Thread: Munched up

Now Uploading

Munched up

New SRAM X-9 rear derailleur less than 200 yards into first ride. Cracked, twisted, folded, flipped up and went through spokes, I was not shifting at the time, was climbing a mild grade in the middle of the cassette. Heard crack/ripping noise, stopped immediately with derailleur wrapped in spokes. Had to pull derailleur back out of spokes to clear wheel. No foreign matter found in chain, no crash involved. No bent chain links, no too tight or too loose links found. Pulleys still turn. Yes, properly installed and adjusted limits and chain length. The (top pulley) bolt appears too short to engage the derailleur body with more than one thread. Bolt appears undamaged, not stripped. Called dealer and SRAM, both supporting this warranty replacement. I believe this one was defective, not a bad product in general, and the customer service on this issue has been excellent. I've had nothing but perfect performance with my X0 rear derail lures, this was my first X-9. I'm planning to put the replacement in my toolbox as a 1:1 pull ratio rear spare for my X0s.

If I had to guess, I'd say the top pulley bolt was too short (like a bottom pulley bolt), and it popped apart and blew up.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 12-14-2004 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Spelling of "derailleur"
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Perpetually single track
    wow...I think you ride too hard is the problem. Go SS...less issue with those derailleur thing-a-majigs.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    wow...I think you ride too hard is the problem. Go SS...less issue with those derailleur thing-a-majigs.
    I'd think of riding my single speeded Chase at Palmer this weekend if I could find a damn 19T cog and regear it. New X0 on the AC now, so no problem though.

Dave

Now Uploading

Problem solved... Fast!

Friday it broke and I called the shop, Monday I called SRAM, Tuesday I dropped off the broken one and today, on Thursday, I picked up the new replacement. And it's the new 2005 X.9 model, more like the X.0 construction (looks like they made last year's X.9 the new X.7 rear deraillure, and now the X.7 is available in either silver or black).

Awesome service from both SRAM and Bike Source. Being so used to problematic and nonresponsive Shimano, this SRAM customer service is amazingly fast and accurate, that was less than one week and very straight forward. And that's not the first time that Bike Source has come through for me with promptly solving a problem with someone else's defective product. Give those guys a shot down in Highland's Ranch. Looks like they want your business, and are not afraid to give you excellent customer service for it.

I'm pleased. If everything went this smooth everywhere, nobody would have anything to whine about anywhere.

Dave

locked - time out
    Sweet - Justin and the rest of those guys are great (@ Bikesource). Rumor has it that Jim's AC is going to be replaced too, good news for the rest of us riding AC's

This look like a warranty issue to you?

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    I'd think of riding my single speeded Chase at Palmer this weekend if I could find a damn 19T cog and regear it. New X0 on the AC now, so no problem though.

Dave
    I have a 18t if you want it.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I have a 18t if you want it.
    Hey, thanks, I appreciate that, but the reason I needed the 19T is that I'm not using a chain tensioner on this SS with vertical dropouts, the chain fits with that chainstay length with gear combos like 34-17T. So I was going to regear it to 32-19. Four teeth up or down, either way and the chain still fits without a half-link or tensioner. The odd number teeth cogs over 15T seem to be impossible to find now. I have another plan though. I'll post a pic when I get it done.

I can push the 34-17T around urban, but it's bear to try to climb with on a trail!

BTW, if looking to figure this kind of spacing on a singlespeed, check this out:
    http://www.teambigtime.com/software/ssConvert.htm

Cheers,

Dave

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    I have a 19t steel King I could be coerced into giving up. Anything to get an SSer off his gears, eh? I would need an 18t King to replace it, and some beer to sweeten the deal, though.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    I have a 19t steel King I could be coerced into giving up. Anything to get an SSer off his gears, eh? I would need an 18t King to replace it, and some beer to sweeten the deal, though.
    Beer good.... thanks man, lemme think about that, the King cog is 4.5mm wide, so I wouldn't be able to use either of my SS spacer/guide sets that I have, too wide, would have to go back to stacking freehub spacers, I'll consider that if I don't like what I'm doing next which is 33-18T. I found a Truvative 33T 104 chainring, and I've got all the even-number tooth (16, 18, 20) cogs in my parts stash. Going odd-number teeth on front lets me use even-number tooth cogs on back. No, I don't want to use a Singlator or anything like that.

I've also got a SRAM R9 12-23 road cassette I can rip apart to individual cogs (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23) at least to try those gear combos, but I didn't want to use ramped/flat toothed cassette cogs made for shifting my chain off of, especially if I don't use that rear cog guide around it (diameter only really works up to like 18T). Actually this whole SSing without chain tensioner fiasco has become a big PITA because nobody makes a damn plain flat stamped cheap 19T cog anymore. Or a decent half link (3/32 would be nice). Spot said they were going to make a 19T cog ($40 Ti), but they have not yet, and may never. And I'm not gonna respoke a SS (would have to be disk) freewheel type hub in just for this.

This singlespeeding business will be easier when I rebuild my XC HT in the spring around some new FS frame, then that XTC frame's chainstay is spaced for even/even number teeth chainrings/cogs. So I'll go 32-18T or 34-20T on that one. That bike will be a light XC SS (I'm building wheels now), not like this heavier Chase urban/DJ SS.

Starting to think this should be in the SS forum...

Cheers,

Dave

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Are you on a steel frame right now? Just have Walt tack some Surly track drops on it. Cost you $50 at most, and then all your problems would be solved.

I've been riding 33 x 19 with a Truvativ ring, and it's made me feel a bit odd. But I like it, so it's staying. That said, I haven't ridden my MTB in three weeks, so....
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Now Uploading
    Are you on a steel frame right now?
    No, aluminum, check it out:

Urban/Dirt Jumper Single Speed

Looks a little different now with a Z1 FR and 20 hub and some brake cable rerouting, but you get the idea.

Can always grab a beer and talk singlespeed sometime, preferably after a ride.

Cheers,

Dave

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Just have Walt tack some Surly track drops on it. Cost you $50 at most, and then all your problems would be solved.
    If Walt is doing that for $50, he's doing it for free or he wants to date your sister. Seriously. The dropouts cost half that. He should be charging a minimum of double that if he wants to stay in business, $150 if he wants a living wage. You hearing me, Walt?

Perpetually single track
    Stefan does have a pretty hot younger sister....do you that photo copy of her birth certificate to prove she's 18? I'm *ahem* just curious of course.