Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,047

    Moving to the Front Range

    Greetings Ladies and Gents,

    Since the word is out on my currently local forum(North Carolina) that I am moving to the Front Range, might as well introduce myself and ask a few questions. I'll be moving to the Denver area in the beginning of September after my house closes and taking a job in Wheat Ridge or work out of my home as a consultant. Either way I'm looking at the West to North West end of Denver. I'd like to be close to Westminster(my sister lives there) so I'm looking at Westminster, Arvada, Golden, Wheatridge. My wife is a stay at home Mom with our two girls so being close to trails to save on gas(willing to ride up to 8-10 miles pavement one way) and being in a rent area of under $1000 is perferable. Any other areas I might want to consider close to trails? Can't wait to get out there and start riding regularly again.

    Cheers!

    Jeremy

  2. #2
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,813
    Hey Jeremy, there's a ton of threads on "relocating to the front range." Do a similar search and I'm sure you'll have more info/opinion than you cared to.

    Where ever you end up, give us all a shout out when you get here. There's a lot of good folk here to ride with. I remember reading some of your posts in passion a few years ago. I think you'll like it out here. There's lots of potential for all day marches in the woods. Come up north when you get out here and we'll show you a few

    ~dave
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Comrade K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    192
    If you're willing to ride some pavement as you say, all of these communities will suit you. There are numerous bike paths so you can probably avoid road travel if you choose.
    Of these, Golden is the closest to trails but also the more expensive. In today's housing market though, who knows?
    Most of the trails found close to the metro area are part of the Jefferson County Open Space Parks system. Check out their website to get an idea of locations...
    http://www.jeffco.us/openspace/

  4. #4
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    I'm already in the boat. I work out of my house, have two kids and a stay at home mom/wife. That said, your closest commute to fun would be Golden, but Arvada, Morrison, Lakewood and Wheatridge would be a bit cheaper. When you get out here, look us up.

    IE

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    50
    If you get down my way, the springs, I'll show ya some trails here too I'm originally from asheville and charlotte also.. moved here about a year ago. love it so far.. tons of nice trails really close to home, I think you'll enjoy yourself The dirt is a LOT different here, looser gravely kinda stuff, a whole lot different from pisgah, so new rubber may be in your future :P

    welcome, and feel free to pm me if your down my way

  6. #6
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,047
    From the looks of it we're heading to Westminster. Just renting an apartment for now until we can get out and learn the areas and see where we might want to buy. I haven't been riding that much lately, just looking for some good short loops(15-20 miles) in the beginning but I'm sure the itchin will come back to do some all day epics.

    Anything within riding distance from Westminster?

    Are there any websites with maps of the urban trail systems? My wife has just sold her Electra Cruiser but I'm building her and possibly me a Soma Juice. Went from a 29er back to a 26er and couldn't stand it, back to a steel 29er it is. Yup, I'm another one sold on the kool aid .

    Thanks for the other tips guys and when I get back in respectable shape I'll be looking you up Dave for the northern rides and always looking to get back down to the Springs, Dgrif.

    Jeremy

  7. #7
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,498
    I'm thinking that a 4-person place for under $1000 is going to be nearly impossible to find anywhere near the west side unless:

    1) You don't mind living in a tiny place with 4 people
    2) You don't mind living in a complete dump

    I guess I could be wrong...

  8. #8
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,047
    We're just looking into a 2 bedroom for right now. My girls are 3 and 1 so they can share a room. We're looking at the big cookie cutter style apartments with the pool, fittness center, and such. Gotta have a garage though as I'll be buying another VW bus as soon as I get to town, which means I need a place to perform the maintenance. Most of what is our price range is Westminster, Lakewood, and Wheat Ridge. My job will most likely be commissioned based so we're being a bit cautious at the moment. Probably can afford more but thats just more to put down for a bigger down payment on a new home later. I'm all about paying off my home as quickly as possible.

  9. #9
    tiny rider
    Reputation: cartographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Are there any websites with maps of the urban trail systems? My wife has just sold her Electra Cruiser but I'm building her and possibly me a Soma Juice. Went from a 29er back to a 26er and couldn't stand it, back to a steel 29er it is. Yup, I'm another one sold on the kool aid .
    Until recently, denvertrails.com was a perfect place for following up on all the local urban trails (of which there are many). It seems to have expired, but you can at least poke around with the internet wayback machine here, for example:
    http://www.archive.org/web/200708072...com/index.html

    That won't give you the latest updates, but the system map is still generally valid.

