mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Moving question superior

Hey all,

I just got a position in Boulder so I'll finally be joining the ranks in CO after months of searching and interviews. I've looked over all these threads and some other sources and think I found a good place to live, just wanted to see if there are opnions about the safety of the Superior area of Louisville. Specifically around the Coal Creek Golf Course.

Thanks to all the previous posts, I know a decent amount of folks recomended Louisville as a cheaper option than Boulder proper. This place is a 9 min drive (according to google) from my office. Hard to tell from stuff online how nice the area is though. No kids to worry about, just don't want crackheads breaking into my car once a week.

Any thoughts/opinions welcome. Thanks in advance to everyone!

The Notorious S.L.O
    not sure where you are coming from, but I don't think that Sup/Louisville suffers from a significant crack/homeless issue.
    I never lived out there, but worked nearby for 3+ years, never saw anything that indicated a crime or safety issue.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

tiny rider
    It's the 'burbs. Your only problem will be the folks cooking meth next door

I don't think you'll experience any rampant crime in the area. I'd still suggest locking your bike. This is coming from someone only commuting through your neighborhood of interest, though.

Congratulations on the move

pdh
    mtbr member
    I lived in Superior for four years. It's a non issue
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thanks

Hey guys I really appreciate the responses in backing my thoughts.

I had planned on keeping the bike indoors while not riding it anyways, just more of a "Can my gf walk down the street at night?" kind of question. I'm coming from the Washington D.C. area and there are definetely places that look kosher on paper that turn out to be fairly shaddy in the burbs and the city, especially when the lights go down.

Besides, meth I can deal with, just leave a suacer full of antifreeze outside and they'll get distracted

Thread Terrorist
    Superior is a nice place. I lived in Louisville when I first moved out here, and Superior had just started their own expansion called Rock Creek.

Since Boulder refuses to grow, the outlying area's have due to the job needs that Boulder has. As a result, Superior is more-less a large suburb with expensive housing (Mostly new within the last decade). Very family oriented, stuck between some open-space and Hwy 36. There's a new mall to the east that provides some nice high-end shopping and good resturants.

In my opinion, its probably safer than Boulder, Denver, or any other area. A nice, well kept place. It has grown over the years, and it has its traffic pains, but over-all a great spot. Go for it.

Do your homework: Depending on where you live, you need to time your commute. I have a co-worker in Superior that can make it to Downtown Boulder in the same amount of time I can (Golden). There are options: Louisville, Nederland, Golden, Arvada, Westminster, etc.

lucky enough
    There's old Superior - kind of a rural setting, closer to Boulder, and newer Superior, closer to Lousville, which is what Indecent mentioned. Very safe areas - no problems with women walking alone at night. You're close enough that you could ride your bike to work! And there's a trail network in Superior.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

tiny rider
    I just rode through the edge of Superior on a loop around Marshall Mesa. There is a ~15 mile loop of single-track, dirt and gravel road with a bit of pavement which would be exceedingly convenient to have nearby. On Saturday there is a trail building day (which I unfortunately can't make) to work on another 9? miles of trails connecting to this loop.

Not the best choice if it's windy, though. I was brought almost to a stand-still a couple times heading on the flat stretch of Coalton trail into the teeth of the wind today. It added significant randomness to my line choices as well

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

not safe for pets outside tho

Dogs & cast will be eaten by coyotes in Superior if you leave them out a night. The Coalton/High Plains, Marshall Mesa etc. loop is quite nice, especially at night.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

quite safe really

Not being a woman, not sure about night walking but these areas are extremely safe, probably safer than in Boulder itself as Boulder gets a small share of sex offenders/racists/drunks/brawlers/peepers/flashers who can cause some trouble especially very late at night.
    Last edited by jimmy; 10-18-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: double post

..ouch
    Lived in Rock Creek for a few years.. Typically the worst crime issues are occasional obnoxious teenagers. There was a short streak of home robberies for a summer but it was mainly due to some brave criminals that would just walk into the houses of folks that were dumb enough to leave everything unlocked while they slept. Overall it's more likely your car will get swallowed by expansive soil than stolen. The closest you'll come to mugging is an overzealous HOA member confiscating your grill because it's the wrong shade of grey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah the trail network looked pretty good, both for commuting and fun, a huge bonus.

Not sure if this is considered the new or old part of superior, but I'm guessing the new one. Idiot teenagers, we can deal with and we aren't too far out of college, so drunken idiots are still in our circle of friends anyways even though they are becoming an endangered species as time goes on. Also, growing up in this area, simple common sense is always used, i.e. locking front door, knowing how to avoid suspect areas, etc.

Thanks again everyone, can't wait to get out there, less than a month to go!

Ride Everything
    I live in Rock Creek. As an ex-Californian (ducking), I can tell you that it's pretty safe here. Just watch out for the inattentive drivers in their Hummers who are talking on the phone while driving...
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member

Smile

Remember several years back when Rock Creek residents came home to find their kids toys piled up with the trash by the curb? HOA Nazies.
    Remember a few years before that when Rock Creek was pictured on the NY Times featuring urban sprawl?
    Remember a few years before that when Rock Creek wasn't and Superior was 1/2 a block with 10-20 houses.

I love Rock Creek ... over there on your side.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Rolling
    The biggest problem out there is the expansive soils.

mtbr member
    Hey OP,

I just moved up here from living in SE Denver/boarder line Aurora for the past 6 months and all I can say is that it's night and day. Superior is like that movie Pleasantville, well not that lame but as far as safety goes, it doesn't get any better IMO. I live just up behind the Flat Irons mall which boarders Superior and Broomfield. It's a GREAT place to live, so great it costs more to live there than anywhere else in the greater suburbs of Denver with the exception of the Highlands Ranch area or parts of downtown. You have all the greatest commercial shopping needs to keep your wife content, a movie theatre, a mall, and lots of restaurants of all choices. As other's have mentioned there's a great high plains loop that offers 2.5 miles of single track, 2.5 miles of double track with single track on the side, and another 2.5 miles of dirt road along with some pavement to complete the loop. It's been my training spot to get use to the altitude, and like another mentioned, can get quiet windy... There's a really nice ball park near by where there's games every night ranging from soccer, to softball, and now football. There is also another park just outside of Rock creek to play some scrap games with the neighbors or just to take the dog for a walk. Homes seem to be all new for the most part within the past decade, and I haven't seen a shady character yet! Fire and police department are just over the hill from you (1 mile), and there are tons of paved pathways. As another mentioned, the coyote's do roam the high plains just do west (literally, everything west of Superior is open space protected land and then you hit the mountains) but I hike out there too with my dog and they don't bother him or I. It's fun coming over one of the hills and being startled by them chasing gofers. I'm not sure how else to describe it but all I have to say is that if you can afford it, if I could afford a house rather than this apartment, and had to live down here for work, Louisville and Superior are my top picks. Although you can find a really good deal on a house in Erie, but it's not as nice IMO.

Let me know if you have further questions, I've been out and about quiet a bit around here and have done a few house fix and flips in the area so I'm pretty familiar with the market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    I just rode through the edge of Superior on a loop around Marshall Mesa. There is a ~15 mile loop of single-track, dirt and gravel road with a bit of pavement which would be exceedingly convenient to have nearby. On Saturday there is a trail building day (which I unfortunately can't make) to work on another 9? miles of trails connecting to this loop.

Not the best choice if it's windy, though. I was brought almost to a stand-still a couple times heading on the flat stretch of Coalton trail into the teeth of the wind today. It added significant randomness to my line choices as well
    Hey I was out there yesterday myself and man was that wind kicking my arse. I got back to the jeep and the wind was so bad that it made my eyes look like I had just got done shooting up roids or smokin' weed they were so red.

Anyhow, wanted to ask you about this building day? Do you know where I can get info on this? I use this trail a lot and would like to contribute back some hard work to show my appreciation!

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    I live in Rock Creek. As an ex-Californian (ducking), I can tell you that it's pretty safe here. Just watch out for the inattentive drivers in their Hummers who are talking on the phone while driving...
    I KNEW IT!!! I thought all the californian's did that! I know the trait!

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    The biggest problem out there is the expansive soils.
    But Jesus put them there for a reason!

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    I KNEW IT!!! I thought all the californian's did that! I know the trait!
    "No Phil, I don't have the report ready... Dammit Jimmy quit hitting your sister! Sorry, not you, Phil... Anyway, I'm not sure when I'll have it ready."

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    But Jesus put them there for a reason!