Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    994

    Mt Lion at Indian Creek

    Had my first encounter with a mountain lion today. I was about half way coming down the tight twisty section of trail 800 right before you get to the whoops and there lay a mountain lion right in the middle of the trail. It took a good second or two before the lion realized I was coming straight at him. He got up quickly and took off and then just slowly crept about 50 feet above me and just stood there looking at me. When my friend arrived about 15 seconds late he just took off. He was probably 100-125 lbs. Just a beautiful looking beast. It was really awesome just to finally see one out there in the wild with my own two eyes, just wish I had my digital with me. Anyways, it was a good to be out there on the trails and hope everyone else got a good ride in today.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Liz Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    28
    Very cool! What time did you see it? I rode that loop today as well.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Man
    Very cool! What time did you see it? I rode that loop today as well.
    We saw it about 12:30.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,921
    I hear they are becoming quite bold. I hate riding that section alone and as beautiful as they are, I spook myself out each time I ride there and glance over my shoulder every now and then.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    994
    I get that same feeling when I ride that section alone. I was there on Thursday as well. That section on 800 when the wide trail ends and you come to that fork where the tr 800 sign is right before that short steep climb, I decided to venture down that old trail on the right of the fork until the trail got lost in overgrown oak brushes. There i found what looked like a freshly deboned leg of a small deer. I wasn't spooked but it had me thinking. Then today I encounter what was probably the same lion that gnawed that bone clean.

  6. #6
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764
    Wow, cool Ko! We headed out of the eq. center about 9:00 or so and dropped down ringtail trail and back up to 800 then left back towards eq. center we may have seen it as well had we continued towards dam and back up CT. Very cool, glad all went well. Middle of day seems odd for it to be lying in the trail.

    kevin
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    994
    Definitely was Kevin. I've seen a black bear up there before, but caught me off guard to see a mt lion just lying right there on the trail mid-day. You must've carpooled there, didn't see your truck. What time did you guys finish? We went down clockwise from the trailhead, back up Steven's Gulch, down 800, up Roxy backwards, up the steeper trail of Steven's with little bridge crossing. I'll have to catch you next time you're up there.

  8. #8
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764
    We parked up the road a bit in a non pay area. I guess we finished around 11:30 or so? How did you like that climb up that gully? I've hiked/climbed it on the ss prefer going down it! You going to make thurs. this week? Hopefully my back is better, having a little trouble with it. This week is a full moon!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    We parked up the road a bit in a non pay area. I guess we finished around 11:30 or so? How did you like that climb up that gully? I've hiked/climbed it on the ss prefer going down it! You going to make thurs. this week? Hopefully my back is better, having a little trouble with it. This week is a full moon!

    My legs were toast by the time we got to the last climb up the gully so I didn't even give it a try. Even with gears that part is impossible with all that loose dirt. I work 'til 7 but if I can leave at 6 I'll be there for sure. My lights are sick of being assigned to commuter duty only.

  10. #10
    Heads up Flyboy!!
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,163
    Some cool riding down around Indian Creek. My 1st time there this past weekend with PBR. Sorry we missed you guys. Kinda wish I could've seen the lion and kinda glad I didn't. Used to see a few Black Bear on the East Coast but like the lion they usually move along after seeing us.

    Ringtail

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/goatshell/3021498786/" title="Ringtail by Goat in a Turtle Shell, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/3021498786_1630b30956_b.jpg" width="820" height="655" alt="Ringtail" /></a>

    PBR in Ringtail's Bush

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/goatshell/3021500228/" title="Where's PBR by Goat in a Turtle Shell, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/3021500228_a960e3aa66_b.jpg" width="820" height="655" alt="Where's PBR" /></a>

    PBR Cruzin

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/goatshell/3021502146/" title="Kevin off Ringtail by Goat in a Turtle Shell, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/3021502146_8ede63c021_b.jpg" width="820" height="655" alt="Kevin off Ringtail" /></a>

    Ridin a bit of Sandstone

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/goatshell/3020671417/" title="PBR and the Rock by Goat in a Turtle Shell, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/3020671417_031b654c53_b.jpg" width="655" height="820" alt="PBR and the Rock" /></a>

    A view from Indian Creek

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/goatshell/3020673037/" title="View From Indian Creek by Goat in a Turtle Shell, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/3020673037_304888e13f_b.jpg" width="820" height="655" alt="View From Indian Creek" /></a>

    Jeremy

  11. #11
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764
    Nice pics Jeremy, sorry my camera was not cooperating hasn't been the same since it launched out of my pack! We should have headed out to the dam and extended that ride a bit..... but next time!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: humdinger4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    Had my first encounter with a mountain lion today. I was about half way coming down the tight twisty section of trail 800 right before you get to the whoops and there lay a mountain lion right in the middle of the trail. It took a good second or two before the lion realized I was coming straight at him. He got up quickly and took off and then just slowly crept about 50 feet above me and just stood there looking at me. When my friend arrived about 15 seconds late he just took off. He was probably 100-125 lbs. Just a beautiful looking beast. It was really awesome just to finally see one out there in the wild with my own two eyes, just wish I had my digital with me. Anyways, it was a good to be out there on the trails and hope everyone else got a good ride in today.
    That's a scary and really cool encounter, glad everything worked out.

    I don't know where this trail is, can you guys help me out on how to get there? Is there favorite direction that everyone likes over another as is clock wise over counter or certain trails?

    Thanks for the help and maybe I can meet up with someone this weekend?

    Michael
    2009 Trek EX8
    2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW (on order)
    1991 Trek 830

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    63
    I been Chased by one at the indian creek trail.
    -Caputo

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift Rider
    I been Chased by one at the indian creek trail.
    Sounds scary. How'd you manage to escape?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •