Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Think Circles!

MTB Strength Training: Anyone use it?

Just wondering if anyone has used the MTB Strength Training Program and your thoughts on it. I've been looking for a good gym routine and would like something that will improve my riding, not just make me look buff. Currently im paying for 24hr fitness and really getting nothing out of it because when I do go, I don't have a plan or routine. I just wander around checking out the MILFS in spandex.

Thanks

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    ...I don't have a plan or routine. I just wander around checking out the MILFS in spandex.
    Sounds like you are on a fine gym plan/routine to me.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member

MTB workout

Well I cannot speak for the full workout plan that you are looking at I did buy the MTB dumbbell combo workout plan.

I was kind of like you just wandering around the gym and picking up heavy weights (while watching the milf spandex) but had no real idea what I was doing. The combo workout rocks and I can really tell when I get in the technical stuff that it is helping my riding.

Also James is really good at communicating with you once you have bought a program. I bought the cheap version and he and I have probably swapped 5 or 6 emails about questions I had. Well worth the money in my opinion and the videos he provides really helped me with my form.
    Feels like an Arby's night.

mtbr member
    My wife and I do a fitness boot camp. BCOR, or Boot Camp of the Rockies. I started it after a ACL injury 2 years ago, and my first day back snowboarding was like I had never been hurt. It's a million times better than a gym, and the workouts are great for general fitness.

what nice teeth you have
    I paid for the program a while back. But have yet to use it in its entirety.
    Things I like:
    His focus on mobility, hip flexibility, glutes.
    His material has been getting better since I bought the program. He has added a lot of video and reworked it so that it is more organized.

His blog:
    http://bikejames.com/

There is one thing that bugs me about his material, whether its his blog or his program. And that has to do with how he states some of his opinions.
    He'll say, "... and that proves that my way is a better way of doing xxx"
    But he doesn't really prove anything. Just states an opinion.

Edit: I do think that if you have the money to spare that his program is worth buying.

Thank YOU, Chuck Norris!
    I've done several Genesis Fitness boot camps (Performance Camp) and have kept myself in shape for skiing and mountain biking: (http://genesisfitnesscamps.com/). My fitness levels are better than they have been in a long time. I definitely became leaner and gained more endurance from the camps.

I do want to try to add a little more muscular strength, so I am going to mix in some CrossFit training that was recommended by a friend. I am starting tomorrow and will give you a review if interested. Link: http://www.crossfitdenver.com/

My 2 pennies.
    I see you're drinking one percent. Is that because you think you're fat?

drinks from the fountain
    I stopped the gym routine and started body weight exercises,Pull ups, Pushups,Dips,Squats,Lunges,and plyometrics.(box jumps,running steps slowly methodically,etc)
    I am in better shape than I ever have been. For me 50 push ups with perfect form was way more beneficial than trying to bench 300. (not that I could)
    This way of training also allows me to work out anywhere. When I take my son to the playground I can do pullups or rings or whatever. Oh and it's free.

The best workout is the one I am willing to do consistently.
    I have noticed gains in explosive strength and overall fitness.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

trail waggler

Today I got....

A set of six 12 ounce weights. Seems to working good so far!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

trail waggler

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    I just wander around checking out the MILFS in spandex.
    Moro Islamic Liberation Front?
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    A set of six 12 ounce weights. Seems to working good so far!
    That's funny
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Think Circles!
    Thanks for the comments, opinoions and laughs guys!

I'd like to hear more from folks that have actually used the program. I have also subscribed to James' Blog and find it to have a strong sales pitch. Thats what turns me off about the whole deal. BUT If the program works, I can see past that.

Oh and the 12oz curls are what brought me to this question. hahah!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I use it and I really like it. I have noticed significant cycling related and general strength related improvements. A lot of it has to do with the small movements that don't seem like they do much. But they do. He makes you do movements that relate directly to the pushing/pulling we do on our bikes. Don't get distracted by his marketing style. From what I can tell, he is a fitness and mountain bike lover first, marketing dude, second or third or something he has to do to try to make a living. Bottom line, his program still takes work, but it works well, is easy to do (once you've done your homework and understand each exercise). I totally recommend it.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Think Circles!
    Great, Thanks!