    Another good resource is http://geobiking.org maintained by a mtbrer. You can view lots of urban trails in Google Earth. Well worth a click.

    Welcome to the area.

  10. #10
    pin 'er up
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    We're just looking into a 2 bedroom for right now. My girls are 3 and 1 so they can share a room. We're looking at the big cookie cutter style apartments with the pool, fittness center, and such. Gotta have a garage though as I'll be buying another VW bus as soon as I get to town, which means I need a place to perform the maintenance. Most of what is our price range is Westminster, Lakewood, and Wheat Ridge. My job will most likely be commissioned based so we're being a bit cautious at the moment. Probably can afford more but thats just more to put down for a bigger down payment on a new home later. I'm all about paying off my home as quickly as possible.
    Go for Lakewood...Westminster will leave you wishing you were closer to all the beautiful trails in Lakewood...I have trail 1 mile from the house, if I lived in Westminster I would be driving a painful drive to the trail. Good luck in the search!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  11. #11
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    I've been looking for a new place and wrongmont (Longmont) seems like the cheapest, I found a place on the West end of town for $1300/mo that would be $1k more if it were 10 min. to the SW (Boulder). Its also 10 min. form the bottom of Left Hand Canyon, 15 min to Lyons. I guess its up to what you prefer, I'd rather ride in the relatively empty trails in the National Forest than JeffCo trails... not that I don't like crowded trails, sanitation, leash laws, and yield ambushes set up by rangers
    .




    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

  12. #12
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,676
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Anything within riding distance from Westminster?

    Yup, I'm another one sold on the kool aid .
    You may be able to ride to Dowdy Draw, short but sweet.

    Many popular rides in Boulder county and Jefferson county are about a 15 - 20 minute drive away.

    Many local commuting paths, with bits 'o singletrack thrown in.

    Give a call when you get in, I enjoy an occasional swig of Kool-Aid as well.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  13. #13
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,047
    Looks like we've decided on the Red Rocks Apartments in Lakewood until we can learn the area and find out where we want to buy a house. Looks fairly close to quite a bit of riding and Chipotle's is just around the corner. Double Score! This will be our 1st experience with a community apartment so hopefully it'll go well. Look forward to meeting some of you and riding all of Colorado's finest trails. See ya in September.

    Jeremy

  14. #14
    percocet pioneer.
    Reputation: $ally Hu$tle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Looks like we've decided on the Red Rocks Apartments in Lakewood until we can learn the area and find out where we want to buy a house. Looks fairly close to quite a bit of riding and Chipotle's is just around the corner. Double Score! This will be our 1st experience with a community apartment so hopefully it'll go well. Look forward to meeting some of you and riding all of Colorado's finest trails. See ya in September.

    Jeremy
    The Chipotle on Union makes some of the fattest burritos around. mmmm..

  15. #15
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,047
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    The Chipotle on Union makes some of the fattest burritos around. mmmm..
    I haven't had them since last time I was in Colorado over 4 years ago. We have some knock off Cai Burrito places here in western NC but none compare to Chipotle. Looking forward to the gorging.

    Jeremy

  16. #16
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,498
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    I haven't had them since last time I was in Colorado over 4 years ago. We have some knock off Cai Burrito places here in western NC but none compare to Chipotle. Looking forward to the gorging.

    Jeremy
    Boy, if you think Chipotle is good, are you in for a treat.

  17. #17
    Heathen
    Reputation: TooManyToyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I'm thinking that a 4-person place for under $1000 is going to be nearly impossible to find anywhere near the west side unless:

    1) You don't mind living in a tiny place with 4 people
    2) You don't mind living in a complete dump

    I guess I could be wrong...
    Ditto. Its a lousy rental market right now. If you can afford it, consider buying. We currently live in Golden but our landlord is selling the house we are in and we have to be out by the end of Sept. We've had zero luck finding a decent rental so we are starting to look at the buy option instead.

    I will say that if you can find a place, Golden makes a great jumping off point for a huge amount of riding.

    Good luck. No matter where you end up around here, it's worth it!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    You may be able to ride to Dowdy Draw, short but sweet.
    I need to check that one out, I think.

    Glenn Dowdy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •