Thread: Mtb Rmnp?

Moosehead

drinks from the fountain
    Love the photo of users widening an already abused trail.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by tmosebar
    Love the photo of users widening an already abused trail.
    That's actually a shot of one of the many fireroads or doubletracks at Green Mountain, which handles heavy multiple users/Front Rangers rather well. From the jist of the article, it seems like a MTBR only trail might be an option at certain National Parks.

Not holding my breath, but rather amazing that it's gone this far. Kudos to IMBA, Comba, and other advocacy groups. Shall we also thank our MTBRing former President? Yea, I said it.

mtbmike

The Change is Significant

What this rule actually does is drive the decision making process to the actual NPS unitit would effect. Before now, the conversation stopped in Washington and the response was NFW.

Now, we still have to go through all the processes like NEPA and public comment to get access to anything. But at least we get to have the conversation.

Personally, I don't think RMNP is a good fit for bikes. Their trail system (a great deal of it) is in sad shape already and introducing bikes would put a target on our collective backs for blamemiestering.

If RMNP were closer to an active MTB volunteer base that would step up and keep trails that were open to them in good operating condition, that would likely be compelling to administrators. But that isn't the case. And adminstrators struggle on a daily basis to maintain the system they have.

I'll be learning more at the IMBA National Summit next month... I understand that we'll be talking to Dept of Interior people about this subject.... watch this space.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....