo Creek.

Also, over the last couple of decades, the trail system in Fruita/Grand Junction has really come into it's own as a top destination.

I've heard fantastic things about the trails in Crested Butte and seen stunning photos, but still never ridden there myself.
  • 01-21-2013
    SlowerThenSnot
    My top 5

Fish creek falls, near Steamboat
    phils world, near Durango
    monark crest, near Salida
    ribbon trail, near GJ
    405, near Crested Butte

those are my favs right off the top of my head, if your in the front range these are weekend trips =)
  • 01-21-2013
    smmokan
    Buffalo Creek
    Searle Pass (near Copper)
    Colorado Trail and offshoots between Keystone and Breck
    Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass
    Doctor Park (Crested Butte)
    Fruita trails- 18 road, Kokopelli trail system, Rabbit Valley
    Hall Ranch (Lyons)
  • 01-21-2013
    Grizzattack
  • 01-21-2013
    skiahh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    My top 5

Fish creek falls, near Steamboat
    phils world, near Durango
    monark crest, near Salida
    ribbon trail, near GJ
    405, near Crested Butte

those are my favs right off the top of my head, if your in the front range these are weekend trips =)

405 or 401? I always read about 401 as a must do trail.

I'd add Western Rim near Rabbit Valley in Fruita. Not technical or anything, so for pure riding maybe not so much. But for scenery? Wow.
  • 01-21-2013
    WKD-RDR
    must ride Colorado trail
  • 01-21-2013
    SkaredShtles
    Whew.

Haven't seen any mention of the best.

;)
  • 01-21-2013
    Jwind
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Buffalo Creek
    Searle Pass (near Copper)
    Colorado Trail and offshoots between Keystone and Breck
    Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass
    Doctor Park (Crested Butte)
    Fruita trails- 18 road, Kokopelli trail system, Rabbit Valley
    Hall Ranch (Lyons)

Lunch Loops way before anything else in GF/Fruita.
  • 01-21-2013
    desertred
    Great thread topic, as I have been wondering the same thing being a recent arrival to the Front Range. Can I also ask that the skill level required for suggested rides be mentioned? The trails here in CO are much more technical than I'm used to. The Crested Butte 401 trail is a goal for this summer.
  • 01-21-2013
    smmokan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Lunch Loops way before anything else in GF/Fruita.

Potentially true, just depends on your propensity for technical terrain. I prefer the combination of 18 Road one day and Horsethief/Mary's/etc the next, but to each their own. GJ and the Ribbon/Holy Cross/Lunch Loops is certainly right up there.

Also, Deserted- in Crested Butte, don't overlook some of the shorter trails too. You can link Upper, Upper Upper, Strand, etc to make a pretty killer loop. The riding is endless there, really.
  • 01-21-2013
    MK_
    No list is complete without mention of Durango.
    Kennebec Pass into town or Engineer Mountain/Cascade Creek are good places to start.

_MK
  • 01-21-2013
    GoldenGeezer
    Deep Creek trail, Creede.
  • 01-21-2013
    zrm
    Some that haven't been mentioned, all have numerous loop opportunities depending on how you go about them: Wheeler trail over Ten Mile Range near Breckenridge. Gold Dust Trail near Como. CT/Interlaken loop, Twin Lakes. Lenawee trail, A Basin ski area. Guyot loop, Summit County.
  • 01-22-2013
    teleken
    Plan some time off and spend several days to a week at each big location:
    Summit County (maybe throw Vail into that mix and hit Shittles Secret - Two Elks)
    Crested Butte (with a Monarch Crest intro)
    Durango (with Phils World on the side)
    Fruita/Grand Junction
    Steamboat (perhaps hitting Winter Park on the way).

This way you get the top rides plus the runner-up rides.
  • 01-22-2013
    bipolarbear
    What? No love for the Peaks Trail?

X2 on Lenawee, best trail in Summit IMHO

Searle is also top of my list for the area.
  • 01-22-2013
    IndecentExposure
    Apex Shuttle.
  • 01-22-2013
    SkaredShtles
    Two Elks ain't no secret.

And it ain't one of the best.

:cool:
  • 01-22-2013
    Grizzattack
    And another list, this one using Singletrack.com's algorithm for ranking. This should be a handy resources. The BEST Mountain Bike Trails in Colorado || SINGLETRACKS.COM
  • 01-22-2013
    kosayno
    Bikepack the whole Colorado Trail. Fast and smooth. Rocky and gnarly. Lush green forests. Dry burn areas. Sweet alpine riding. Breathtaking scenery and high climbs that take your breath away(literally). Cool little towns. One old ghost town. Soak in a hot spring. Take a cold bath in the river. The trail constantly goes up and down. So does your emotions. And finally, one silly ass grin that stretches ear to ear across your face when you reach Durango.
  • 01-22-2013
    TheRage43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    Apex Shuttle.

Make sure to go on an odd day....:p
  • 01-22-2013
    ajdemo76
    Peaks Trail, Bakers Tank, the network of Keystone Ranch trails. Those are some of the good ones in Summit County. Keystone of course for lift access.
  • 01-23-2013
    dobovedo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    Bikepack the whole Colorado Trail. Fast and smooth. Rocky and gnarly. Lush green forests. Dry burn areas. Sweet alpine riding. Breathtaking scenery and high climbs that take your breath away(literally). Cool little towns. One old ghost town. Soak in a hot spring. Take a cold bath in the river. The trail constantly goes up and down. So does your emotions. And finally, one silly ass grin that stretches ear to ear across your face when you reach Durango.

Of all the replies I've read so far, this is the one that gets me pumped up for an adventure. This is now on my bucket list.