Thread: MTB trip ideas

mtbr member

MTB trip ideas

I've been doing internet searches for a week and I'm overwhelmed with information. Thought it might be easier to get information from people that live there.

Me, my wife and our 2 month old are looking to go out to Colorado in mid September. I'm looking for a place that has good mountain bike trails for a cross country rider, good climbing, singletrack, scenery etc. Plus I'd like to have a place that has alot of open restaurants, shopping and some hiking.

We would like to stay East of Vail, since we're driving out from Wisconsin. Some people told me Winter Park would be nice, but when I called the village they said they were under construction and their mountain bike trails were closed for service. last year we went to Copper mountain and it was the same thing, no restaurants were open and the mountain bike trails were closed. So I'm assuming if we go after labor day we'll have to travel to a larger town.

A few people suggested Breckenridge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, Breckenridge would be your best bet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I second Breck. With Fall leaf peeping most everything will be open in the Breck/Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorn metroplex. Plus the riding should be superb.
    If you like Thai food go by My Thai on the East side of Breck- mmmmm good.

mtbr member
    WP isn't closed. Just the lift assisted trails. But by mid September most of all the resorts are. The best riding in WP is not part of the resort. I highly recommend staying there as it is much more laid back and doesn't have the same ski resort feel that the other places do. Although they are working to change that. 600 miles of bike trails in WP/Fraser valley. Only a tiny handful are part of the resort.

Vacationsinc.com has listings for places to stay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    WP isn't closed. Just the lift assisted trails. But by mid September most of all the resorts are. The best riding in WP is not part of the resort. I highly recommend staying there as it is much more laid back and doesn't have the same ski resort feel that the other places do. Although they are working to change that. 600 miles of bike trails in WP/Fraser valley. Only a tiny handful are part of the resort.

Vacationsinc.com has listings for places to stay.
    Do you recommend any places that are close to the trails? Or is everything close to the trails?

mtbr member
    St. Louis campground is close to good trails if you are looking to camp. Otherwise most of the condos/town homes are just a couple minutes drive to trail heads. We stayed at the TimberRidge townhomes last year and they were nice and inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    . 600 miles of bike trails in WP/Fraser valley.
    My a$$... If you count every sidewalk, county road and cow path in the valley. I don't know where they came up with that fabrication. A more realistic number would like be about a tenth of that. I still would rather go to Breck, even if it isn't quite as laid back as WP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BonkedAgain
    My a$$... If you count every sidewalk, county road and cow path in the valley. I don't know where they came up with that fabrication. A more realistic number would like be about a tenth of that. I still would rather go to Breck, even if it isn't quite as laid back as WP.
    Agree, I like WP, but it is so overrated.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by BonkedAgain
    Agreed. In my opinion, there's about 5 miles of good stuff there. I was horribly dissappointed when the locals thought that dirt roads are part of the trail systems.

Stay in Summit County. There's tons for the entire family to do, and you'll have access to tons of trails.

have fun!