Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    <100%

MTB Park in/near Highlands Ranch

I received an email from Bicycle Douglas County the other day. I have paraphrased it a bit....

"Are you a mountain biker? Would you be willing to help Highlands Ranch Metro District develop part of a 100 acre site into a mountain bike terrain park that would be available to everyone in the county & metro area? What type of terrain? Is there a need for this type of park? Would you be willing to volunteer some time to help with this project?"

I think this would be great. Please post your response, feel free to include as much detail as possible. Then let's take these comments to the HRMD and make this happen.

Want to join BDC or at least check it out? The web site is http://www.bicycledouglascounty.org/. The next meeting is the second Monday of May (12th) at the Westridge Rec Center in HR. I usually feel like the only Gravity/Mtbr at the meetings. This would be a good time to show up, support them, and see if we can make something positive happen here in Douglas County.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Living here, was not aware of this organization. But will check it out. I would be down for building some trail. Whether it be here or ? Defianately a good opportunity to give back to the sport we all love so much. As long as they don't close trails to highlands ranch residents only, after they build it. IF WE BUILD IT THEY WILL COME...
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    I'm definitely in. Be sure the bump this closer to the meeting.

MountainMafia "Boss"
    Sounds like a plan to me.... With this possibility and the new park that is under way down in Castle Rock, it looks like the scene is gowing in the southern metro area. I knew there was a reason the wife & I decided to move to the HR area.
    "Live to ride... FREERIDE to live!!!!!!"

<100%

Update

Just an update. My understanding is that property in question is at the Northeast corner of Highlands Ranch Parkway and Santa Fe. The project is being coordinated and funded by the Highlands Ranch Metro Districts (HRMD). Don't confuse them with the HR Community Association (HRCA). HRCA facilities are available to HR resident only. HRMD manages common areas for the benefit of all, NOT just those who live in Highlands Ranch. These facilities will be available to everyone.

This is a great opportunity to get some quality facilies in the south metro area. Want a dirt jump line or two? How about a pump track or two? Skills course? Make your voice heard. Volunteer some time or expertise. Attend the August BDC meeting and learn more.

The following is the most recent email that I received from Bicycle Douglas County. "Thank you to all the ideas and volunteers for the mtn. bike terrain park. I talked with Nick Adamson at HRMD this morning. HRMD is working with both federal and CO state depts to get management of this piece of land in west Highlands Ranch. Until this is finalized they can't move forward with a mtn. bike terrain park.
    But they are thrilled with how many people had ideas & suggestions and volunteered to help with this project. Nick will be able to attend our August meeting to fill our group in on progress. He will get in contact with all the volunteers when all the groups have approved/finalized HRMD use of this land"

Thread Terrorist
    You guys should do some research with the Fort Collins government. Spring Canyon is a neat little spot, although not huge, its the first of its kind around here.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Not just famous; infamous

Keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by fubuki
    I'm definitely in. Be sure the bump this closer to the meeting.
    Agreed! I may be living on that end of the Ranch by August. Having a skills park/DJ area would be amazing...especially if it's within riding distance. Please keep those of us who are old and forgetful updated so we won't miss the meeting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ha, the horse park area right by Burger King?!? Small world! I approached HR about that same exact spot a little over 5 years ago and was rejected hard. I used to work right off Dumont and figured that since the horse people never used the area, I would- didn't go over so well as HR did not really control the land. I forget what the signs say. Now they have that new solar gate and I see trailers there often, I figured the horseites were back in full swing?
    Here's hoping this bears fruit! I can work a shovel, I'm down to help build whenever.

If you go over and look, some of my crappy wooden stunts are still lying in the bushes Still fun to bomb off the horse jumps
    Last edited by norton05; 04-01-2008 at 03:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    Agreed! I may be living on that end of the Ranch by August. Having a skills park/DJ area would be amazing...especially if it's within riding distance. Please keep those of us who are old and forgetful updated so we won't miss the meeting.

I do live at that end of the ranch. This would be awesome, let's hope it works out.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the info. I live right next to the area in question. I'll check out the next meeting.

Any new word?

Just bumping this up. Any updates on the Metro District's August meeting?

mtbr member
    bump.

<100%
    Here is a note from Judy Siel at Bicycle Douglas County.

I spoke with Nick Adamson at HRMD yesterday. The terrain park is moving forward, but slower than expected approval from the state & fed. He thinks is will be ~4 months before they sign off on change of use for this parcel of land. But hoping to start construction in early '09. Nick will be attending our August 11th BDC meeting to give us all the details.
    Thanks for your patience.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. At least it is moving forward.

Stand back
    Awesome news - thanks for the info and updates!
    Yes to all the above, pumptracks, dirtjumps and whatever else they can fit!
    And I might be able to throw in a few hours here and there on my way home from work.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

<100%
    Bump. August 11, 2008 meeting at 7pm at

Recreation Center at Westridge, Highlands Ranch
    9650 S Foothills Canyon Blvd
    Highlands Ranch, CO 80129
    (303) 471-7265

Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831

Very cool, it's just down the street. I can ride my bike to the meeting and check out the rec center at the same time.

My leg feels funny

(303) 471-7265
    Thanks for the update, any idea on the agenda of the meeting?

Did anybody make it?

Anybody get to go to the meeting? Any word on what's going on?

<100%
    Weak turnout from the MTB community (two of us). HRMD is moving forward. Still waiting to get management approval from the Corps. Money is there and they will start building asap. I have a draft summary of the skills features they are thinking about but no clue how to post so it's avail here and no time to figure it out now. I'd be happy to email it to someone who can.

At this time, they indicated they they were not including teter totter type features but the summary has some that are close enough that I don't understand why they would stop there.

I learned that the area in question the (spring gulch equestrian center) is currently being used as an equestiran facility and that they intend to keep it that way so bike and horses will have need to figure out how to coexist. The area is little over 100 acres in size and backs up to Redstone Park.

This is a Metro Districts project (HRMD), not a Community Association project. Use of the facility will be available to everyone.

They seemed open to various uses including STXC & Cross racing. They want input from people.

You can email nadamson@highlandsranch.org with ideas, offers to volunteer etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for those updating, bumping and participating on this thread. I am moving to the Highlands Ranch (NW area) in September. I am pretty excited to see this potential land use so nearby.

I am more of a XC rider than a teeter-totter user, but the idea of cross races being held nearby would be incredible. After I settle in from the craziness of the move, I will be happy to get involved with meetings support or a strong back w/shovel.

Please keep the updated info and scheduled meetings going on the thread. I will check periodically to keep informed.

Thanks, Tim

mtbr member
    Thanks to everybody for the bumps and updates. Couldn't make the meeting last night, but responded to the link you sent today!
    Would love to see some jumps, some pump track, maybe a little DS track. I've got boys with weak minds and strong backs to move a little dirt as well.
    Cheers,
    Scott

mtbr member
    You can email nadamson@highlandsranch.org with ideas, offers to volunteer etc.
    You sure about that email address? Sent an email last week, but haven't heard a thing.

<100%
    Quote Originally Posted by fubuki
    You sure about that email address? Sent an email last week, but haven't heard a thing.
    I have sent emails and never heard anything back also. I guess he's just compiling input but not moving forward until the agreement is worked out.

mtbr member
    I have sent emails and never heard anything back also. I guess he's just compiling input but not moving forward until the agreement is worked out.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast