old skool newbie

Mtb Racing on Ice

I just noticed this race on Evergreen Lake is going on and it's in my own 'hood, so I figured no one else really knows about it either.

Looks like a good excuse to buy /make some studded tires. Except I am not the racer type and I am already busy that day.

http://www.evergreenwinterfestival.c...rs/icebike.pdf

Its part of the Evergreen Winter Festival and they have all types of events going on.
    Evergreen Winter Festival 2012

lucky enough
    I was up in WY and ID last weekend and they were advertising snow bike races. And a gear store in Driggs had a nice snow bike in the window (Surly).
    Last edited by cocavaak; 01-26-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

old skool newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    I was up in WY and ID last weekend and they were advertising snow bike races. And a gear store in Driggs had a nice snow bike in the window (Surly).
    I think snow biking is gaining popularity. It used to be just Surly's Pugsley that was mass produced but now Salsa has the Mukluk, there is the Fatbike brand, Nine Zero Seven, Moots Snoots, and a lot of boutique builders will produce one too.

Leadville has a snow race series ...

The Evergreen Winterfest is promoting an ICE bike race though. The fat tires aren't going to help much, you'll need spikes for sure. Or lots of padding.

High speed Motorcycle racing on ice comes to mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

old skool newbie

fun 2 be had

Not being the racer type I figured icebiking would at least have a some good slapstick type humor and I wasn't dissapointed. Lots of woops moments
    I threw on a studded tyre on the front and hoped the back would track through. Two would be better. The course had some ice, rough snow, fast straightaways, twisty switchbacks and a bacon/vodka shortcut.
    The Evergreen Parks and Rec put on a winter festival with music, food, rail jam, etc. It was a good morning out for the whole famn damily
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mtb Racing on Ice-ice-pelaton.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

Light freak
    Go team FIFO!

mtbr member
    Very cool!

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Besoft took 5th - he should have a vid to post
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

old skool newbie
    PBR- How do you know what the placements were? It seemed a little on the loose side of organized. Especially when the announcer called me out in third place when I crossed the line right behind first and second, knowing I had just been lapped. I did manage to move up a lot - you can see me second to last in the start picture up top. I should have sandbagged the novice class - they were giving away Hawaiian Vacations