Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

MSC dead, dieing, or evolving?

I've noticed a big delay in getting the MSC schedule/info online, and wonder what you think about;
    1. No Rabbit Valley Race, replaced by the local run race at 18rd? Multi lap vs 1 big loop?
    2. Only 4 venues for x/c racing, and DH?
    3. Lack of info about this year's series, even though last year we were due to start the series in 2 weeks?
    4. Is the the death throws of the one great CORPS, argueably one of the premier state/regional series in the nation?
    5. With all the great races in Co, who cares about the MSC anymore?

My thoughts;
    1. Loved the big out and back spring race in the desert, can't get as excited about 3 laps of 18rd.
    2. I gave up in ski hill circuit races a long time ago. That's an outdated format used only for World Cup competition, most races I do now are one loop epics.
    3. Bigfoot is off the back? Never to return to the front of the group. Sad, but reflective of the change in racer interests.
    4. Evolve or die, sorry to see this once great series shrivel on the vine, I wonder if ski area expenses, and red tape had something to do with the decline of venues?
    5. The MSC was once the do all, be all for Colorado mtbike racing, but now with the RME series, and tons of local well run races, the MSC became less of a good value for my competitive budget, I always felt the MSC races had great courses, organization, and competition, but when I can get the same race product from a local small event, or a well run endurance series, it's hard to commit to an 8 or 10 race series that offers little more than prestige.

Anyone else have these concerns? Or comments on the present and future of the MSC?

mtbr member
    I did the Keystone race last year for the first time. I was shocked at how small the race was. We have bigger turnout for the local short track races in Fort Collins. For what it cost me $65 I don't think I will do it this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I never really considered the prices to be a "good value". Generally fun and generally well run events for sure but damn expensive imo

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    well back in the day.........................

my no sense

who cares xc racing is ghey all the way no matter how you take it

going round and round at some resort for 65 bucks is how I wanna spend my weekend and what little money I have.

Anybody remember riders del norte? Now that's bike racing.

Living the High Life
    I know some of the guys who work at MSC (and I am in NO WAY quoting them) but it comes down to the resorts. It is hard to work with multiple resorts; they all have their own agendas and with the low snow year they are all on a tight budget.

I think MSC did a good thing, narrow it to a few venues and (hopefully) do a great job at those. As a DH racer it is hard to find a series. WP and SV hold some great races, but all the same mountain. Not that I don't like those races, sh!t Sol Vista has the best race vibe I've ever been too, but it is cool to travel to different places.

For DH'er it's hard to miss Angel Fire, Crested Butte and Snowmass. AF is techy, CB is flowy and Snowmass is just wide open. 3 different style courses on the same series, that's a god damn good series.

mtbr member
    I did the super D at Sol Vista last year and was not impressed. I paid the race entry fee and then they made me pay for a lift ticket to get to the top to race. The MSC website stated that the lift ticket was included in the entry fee, just like DH but the resort wouldn't give me a lift ticket. I spoke with the MSC people and they said there was nothing they could do. That was my first and last MSC event I will ever attend. I know it is tough to put on these events but the cost is getting so out of hand. As a comparison, the Oregon Super D series cost the same and you get free lunch, free beer, plus if you podium the prizes are quite good, not just some crappy medal. The biggest difference is that in Oregon they are trying to grow the series and think about the participants first. MSC thinks about their paycheck first everything else doesn't matter. Proof is by Ithnu's comment. The resorts had a bad year so you would think they would welcome any income from mountain biking. It seems to me MSC has their own agenda and it doesn't include growing the series.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I did the Keystone race last year for the first time. I was shocked at how small the race was. We have bigger turnout for the local short track races in Fort Collins. For what it cost me $65 I don't think I will do it this year.
    Keystone had lower attendance than most of the other races for some reason.

Crested Butte had over 900 racers, according to MSC. And, I'd believe it after being there.

I think the MSC could be a little more organized, but it seems like most of the arguments in here are blowing things out of proportion. For instance, Keith has been posting a lot of info about the 2012 series info on the MSC forum (which sbsbiker has also posted/complained in); and this info was posted earlier than last year. Additionally, how about this new thing they're doing called Enduro racing?

mtbr member
    I think that reports of the MSC's demise are a little premature. When your primary vendors for providing venues are ski areas, you're a little at thier mercy. Particularly with the growth of mountain affiliated bike parks. As Ithnu says, they're consolidating the DH venues and are expanding into enduro style racing.
    While Big Loop XC is great (at least that's what the really fit tell people like me that aren't fit), few ski areas are equipped for this kind of course, and it works against the image they're seeking. Even some of the big loop stuff is tough, anybody remember how many times I-70 was closed do to weather on Rabbit Valley weekends the last 3 years?
    I've gottten to see some of the volume of work that Bigfoot has put in this winter with USFS and other land managers to get the enduro racing off the ground, and it's taken a boatload of work (and paperwork) to get this done.
    There's no doubt that they're a little off the back information-wise, but all of the really impoirtant stuff has been up for awhile on the MSC website (dates, times, costs), some of the details of point structures, etc. that could use a little work.
    There is no doubt that evolution is occuring. Racers have more choices in where and what type of racing they wish to do. Recreational riders have a lot more choices. Bigfoot is trying to balance new growth and keeping their core riders happy, not an enviable task

Stand back
    I'm glad to see local races becoming more prevalent, and I see how MSC is trying not to duplicate those efforts. But it's inevitable that strategy will cost them the folks who can't travel 3+ hours from the Denver area for a race. It will be interesting to see what the race scene looks like in another few years.
    Best of luck to all the promoters out there.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    2011 Mountain States Cup DH

• Angel Fire, NM 273
    • Crested Butte, CO 393
    • Telluride, CO 227
    • Keystone, CO 231
    • Snowmass Village, CO 119
    • Snowmass Village, CO 172
    • Sol Vista, CO 213
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Everything goes in cycles. Interest waxes and wains. The CORPS series rose, had it's heyday (which I was a part of) plateaued, then declined. Organizers move on (it's often not a hard choice, when you figure out all the hours you put in with your payday you figure out you'd be better off washing dishes) and different generations have different interests. The funny thing is though, all too often what fell out of favor a few years ago can suddenly become cool again and a whole 'nother cycle begins.

I'm with stupid
    so you are saying i will be cool again in a few years?........Nice

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    so you are saying i will be cool again in a few years?........Nice
    Hey. if it's true for me, it can be true for you too.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Everything goes in cycles. Interest waxes and wains.
    The Fluorescent Colors Rule. ^^

You can judge a fads lifespan by the appearance of fluorescent colors during it's epoch.

Thread Terrorist
    This is a good topic and healthy debate. I was asked feedback from one of the inside guys at MSC last fall about my sporadic participation, and interests/quests going forward.

The MSC is a good thing for our community. The promotion of rider, teams, junior development teams, kids, newcomers, etc is nothing but positive in the mountain biking community. I've made many friends with this scene, and have had great times as well. However, many of us had families along the way. Although it shouldn't change things, it will modify behavior and priorities.

I represent that 30-40 DH group that watched DH racing in in its infancy evolve into what it is today. I started with XC racing in college, but after 7 years of watching one spandex fight break out on a trail after another, it got old. XC also became less of a 'mountain bike' race, and more of a fitness race. I yearned for the 'all mountain, all everything' race. It simply went to the way of applied roadbiking. Not my thing. DH racing was on the up, and something new meant fun and something to learn.

The venues are what sort of killed it for me. I was able to drop a race and go to the others. With a family, it was harder to make Anglefire, Telluride and other far off destinations due to time and finances. It was one thing for me to go, tent it, or stay with teammates crammed in a condo, but when the whole family is involved, you now have hotel rooms, food, etc for 4, not one. All of the sudden the cost went to $700 totalled with everything. And i was asking my wife/kids to simply hang out while I rode all weekend (wife loves to ride too). One DH race for that price? no way.
    I stuck to the local hills, racing the MSC in CB, Keystone, Sol Vista, Snowmass, etc. Venues that were closer and easily accessed or something I could pull a trailer within a reasonable distance.
    I tried the Super D (not a fan of a mass start), thought that was my thing. Seemed to be applied XC on a moderate DH course. Not easy to pass. I got into the DS and 4X right about the time it was all being cancelled (this year). Bummer.
    I raced the G3 (first DH stage race in the area) and loved it. It was very social and fun to see the progression of riders. 90 bucks got you 3 different runs, and it was a weekend of beer, food, friends and families.
    Last year Winter Park hosted their Enduro DH. 5 races, one full weekend! That was a blast! I placed middle of the pack, but most of all, I had a blast with all my riding friends! there was a beer evening, food, fun, and the prizes? WOW! I did the Keystone MSC DH race... Whereas nothing changed (still fun), nothing had changed. Prizes were lacking (not that won any, LOL), the sponsors seemed to be pissy, and the reduced racers were somewhat of a shock.
    When I see SRAM handing out parts, fixing broken this and that for racers, I feel like the racers were appreciated. One of our junoir kids broke his deraileur; he had limited funds and didn't think he could afford a new one. The SRAM guys hooked him up. I got 1st class service on my fork and brakes. The prizes they handed out were far above and better than I've ever seen it for amatuer racing. WP enduro, SolVista TripleDhip, Red Bull 12 hour races... lots of riding and racing for you buck.
    I think MSC has taken notice to the rise of DH enduro racing. The Whole Enchilada challenge is where I'll be spending my MSC money. With the fact that I can't make one of the MSC races (and their not allowing any drops this year), whats the point of spending lots of money going to other places. I love what MSC does for the sport, but being a dad, husband with limited time, I'd like more of a weekend adventure than just a 5 minute DH run. One run isn't worth it; a bunch of them are.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Anything USACycling gets their greedy little hands on eventually turns to ****.

There is almost too many choices for mountain bike races now. When you have to decide between 2 or 3 on certain weekends it isn't surprising when the race that is further away, much more expensive, and less rewarding gets cut out of your schedule.

(sounds harsh and sorry to anyone offended)

Thread Terrorist
    Promoting any given race is a lot of work. Kudos to those that can do it.

I hope MSC is simply evolving. Like new products, people are always looking for something fresh and new sometimes.

I'd like to have a local hill promote evening races. WP sort of did this, but it would be nice to have keystone or WP do the same thing this year.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    Promoting any given race is a lot of work. Kudos to those that can do it.

I hope MSC is simply evolving. Like new products, people are always looking for something fresh and new sometimes.

I'd like to have a local hill promote evening races. WP sort of did this, but it would be nice to have keystone or WP do the same thing this year.
    We have a local evening XC series that attracts 100-200 people per race. I think they've tried DH and super D but the numbers didn't make it worth it.

Awesomist™
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    I see your popcorn man and up you popcorn cat.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Does popcorn cat actually EAT the popcorn?

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Does popcorn cat actually EAT the popcorn?
    There are a few pieces scattered on the ground so it looks like the little guy gave it a try.

Thread Terrorist
    The cat eats mushrooms, clearly.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

a dad
    Jan 2004
    T
    Last year Winter Park hosted their Enduro DH. 5 races, one full weekend! That was a blast! I placed middle of the pack, but most of all, I had a blast with all my riding friends! .
    So, why not just go ride with your friends?

Personally, I raced many, many years ago when the CORPS was big and did well, but it was always obvious who the really good, natural, chance to go pro guys were and eventually I just realized I would rather spend my money on other things, plan a weekend trip somewhere and ride with my friends.. and racing was cheap then..

Now I spend my money on one big Pacific NW trip every year, may be a trip to Jackson etc..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    So, why not just go ride with your friends?

Now I spend my money on one big Pacific NW trip every year, may be a trip to Jackson etc..
    Good point. And I do ride with my friends!

Racing for me makes me up my game, get better and locate skills I never had. Last year I took a little turn coaching because that became a serious weakness for me. Training (or whatever I call it ) for me is good, I set a few goals, work hard to get there, race a little, and then am a better rider in the end. Racing is fun and I measure myself to my peers when its an all out run. Yeah, they're quicker than me, which means there's something out there to improve.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Good point. And I do ride with my friends!

Racing for me makes me up my game, get better and locate skills I never had. Last year I took a little turn coaching because that became a serious weakness for me. Training (or whatever I call it ) for me is good, I set a few goals, work hard to get there, race a little, and then am a better rider in the end. Racing is fun and I measure myself to my peers when its an all out run. Yeah, they're quicker than me, which means there's something out there to improve.
    See... I've always taken a different approach to my recreational pursuits.

Rocket Scientist
    I agree with what IndecentExposure said. When you have 4 people to take on trips it gets expensive quick. I have to decide early where my money is going and what times I can get away from my job and not make my family feel like they take a back seat.
    Next year I'll be making a trip out west to do the Fontana series and most definitely the Sea Otter Classic. The MSC in my opinion just has it all wrong. Some of the people who work for MSC are cool as hell and I don't mean them when I speak of MSC, I mean the ones calling the shots. They pretend like they want the Regular Joes feedback but at the end of the day, they really don't care about us. The ones they care about are the ones in their inner circle (Anyone who works for Yeti, anyone who works for BFP, Selected others who hang around with the cool kids) it’s just allot of attitude and personally I can only take so much of it so I choose to spend my money elsewhere. Year after year they just nickel and dime you to death with increasing registration fees, late registration fees and other BS they come up with. I used to go to most events but now I can't afford it so I attend selected other events. Offer events people are interested in, don't follow the UCI, USAC trends just for the sake of it. Make it affordable and the people will come. GIVE THE PAYING CUSTOMERS WHAT THEY WANT!

I'll be attending a few MSC races this year because it's mountain bike racing and that's what I am into. In my opinion the Fontana series has it all together. They still offer all the things that I want to do. I want to race 4x and DH. I’d drive 20hrs to do so. If you've never been to Sea Otter, I highly recommend it. I’ve been for the last 2 yrs. in a row and it’s the most fun you can have racing bikes. 5 days of nothing but riding, racing and talking about bikes. The vibe is awesome and it's just tons of people who are all stoked about bikes. Tons of Bike Manufacturers with new parts that have been released since Interbike and all the top WC pros are usually on hand and you could spend all day bench racing with any number of people. It has the sickest dual slalom racing ever, XC, and DH. The DH is greatly improved after the Sol Vista boys whipped up some magic on that track last year. The DH track isn't techy at all but its high speed and has allot of really fun jumps and every lap is a blast. It's a super fun warm up event to get you mega stoked on the upcoming season. It's just the best of everything you want. Plus you are in Cali. There are any number of other places to ride within an hour or 2 (Aptos Post office DJ's, Santa Cruz Trails and whatever else) if you get there early or stay after the event.

Bring the Sea Otter vibe to the MSC and it will all come back!

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    See... I've always taken a different approach to my recreational pursuits.

Sorry Skared, I call BS on this. I've seen your skiing, and passion for it, you're good, and although you may call yourself a hack you don't look it. OH sure, the mtb scene you have it nailed, showing up in cotton-turquoise bike shorts with a bright yellow 80's jersey. Those days are hilarious. But if you're trying to enjoy doing skiing poorly, PLEASE put on some jeans and a cowboys jacket.

Take pics.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sorry Skared, I call BS on this. I've seen your skiing, and passion for it, you're good, and although you may call yourself a hack you don't look it.
    As my father always told me, "Fernando... it is better to LOOK good than to ski good."

OH sure, the mtb scene you have it nailed, showing up in cotton-turquoise bike shorts with a bright yellow 80's jersey. Those days are hilarious.
    EVERY day of riding with me is hilarious.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply on this topic, sounds like many of us have the same opinions about the MSC, and the reality of our lives vs. having the feedom and money to attend all the series. I hope that Bigfot can keep evolving their product and keep offering races. I wonder now that Steamboat has been removed from the schedule where the State Championships will be held, and by whom? I hope my posts and "complaints" serve to help Bigfoot in their mission to produce top quality racing for Colorado.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6 View Post
    I agree with what IndecentExposure said. When you have 4 people to take on trips it gets expensive quick. I have to decide early where my money is going and what times I can get away from my job and not make my family feel like they take a back seat.
    Next year I'll be making a trip out west to do the Fontana series and most definitely the Sea Otter Classic. The MSC in my opinion just has it all wrong. Some of the people who work for MSC are cool as hell and I don't mean them when I speak of MSC, I mean the ones calling the shots. They pretend like they want the Regular Joes feedback but at the end of the day, they really don't care about us. The ones they care about are the ones in their inner circle (Anyone who works for Yeti, anyone who works for BFP, Selected others who hang around with the cool kids) it’s just allot of attitude and personally I can only take so much of it so I choose to spend my money elsewhere. Year after year they just nickel and dime you to death with increasing registration fees, late registration fees and other BS they come up with. I used to go to most events but now I can't afford it so I attend selected other events. Offer events people are interested in, don't follow the UCI, USAC trends just for the sake of it. Make it affordable and the people will come. GIVE THE PAYING CUSTOMERS WHAT THEY WANT!

I'll be attending a few MSC races this year because it's mountain bike racing and that's what I am into. In my opinion the Fontana series has it all together. They still offer all the things that I want to do. I want to race 4x and DH. I’d drive 20hrs to do so. If you've never been to Sea Otter, I highly recommend it. I’ve been for the last 2 yrs. in a row and it’s the most fun you can have racing bikes. 5 days of nothing but riding, racing and talking about bikes. The vibe is awesome and it's just tons of people who are all stoked about bikes. Tons of Bike Manufacturers with new parts that have been released since Interbike and all the top WC pros are usually on hand and you could spend all day bench racing with any number of people. It has the sickest dual slalom racing ever, XC, and DH. The DH is greatly improved after the Sol Vista boys whipped up some magic on that track last year. The DH track isn't techy at all but its high speed and has allot of really fun jumps and every lap is a blast. It's a super fun warm up event to get you mega stoked on the upcoming season. It's just the best of everything you want. Plus you are in Cali. There are any number of other places to ride within an hour or 2 (Aptos Post office DJ's, Santa Cruz Trails and whatever else) if you get there early or stay after the event.

Bring the Sea Otter vibe to the MSC and it will all come back!
    C'mon Billy,
    Everybody would like to have a vibe like Sea Otter for their local series, little bit like saying that a C.U. game, or the first Bronco's game of the season, should have the same vibe as the super bowl. Even then, Sea Otter's downhill track can be ridden on a hard tail with slicks. Not taking away from the DS track, aside from their crappy start gate. It's a good time and a great venue for DS, but not exactly DH heaven.
    As for Fontana, we've probably made as many trips out there as anybody locally. You're talking about a small hill with one steep section. Average time for Junior-X for the winter series was about 2:10 with 45 seconds of that (the wall) being the same kind of experience you could get sprinting out behind your local walmart (except there's more graffiti and tagging). The 4X track isn't complex and the brackets are so small that you're one-and-done when you race (after a 16 hour drive). The vibe is good, they're a good bunch of people, but it's also not the end all in racing.
    Same applies almost everywhere else. Northwest cup? Amazing track, good people, but you'd race the same venue 3 times in a row if that was your home series.To say nothing of having to drive to what seems like the end of the earth.
    Southeast? about the same as the northwest.
    Gravity East has it going, lots of racing, lots of venues, just a long ways away.
    Very few other venues offer the big mountain experience you can get with the Mountain States Cup. Maybe Northstar, but there's not a lot of tracks like Angelfire, Snowmass, Sol Vista, Telluride, or Keystone, that you can find to race. Maybe we just take it for granted after being able to race (or just go ride) tracks like this locally for so long, but (surprise!) the rocky mountains have some of the best race tracks out there.
    I share your pain on the loss of 4X, but wishing that promoters would support an expensive discipline that no longer has USAC support isn't happening. We've been more fortunate than many others over the years to get to do quality gated racing, but it's gone. The DS at the U.S. nats last year would have fit in the last straight at the Angelfire 4X. I'd love to see this change, but I'm just not seeing it.
    How any of us spend our precious recreational funds is a huge decision, and I fully appreciate getting as much for your dollar as you can, but it's not like it's a night and day difference with other series.
    Where ever you end up racing, keep the rubber side down, and have absolutely as much fun as you can!
    Cheers,
    Scott

mtbr member
    just ride :O)
    My bike takes me places school never could!

Living the High Life
    After reading all of this I agree and disagree with a lot. I love riding with my friends, but there is something about a timed run that I really like.

I'm still going to race most/all (vacation dependent not money) of the MSC this year. For DH it's a great series.

mtbr member
    I guess I should have specified XC vs DH for the comments, for DH competition I don't know where else you could go in Co to get the type of product the MSC offers, for XC it's a much different world with lots of competition and alternative sources of racing.

mtbr member
    MSC will never die because of the DH scene. This is a good thing.

mutaullyassuredsuffering
    I've been out of the racing scene from the past two years due to that job/family thing. I also have not done the MSC for over 3 years. Today I was bored and started looking up msc race results to see how my old friends were doing.

I was shocked by the reduced number of races. The last time I considered the series there were a bunch of endurance events....too many actually. Second I started looking at race results. I think there were 3 people who did the state champs in my category (cat1). Guaranteed podium ? Other than crested butte there were less than 10 folks every race.... I remember racing against 30 at the close races and at least 20 at the others.

I was condsidering jumping back into the fray for 2013, but the past years results have me wondering. Pretty sad to see.

How was the attendance on the gravity side relative to the past?
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard View Post
    I've been out of the racing scene from the past two years due to that job/family thing. I also have not done the MSC for over 3 years. Today I was bored and started looking up msc race results to see how my old friends were doing.

I was shocked by the reduced number of races. The last time I considered the series there were a bunch of endurance events....too many actually. Second I started looking at race results. I think there were 3 people who did the state champs in my category (cat1). Guaranteed podium ? Other than crested butte there were less than 10 folks every race.... I remember racing against 30 at the close races and at least 20 at the others.

I was condsidering jumping back into the fray for 2013, but the past years results have me wondering. Pretty sad to see.

Everyone is doing winter park now. Way better racing.

Living the High Life
    Gravity attendance seems pretty level. I'm CAT 30-39 and there are still 20 or so people in my bracket.

I remember in 2009 when I was in 19-29 at Angel Fire there were 55 of us. But that was the ProGRT influence I think. This year there were 45 in that bracket.

Guys on my team race both WP and MSC. Although most prefer MSC. Only so many times you can race down the same course at WP; with MSC the venue changes are good. And really the MSC Angel Fire/Snowmass/T-Ride courses, IMO, are some of the best gravity trails around.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Stand back
    Maybe it hasn't changed much in the last couple of years, but turnout is not as high as when I was racing MSC gravity ('05-'08). Seems like there were 30-40 guys in 30+ expert (prior to the change to CAT classes), and around 50 pro men at pretty much every venue.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Team Velveeta™

People change, dogs change.

...I was shocked by the reduced number of races. The last time I considered the series there were a bunch of endurance events....too many actually...
    I think there were some problems with venues for XC.

Any ski area that sells tickets for lift-served DH is going to be way into hosting a DH race. It promotes their business, and puts money in their pockets during the race weekend. So getting DH venues is no thang.

XC is not a money maker to the extent that life served stuff is. I think I remember hearing that there were some SNAFUs with lining out some of the venues for the XC races in the MSC series this year. And I also think that the numbers of people interested in racing traditional XC are basically on the decline.

Racing waxes and wanes, and the forms that are popular come and go. Some of it's demographics, some is technology.

Most people think of the 90's as "back in the day". During the 80s lots of people got into mtbing as the equipment became more available and people started hearing about it, then by the 90's many of those people were racing. Offroad racing got huge. Bike shops hardly sold any road equipment at all. And racing was multi-discipline. There would be a CORPS race weekend where at one venue there was an XC race, a DH race, and Observed Trials. Lots of the people would enter all three, and were good at all three. And they'd often do all three on the same bike.

Late in the 90's 24 hour racing came on. It was strong through the middle of the last decade, but now it's on the decline.

Meanwhile, DH/AM equipment has become really good, and a new generation of riders who are into gravity, DJ, slopestyle, Super D, and red bull/monster/rock star are mainstreaming. Quite a few of those people have no interest in racing XC, and don't even have bikes suitable for it.

The people who were racing XC in the 90s and maybe dabbled in 24 hour team racing, then 24 solo racing, are moving into dirt hundies and ultras. Look at the number of people who enter the Leadville 100 who are in their 40s and 50s.

And bike packing is getting huge among lots of people who were XC racers in the 90s and distance racers in the 00s. (And lots of other people). Used to be that you'd take riding to the next level by getting into competition. Now lots of people are taking it to the next level by getting custom bags sown up and taking off to camp.

Traditional XC (20-30 mile races) seem to be going away to a large extent.

But that's just my take.
    Last edited by TomP; 09-13-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    Maybe it hasn't changed much in the last couple of years, but turnout is not as high as when I was racing MSC gravity ('05-'08). Seems like there were 30-40 guys in 30+ expert (prior to the change to CAT classes), and around 50 pro men at pretty much every venue.
    I started racing in 07...but I'm not so old that I was in the 30+ bracket then.

The CAT system seems to make everything confusing still. There are guys who would have raced Expert class who are now in CAT 2. But most Experts went to CAT 1. But some semi-pros went Pro and some went CAT 1.

So CAT 2 is Export or Sporpert or something. And CAT 1 is semi pros and fast Experts, so semi-spert? Sounds like something a pill could cure.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Going back to the thread title, I think the MSC must be evolving...

I just finished my first year racing the entire MSC series in 30+ Super-D only. Super-D seems to have evolved for sure. I love the two race format, one timed run where you race yourself and try to catch your 30 second guy in front of you, and one mass start race where the usual suspects are barking banter back and forth during the race ( in good jest mind you ).

I also race Enduros, and was really excited that they have also started the BME series. Between these two, my racing addiction is pretty much satiated.

If I were to give constructive feedback to the MSC, BF, TD, Yeti, and the powers that be it would be the following:

- please, please, do more marking on Super-D courses that share differing variants on the same trail. We have to essentially learn two tracks in one day, and it is very easy come race time to make a stupid mistake... read as in the heat of battle I made a wrong turn onto the stage 1 variant in stage 2 at Telluride, got a DQ, and it cost me a top 3 in the season overall. My mistake, I take responsibility, but course intersections need much better taping IMHO.

- I love the two race format: one of the races on a jump line and the other on a not so jumpy line. This mixes up the results a bit and "grows" those more accustomed to xc, and puts some lungs on the more gravity oriented riders.

- Add more MSC events, i'd love to see a 6 event MSC season. Granted because I race Super-D and the Enduros, I essentially had 9 MSC races, 3 BME races, WP Enduro, and the Snowmass Enduro, and that is a good full season, considering the travel. But I can see things from a DH/XC persective I guess, though there are several DH, XC, and Enduro events outside the MSC every year if you look for them. Possibly as more resorts begin to take on their own race(s) and their own series, it cuts into the market share of the MSC, and were seeing fewer races because of this?

- I think there was only one race where I actually knew where the finish was!! Several other people commented on this as well. I know it sounds stupid, but people did have this issue more than once.

- Marshals, add more. While over the season, the number of switchback cutters did decrease, we saw some horrendous abuses of the magic 5ft rule. Granted, we as riders don't tolerate this and do report flagrant violations, but it happens none the less.

- Add a 50+ class for DH, mixed cat if need be... then my Team Director will stop complaining and get back on his bike. : )

- Add a few skills clinics, with discounts for MSC racers, though still open to the public. I think you would get at least 10 peeps showing up per clinic. Cornering, braking, jumping, etc... any racer who says "I already know how to do that" has stopped progressing and learning. Maybe dovetail in Lee or something? ( I have no affiliation btw ).

- Put the hammer down on guys who are top 3 every race and never move up! People in non-pro categories should not be posting top 5 pro times every race... just saying.

Overall is was a great year in Super-D I think... and I do believe things are evolving.

John

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post

The CAT system seems to make everything confusing still. There are guys who would have raced Expert class who are now in CAT 2. But most Experts went to CAT 1. But some semi-pros went Pro and some went CAT 1.

So CAT 2 is Export or Sporpert or something. And CAT 1 is semi pros and fast Experts, so semi-spert? Sounds like something a pill could cure.
    Hasn't it always been that way?

I think if you look at the way it was in the early 90's most roadies who raced USCF Cat 1,2 were NORBA Expert Class MTB or maybe Pro.

Cat 3's were sport or expert and,

Crash 4's were... crashing.

What a semi-spert? is that something you would see in a Cat 4 porn flick?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodeoj View Post

I just finished my first year racing the entire MSC series in 30+ Super-D only. Super-D seems to have evolved for sure. I

John
    Coasting downhill is not racing. So no. There is no evolution going on here. Only Darwinism. Just sayin.

Awesomist™

My popcorn is gone, so I guess I'll say stuff.

Most people that know me IRL know that I am pretty heavily involved with the MSC/BFP/BME stuff, but don't think I'm gonna get on the defensive or anything. Just a couple comments/observations. Good dialogue so far, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    ...And I also think that the numbers of people interested in racing traditional XC are basically on the decline.

Racing waxes and wanes, and the forms that are popular come and go. Some of it's demographics, some is technology.