!Vamos, flaco!
    Road biking and, if you're really wanting improvement, intervals, are the easiest and most effective way to improve xc riding, in my opinion.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

Intervals...

Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Road biking and, if you're really wanting improvement, intervals, are the easiest and most effective way to improve xc riding, in my opinion.
    Not to derail your thread Dave, but I've often wondered about intervals on bikes. I've improved my running times by doing intervals (i.e. 30 sec fast, 2 min jog), so I'm familiar with the concept.

Do riders generally do intervals on the flats? Do you seek out non-techy trails to stay in rhythm, or do you generally stick to the road bike for interval training? What kind of timing and levels of exertion are typically followed?

I've always felt like you're essentially doing intervals on a typcial front range ascent without having to follow an intentional program, but I suspect I'm wrong about this.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    Not to derail your thread Dave, but I've often wondered about intervals on bikes. I've improved my running times by doing intervals (i.e. 30 sec fast, 2 min jog), so I'm familiar with the concept.

Do riders generally do intervals on the flats? Do you seek out non-techy trails to stay in rhythm, or do you generally stick to the road bike for interval training? What kind of timing and levels of exertion are typically followed?

I've always felt like you're essentially doing intervals on a typcial front range ascent without having to follow an intentional program, but I suspect I'm wrong about this.
    There are lots of different types of intervals. Do a quick search on roadbikereview.com and see. They, in essence, train you body to be able to handle hard loads and work really hard for various periods of time. A classic is 3 x 20 minutes at threshold. There are also Tabata intervals in whihc you pedal like made for short periods with really short rest periods. Different intervals train your body for different efforts. I'm no expert. However, to do any kind of structured interval program, you need an even course without breaks so you can maintain you levels of effort in the time period you want. It's hard enough to find raods to do this on. I don't know how you could do it on a trail.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Thanks Pabs. That's great information.

mtbr member
    P90X - If you don't do it then you are not extreme.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    Thanks Pabs. That's great information.
    No problemo. Just remember that what I said is all pretty general info and there's more info and debates on intervals than you can shake a stick at. From my experience, if you want to race, and certainly if you want to do well racing, intervals are almost necessary in order to be able to hang with the accelerations, but for fun and being a strong rider generally, you just need to get on the bike and push it.

Think Circles!
    OK, good info... I will lookinto intervals too.

BACK ON TOPIC

Goofing off?
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead
    P90X - If you don't do it then you are not extreme.
    second that.

mtbr member
    I like his approach to training. Might not be anything new or truly that specific for MTB. Not sure how most of what he seems to be trying to sell applies to riding specifically. Endurance and strength from body weight training and olympic lifts will change your life on the bike, IMO. Metabolic cost to ride harder, faster and longer can be HUGE depending on terrain, altitude, etc. Dealing with metabolic demand is a special kind of skill associated with some pain. We're all familiar with this concept on a bike, but what about in real life? You should check out www.crossfit.com- lots of great resources there. Or hit http://www.flatironscrossfit.com. Best!
    mountainswin

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I've done the program and believe in it

I think it is far better than free weights. It's a little complicated but worth it.
    2 wheels

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    I think it is far better than free weights. It's a little complicated but worth it.
    Did you buy the "ultimate program" or the $17 one? I'm interested but trying to decide if I want to do the big 6mo program. Thnx.

Shread Ready
    Great thread. Kinda funny a guy from CA posted this in the CO Front Range forum but glad he did. I have a 24hr fitness membership and have been hitting it consistently since I recovered from a wicked heel fracture/surgery in Jan 06. Got back on my feet in June and got a membership to 24 that July. So it's been 2 years of weight training and I just started to finally integrate legs into my routine. I must say even though I just started to do legs it has helped a lot from what I can tell. My last two rides (Wed/Thurs) I was feeling pretty solid and my legs felt pretty strong. I'd like to try some of this other type of training you guys list since it helps confuse muscles (Like the P90x) and targets muscles I typically don't hit or train in my routines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast