mtbr member

MTB Rides - Erie, CO

Howdy all...about to move to Erie (from Boulder) and wondering if anyone has info on rides that can be done from the house. I realize there's nothing epic out that way and am familiar with biking to Teller Lakes and White Rocks. Looking for more like these...good place to go out, be on dirt and within 5-10 miles of Erie...thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I live in Vista Ridge and there's really nothing noteworthy... but I've only been there for a little over a year. Decent road riding out this way though.

mtbr member
    Thanks Walt...

Desperately trying to avoid buying a road bike and shaving my legs...hopeful that someone out our way has some good info on some dirt for us...

It's only 4 miles from the corner of 287 and Arapahoe to the Teller Lakes TH...you can link up to White Rocks from there...out and back is likely 15-20 miles...half raod/half dirt...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You could try the Coal Creek Trail. It's far from epic, but at least it's dirt.

You can pick it up at the parking area on Public Road in Lafayette, just south of S Boulder Road. If you go east, you can connect to the Rock Creek trail and ride past the hospital down to the NW parkway. Then it just kinda stops

But ... if you go west, you can ride out through Louisville down to Superior. And according to this press release, you can supposedly go all the way to Marshall Mesa and Eldorado Springs.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayG
    Thanks Walt...

Desperately trying to avoid buying a road bike and shaving my legs...

Move to Golden...

mtbr member
    I live in Lafayette, and will take the Coal Creek Trail into Superior and over to the Marshall Mesa area. If I want to do a quick ride that is on dirt, I'll go over to the Carolyn Holberg open space. http://www.bouldercounty.org/openspa...rock_creek.htm

The south side of this open space links in with Broomfield open space, and more trails.

http://www.bouldercounty.org/openspa...kCreekFarm.pdf

Marcia

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JayG
    Thanks Walt...

Desperately trying to avoid buying a road bike and shaving my legs...hopeful that someone out our way has some good info on some dirt for us...

It's only 4 miles from the corner of 287 and Arapahoe to the Teller Lakes TH...you can link up to White Rocks from there...out and back is likely 15-20 miles...half raod/half dirt...

Seems inevitable...let me guess--CU new grad, new job in engineering something blah blah, moved to suburbs...you're totally shaving your legs in a month.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nca777
    Seems inevitable...let me guess--CU new grad, new job in engineering something blah blah, moved to suburbs...you're totally shaving your legs in a month.
    nevermind, I was way off....still think you're shaving your legs though..

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info all...I work in Golden and ride Apex or MW a couple times a week...In Boulder, if I wanted to ride from the house, Betasso was a good choice or all the stuff up around the Res over toward Wonderland.

This post was to find a quick weekend fix out east(my wife and I jsut had our first child and windows of opportunity on the weekends are short).

Guess I did not realize that the Coal Creek Trail linked all the way to Marshall Mesa...and definitely did not know about the stuff out toward 470...hmmm.

Cheers...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I live in Vista Ridge as well... there's a system of dirt trails near the intersection of Lowell and Sheridan. Nothing spectacular, but fun to mess around on for an hour or so. If you know where the lake is at that intersection, the trails originate due south of there- right across Sheridan, basically.

mtbr member
    So just head south on Lowell from Vista Ridge, cross Sheridan and it's right there?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, for the most part- the "trail system" is on the SE corner of the Lowell/Sheridan intersection. It goes into Westminster a ways- just explore and you'll find a couple fun little stretches.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It's actually just east of the intersection by maybe 1/4 mile, directly across from the entrance to that lake/resevoir park.

mtbr member
    I tried to search some info on Erie Open Space, thinking that there had to be some riding north and east of the Arapahoe/287 intersection...came up empty...

Oh well..sounds like with Coal Creek Trail, the stuff in Broomfield and the stuff out toward Lowell and Sheridan, I can find short weekend fixes...thanks!