But that's just my take.
    This seems to be true. With Leadville, Bailey Hundo, Vapor Trail, the Growler, etc. all selling out quickly, it seems the interest in "Traditional XC" racing is on the wane. Non-traditional formats like the Breck Epic also seem to be gaining popularity. In the MSC, the XC race with the highest attendance in 2012 was the CB Fat Tire 40, a big-single-loop race with several thousand feet of elevation gain over mostly technical singletrack. The XC peeps loved it.

Are the Winter Park XC races still a pretty traditional format? Seems when I peek at the schedule, the same races are always on there, year after year. Hill Climb. Tipperary. Etc. How's the attendance been for WPXC stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post

Yeah the CAT system is confusing, but I think only if you compare it to the "old" system. If you just look at the times of the people racing now, it's pretty even and simple. Pros still have the fastest times, with CAT 1 guys slower except for the occasional handful of guys that are real fast and trying for the Pro upgrade. CAT 2 is generally slower than CAT 1, save the random guy that'll show up for his first race or two and figure out he's CAT 1 fast and just needs the results to upgrade. CAT 3 is typically the slowest, often being beginner riders/racers. Sure there's exceptions, but overall it all shook out in the end I think?

Quote Originally Posted by rodeoj View Post
    Lotta good feedback here, spot on. I personally would like to see the Super-D races at the MSC events get LONGER... to me a sub-10-minute Super-D is really just a lame downhill race. Many of the mountains have access to longer trails, that even have better passing zones, I'd like to see them utilized. My sense is that the Super-D's have been trying to appeal more to the gravity racer, but the reality is most of the people racing Super-D/Enduro/etc. aren't "gravity" racers as much as they are "mountain bikers" and don't mind a bit of the pedaly stuff, even encourage it as you said "This mixes up the results a bit and "grows" those more accustomed to xc, and puts some lungs on the more gravity oriented riders."

Punch it, Chewie.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    And I also think that the numbers of people interested in racing traditional XC are basically on the decline.

The people who were racing XC in the 90s and maybe dabbled in 24 hour team racing, then 24 solo racing, are moving into dirt hundies and ultras. Look at the number of people who enter the Leadville 100 who are in their 40s and 50s.

And bike packing is getting huge among lots of people who were XC racers in the 90s and distance racers in the 00s. (And lots of other people). Used to be that you'd take riding to the next level by getting into competition. Now lots of people are taking it to the next level by getting custom bags sown up and taking off to camp.

But that's just my take.

Pretty much spot on Tom.

We had fields of 75+ riders in the Sport class back in the late 80's and early 90's. That was the meat and potato's.

The XC races got short, too easy and equipment has gotten too expensive to tear up. Guys my age moved on to distance racing, or got injured like me.

DH equipment improved and racing DH became safer in some regards.

Kids got interested in DH, Freeriding, etc... and so we've abandoned XC.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Coasting downhill is not racing. So no. There is no evolution going on here. Only Darwinism. Just sayin.
    Cuz ski racing isn't racing, either? Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm implied by the smiley?

Punch it, Chewie.

Team Velveeta™

skillz

I see the smiley, so I know you're not being totally negative.

I am pretty much an XC bigot, like I think you probably are. I like it that to be excellent at XC you have to be a strong pedaler, a strong bike handler, willing to turn yourself inside out when the time comes to be the first onto the singletrack, etc.

But seriously, I do see gravity as real racing. The winners really do bring mad bike handling skillz to it. Quite amazing to see what a real bike handler can do on a gnarly DH course.

But it's not nearly as multi-faceted as XC.

And I know you're a trail maintenance pro. DH as a trend has made life difficult for people responsible for the care and feeding of trails on public land.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Living the High Life
    ... roadies who raced...
    Yeah not following ya there.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Yeah the CAT system is confusing, but I think only if you compare it to the "old" system. If you just look at the times of the people racing now, it's pretty even and simple. Pros still have the fastest times, with CAT 1 guys slower except for the occasional handful of guys that are real fast and trying for the Pro upgrade. CAT 2 is generally slower than CAT 1, save the random guy that'll show up for his first race or two and figure out he's CAT 1 fast and just needs the results to upgrade. CAT 3 is typically the slowest, often being beginner riders/racers. Sure there's exceptions, but overall it all shook out in the end I think?
    While common sense totally agrees with you, who ever said people were that smart? Not really that common if common sense is that elusive no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast